Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 30 2019 - 03:34 PM

I have gpu scaling enabled for a long time, I remember having problems when that was switched off. But than it was usually a black screen or ctd. At the moment different settings for gpu scaling make no difference for the issue.

Now as soon as the main menu loads there is no mouse cursor. When i than click or press enter on the keyboard the cursor appears, but with the loading animation. Interestingly: when I move the 'loading' cursor over a small block  in the middle of the main menu it shows as a normal mouse pointer. (Could be the 640x480 pixels in the middle of a 1920x1080 resoluton if that makes sense). But it doesn't do anything because gpl stops working as soon as the menu loads.

I've just uninstalled gem+ and reinstalled it to a different location. With the fresh gem+ install my old gpl install loads fine again, but after a couple of restarts the same problem is back. No changes made during the different start ups, it just randomly stops working. Somehow changing force feedback settings than make it work again, but only for a short while. After 1 or 2 restart it stops working period. Somehow other mods will still work when this has happend, but they develop the same problem after a while.

*Update* Changing seasons can also make the menu load properly again, but again not permenantly.

Edited by Millennium, Apr 30 2019 - 03:46 PM.

#22 rcb

rcb

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 117 posts

Posted Apr 30 2019 - 03:48 PM

Have you tried adding all the mods (including gpl.exe) and GEM itself to the eset exclusion list?  What's happening to you is exactly the same symptoms I had.   Toggling patches in gem would work for 1 boot then fail the next.

#23 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted Apr 30 2019 - 04:00 PM

Yes I have done that, adding them made no difference.

It seems to be related to season or controller settings, changes in one of them can make the game load again for once. When I choose a new season it will always load the first time.

Everything else makes no difference (player profile, gpu settings, exclusion list, installation location, backup or new gpl/gem installation, usb devices plugged in etc).

Edited by Millennium, Apr 30 2019 - 04:03 PM.

#24 rcb

rcb

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 117 posts

Posted Apr 30 2019 - 04:16 PM

Weird, because all the things that you are seeing are things I saw and tried too.  Old backups , reinstall, repatching, and spinning menus.  I hate to keep pushing this angle but maybe try uninstalling eset.  If nothing else it will rule it out completely as the problem.   If that's not it, it's fairly easy to reinstall.

#25 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted May 01 2019 - 08:35 AM

It's good you mention it again. I just did a test:

1. Starting gpl trough gem+ with nothing changed = freeze
2. Disabling antivirus alltogether = works
3. Enabling antivirus and add the gpl**.exe's to exclusion for real time security = works
4. Disabling the exclusion again = works
5. Enabled the exclusion again just to be sure = works (so far)

Just to be sure I did a reinstall and added the exclusion path for real time security. Before I had only added them to the HIPS exclusion list, which probably wasn't the one I needed to add?

I will do some more test later tonight, to see if it keeps working now. But your suggestion might be the right call.

Edited by Millennium, May 01 2019 - 08:38 AM.

#26 rcb

rcb

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 117 posts

Posted May 01 2019 - 11:00 AM

Good to hear.  For me it still didn't work when I disabled real time protection, but did when I disabled hips.  I'm going to go ahead and add the gpl files to the real time exclusions as well to be safe.  Either way, the newest Eset updates don't like gem and gpl.

#27 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted May 01 2019 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the advice rcb, I would have never thought of Eset as the source of the problem. (There were no warnings)  Just last month I renewed my eset license and I'm not sure but I believe there was an installation to a newer version of the program involved too. Right before I got all the strange freezes. That would explain everything.

I'm happy everything is working again. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links