#1 tincup

tincup

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 14 2020 - 06:22 PM

I like to turn off "crowds" during practice sessions - which is mostly how I enjoy GPL. Unclicking "crowds" works pretty well to create the desired forlorn and deserted track feeling for the original Papy tracks, but lots of custom tracks are loaded with long ribbons and of avid spectators. Are there empty mip files that can be dropped into the track folder to make them go away? Is there a consistent naming convention for crowds and spectators?

Ooops that should read "From" in the thread title

Edited by tincup, Jul 14 2020 - 06:26 PM.

#2 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:graphic design

Posted Jul 14 2020 - 11:13 PM

You can make them disappear with properly named transparent mips in the track folder, but I'm afraid you must check all original files for their sizes. Personally I would rather spend that time with driving :)

#3 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 04:48 AM

you have to open the dat file the people mip  or srb   files in some cases  dont always have the same name  on every tracks , but in this case i thinq size doesnt matter

#4 tincup

tincup

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 05:51 AM

View PostKARTM, on Jul 15 2020 - 04:48 AM, said:

you have to open the dat file the people mip  or srb   files in some cases  dont always have the same name  on every tracks , but in this case i thinq size doesnt matter

I've had fun and good luck swapping textures between tracks. If I see a nice "grass" or "asphalt" in a particular track upgrade it's often possible to to drop it in another track. Sometimes a little trial and error to get the right file name right - like changing an "asph1" to asphalt03. That sort of thing. File size hasn't been an issue. I guess I need a dat editor to explore what files are associated with the tracks, and look for files named "people" or "spectator" etc.. Are there "transparent" mips floating araound?

Edited by tincup, Jul 15 2020 - 05:53 AM.

#5 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 405 posts

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 06:00 AM

http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=10919 for dat opening and mip,srb,pbf conversion  winmip2 is still the tool i use

#6 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 405 posts

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 06:07 AM

thats the one i use ,i dont remember were it come from , you copy and rename it , again sometime people and objects ect  are srb files too

Attached Files

#7 tincup

tincup

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 06:10 AM

View PostKARTM, on Jul 15 2020 - 06:00 AM, said:

http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=10919 for dat opening and mip,srb,pbf conversion  winmip2 is still the tool i use

Cool thanks - I'll check it out. I found a GPL file viewer but it only views extracted files so it doesn't help in identifying pesky spectators bound up in the dat itself.

#8 Saiph

Saiph

Still driving 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,203 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. simulations, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 06:11 AM

I've never tried it myself, but I think it should be fairly simple to create an empty, transparent BMP image using a graphics program. Maybe make it 32x32, but size shouldn't really matter. Then convert that to a MIP (or SRB) using WinMip. Then copy and rename it to your track directory to replace whichever crowd image you want to remove. For MIPs, it might be a good idea to check the details of the original crowd image file though, as there are different types of MIP file, and it might cause problems if you don't keep the image types consistent.

For searching the contents of DAT files, I use DATMan http://srmz.net/inde...497 as it allows you to browse them without extracting everything first. However, some people have problems getting DATMan to run as it appears to need certain MS DLL files to be present. Check the info further down that thread.

Edited by Saiph, Jul 15 2020 - 06:17 AM.

#9 tincup

tincup

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 06:11 AM

View PostKARTM, on Jul 15 2020 - 06:07 AM, said:

thats the one i use ,i dont remember were it come from , you copy and rename it , again sometime people and objects ect  are srb files too

Hey great thanks again. If I run into a an spectato srb file is it a similar routine?

#10 tincup

tincup

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 06:19 AM

View PostSaiph, on Jul 15 2020 - 06:11 AM, said:

I've never tried it myself, but I think it should be fairly simple to create an empty, transparent BMP image using a graphics program. Maybe make it 32x32, but size shouldn't really matter. Then convert that to a MIP using WinMip. Then copy and rename it to your track directory to replace whichever crowd MIP you want to remove. It might be a good idea to check the details of the original crowd MIP file though, as there are different types, and it might cause problems if you don't keep the image types consistent.

I'll try the simple techniques first. The main goal is to take out or at least reduce those unending flat ribbons of standing spectators that often line the track or grace neaby slopes. Hopefully they are mips and have deducable names..

My first experiment was to take an ordinary "fence" mip and rename it, but I've had no luck guessing what the spectator mips are called - or if they are mips. I searched my track directories and haven't found individual mips that look the part either - so I'm guessing they are integrated into the dats.

Edited by tincup, Jul 15 2020 - 06:20 AM.

#11 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,245 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 06:22 AM

I advise to use Fred Simms DAT man to check DAT files, you can see them very quickly without extract anything (see attachment).
You then replace the MIP files that interest you with the invisible.mip attached here too (just make a copy and rename it).
The most used name is peoxxxxx.MIP
Don't worry about SRB files since they are usually single or little groups of people that shouldn't bother much for your purpose.
Ciao! :wave:

Attached Files

#12 tincup

tincup

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 06:26 AM

View Postginetto, on Jul 15 2020 - 06:22 AM, said:

I advise to use Fred Simms DAT man to check DAT files, you can see them very quickly without extract anything (see attachment).
You then replace the MIP files that interest you with the invisible.mip attached here too (just make a copy and rename it).
The most used name is peoxxxxx.MIP
Don't worry about SRB files since they are usually single or little groups of people that shouldn't bother much for your purpose.
Ciao! :wave:

awesome! I have the tools now...

Edited by tincup, Jul 15 2020 - 06:30 AM.

#13 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 405 posts

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 06:28 AM

with winmip theres no problem , first you "unpack" the track dat file, generally names of the mip and srb are obvious

#14 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,245 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 06:41 AM

A very quick tool to see loose MIP and SRB files is RaceCon.
Just associate mips and srb with it and a double click in file manager will open them.
Attached File  RaceCon.7z   488.36K   10 downloads

WinMip works but its main purpose is to convert BMP to MIP or other GPL format files and back.
DATman is much quicker for a purpose like tincup's :)

#15 tincup

tincup

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Jul 15 2020 - 07:52 AM

Dat Manager and the invisible mip... My first patient was Bugatti - simple track and easy to spot people etc. Viewing the mips inside the track dat I figured out what to look for and isolate the real offenders. Then wth a little trial and error I picked and chose what gets toggled on when "CROWDS" is enabled in the the game and what always stays invisible.

This is gold. I can see editing other things like wall and fence textures, track/grass edges etc.

Another trick in the arsenal is the wonderful "Fog" utility I recently discovered. Besides making a track overcast or foggy to any degree (the old ...hmmm looks like it may rain, what do you think? wets? - no boss, I got a feeling it will blow over - stick with them dries...), it can also mask a less than perfect sky, horizon and mid to long range graphic effects and textures. As fine as the Snetterton track is throw a light mist on things and you really know where you are...

I added levels of mist/overcast to all the ICR2 tracks I converted years ago with Noonans converter. It effectely obscures all the low res background features in a cool way. The focus is now on track and roadside features which are not at all shabby. Fun running the 69 mod through the streets of Vancouver or Surfers Paradise.

Edited by tincup, Jul 15 2020 - 02:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links