badbob099

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:i like to sim race
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Feb 28 2018 - 12:49 PM

I don't know if anybody has this problem but when i use my wheel and do a race it tends to break away from the gaming steering it becomes a little off and aligns back. also when i calibrate the wheel in the options menu. it tends to be a little be off to the left.
How to i fix this???

#2 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 28 2018 - 04:07 PM

I have a G27 but I'm really puzzled by your problem badbob. It's quite a while since I've been able to hook up my wheel and use it unfortunately, but I don't recall having any problem like yours in the past.

The only problem I get is that if I've left my wheel for a few days between races, the pedals can be a little rough when I try to calibrate them. I have to "exercise" the pedals about 20 - 30 times up and down to rub off any oxide which has accumulated, and then they work smoothly. But the wheel doesn't usually give me any problems.

How old is your wheel? Is there a chance that perhaps it might be getting a little worn? On the other hand, if it's fairly new, it might be worth talking to Logitech customer support and describing the problem to them. They might be able to give you advice.

I've done a little Googling, and the only thing which I've seen which refers to loss of calibration or centering is a problem where the optical encoding wheel for the steering has become cracked. Unfortunately, it looks like it's a bit tricky to fix, although it can be done at home if you're used to building or upgrading PCs, and dealing with circuit boards, connectors, small screws etc.

Try Googling for "logitech steering optical encoder" and see if any of the articles describe the symptoms that you're getting. But remember, this is just an educated guess on my part, it might not be your problem.

Here are a couple of helpful items I found:

Brass replacement wheels: http://cmlaserservice.com/index.html
A Steam article on the problem: https://steamcommuni...s/?id=502354163
(EDIT: The Steam article has links further down which point to some useful YouTube videos on the subject.)

To be honest, I hope that this isn't your problem, and that someone can suggest something different with a simpler fix. Good luck! :crossfingers:

Edited by Saiph, Feb 28 2018 - 04:10 PM.

#3 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Feb 28 2018 - 04:26 PM

Look here : http://www.simracers...php?topic=438.0

#4 badbob099

badbob099

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Feb 28 2018 - 06:51 PM

Its not the wheel bc it works fine on other games. Its gpl itself. The animation of the wheel and hands are off. Like for example when i drive into the grass or gravel the hands and wheel just go on its own and not on the same position my wheel is. On some corners i take its like off by a few degrees like it has a steering assist or something. Ever since i first played the game in 2010 ive had this problem but im kinda tired of it bc i see videos of others playing it and its just as smooth as the other games.

#5 badbob099

badbob099

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Feb 28 2018 - 06:51 PM

Its not the wheel bc it works fine on other games. Its gpl itself. The animation of the wheel and hands are off. Like for example when i drive into the grass or gravel the hands and wheel just go on its own and not on the same position my wheel is. On some corners i take its like off by a few degrees like it has a steering assist or something. Ever since i first played the game in 2010 ive had this problem but im kinda tired of it bc i see videos of others playing it and its just as smooth as the other games.

#6 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Feb 28 2018 - 08:48 PM

View Postbadbob099, on Feb 28 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

Its not the wheel bc it works fine on other games. .......

Ah. It would have been helpful if you'd mentioned that you'd tested it on other games. Never mind.

One other thought that's just come to mind - are you using the GPL "steering hack"? This adjusts the steering lock at slow speeds to allow you to get around sharp corners. It should be turned off when you're using a steering wheel as it's only really intended for use with joysticks or other controllers with limited turning range.

In case you don't know where the option is, bring up GEM, and click on the "Controls" button on the right-hand side. When the dialog box appears, make sure the tick box at the top next to "Enable Steering Hack" is clear.

#7 badbob099

badbob099

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Mar 01 2018 - 02:40 PM

View PostSaiph, on Feb 28 2018 - 08:48 PM, said:

View Postbadbob099, on Feb 28 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

Its not the wheel bc it works fine on other games. .......

Ah. It would have been helpful if you'd mentioned that you'd tested it on other games. Never mind.

One other thought that's just come to mind - are you using the GPL "steering hack"? This adjusts the steering lock at slow speeds to allow you to get around sharp corners. It should be turned off when you're using a steering wheel as it's only really intended for use with joysticks or other controllers with limited turning range.

In case you don't know where the option is, bring up GEM, and click on the "Controls" button on the right-hand side. When the dialog box appears, make sure the tick box at the top next to "Enable Steering Hack" is clear.

Tried it diddnt work

#8 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,284 posts

Posted Mar 01 2018 - 04:15 PM

Try deleting the controls.cfg file in C:\Games\Sierra\GPL\players\(your player name)

Remember there is one of these for each player you've created.

Then you'll just have to re-calibrate (first before you assign) and re-assign axes and buttons when you open GPL next time

#9 mclovin

mclovin

Tazio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Cars, bikes, racing.
    Racing history.

Posted Mar 02 2018 - 06:12 PM

My G27 did this, It would 'go off' to the left in game, after re calibration it was ok again, then it would happen again, it did this for about two weeks then it started going off to the left or right. Then intermittently it stopped doing its self check rotations when you turned it on, or it would get half way through and not turn the other way. I contacted Logitech and they asked me to do some checks and lots of re calibrations the more I did this the worse the problem got.
Logitech confirmed that it was faulty and sent me a new one, they never asked for the old one back, so I took it to bits.
All I could find was a hairline crack in the plastic optical encoder wheel (I had to use a magnifying glass to see it). I superglued this crack, rebuilt the wheel and It did not work.
I stripped it again and noticed under magnifying glass that I must have touched the wheel with glue applicator (a cocktail stick) and filled one of the tiny slots with superglue, I took a scalpel and cleaned out the glue filled slot and rebuilt the wheel. That was about 18 months ago and its been fine since.
I may be wrong but check the optical wheel, very closely, I couldn't believe how delicate this part  is or how accurate it has to be.
If it is the wheel, there are plastic and brass ones for sale on ebay and the internet. The early ones have more slots (60) usually for G25 than the later ones (these have 30 slots).
Also check if its still under warranty I believe they give you 3 years.

#10 badbob099

badbob099

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Mar 02 2018 - 07:21 PM

View Postmclovin, on Mar 02 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

My G27 did this, It would 'go off' to the left in game, after re calibration it was ok again, then it would happen again, it did this for about two weeks then it started going off to the left or right. Then intermittently it stopped doing its self check rotations when you turned it on, or it would get half way through and not turn the other way. I contacted Logitech and they asked me to do some checks and lots of re calibrations the more I did this the worse the problem got.
Logitech confirmed that it was faulty and sent me a new one, they never asked for the old one back, so I took it to bits.
All I could find was a hairline crack in the plastic optical encoder wheel (I had to use a magnifying glass to see it). I superglued this crack, rebuilt the wheel and It did not work.
I stripped it again and noticed under magnifying glass that I must have touched the wheel with glue applicator (a cocktail stick) and filled one of the tiny slots with superglue, I took a scalpel and cleaned out the glue filled slot and rebuilt the wheel. That was about 18 months ago and its been fine since.
I may be wrong but check the optical wheel, very closely, I couldn't believe how delicate this part  is or how accurate it has to be.
If it is the wheel, there are plastic and brass ones for sale on ebay and the internet. The early ones have more slots (60) usually for G25 than the later ones (these have 30 slots).
Also check if its still under warranty I believe they give you 3 years.

but its just gpl. all the other games I have worked fine no problem...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links