confuzius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:motorbikes, petanque, philosophy,
    psychology, GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 24 2010 - 01:19 AM

Following good advise given to me from all sides , but lastly in the current thread "What would they use" I decided to make a experimental setup using the default ferrari which i set the ratio to 1: 10
In the logitech controller i set the rotations to 480 degrees.
Now when going back into gem and GPL i found the following two little surprises: 1 ) Instead of the expected 24 degrees steering that i expected to find, i had much less than befor , (only about half of the 19 degrees i had with my 1:5 at 190 degrees)
2 ) I had 5 reverse gears and 1 forward
go figure !!!!!!!

Edited by grego, Apr 24 2010 - 01:21 AM.

#2 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 24 2010 - 02:01 AM

View Postgrego, on Apr 24 2010 - 01:19 AM, said:

Following good advise given to me from all sides , but lastly in the current thread "What would they use" I decided to make a experimental setup using the default ferrari which i set the ratio to 1: 10
Now when going back into gem and GPL i found the following two little surprises: 1 ) Instead of the expected 24 degrees steering that i expected to find, i had much less than befor , (only about half of the 19 degrees i had with my 1:5 at 190 degrees)
go figure !!!!!!!
Drive Backwards  :lol:

Sorry Grego, just having a laugh, not being nasty though. I'm sure somebody will help you sort it but I don't know what would cause it.

Anyway good luck with it  :roflmao:

#3 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Apr 24 2010 - 02:40 AM

go figure !!!!!!!

For the steering, I think what you found would be correct. To maintain your hyper quick steering, if you increased the steering ration to 1:10 then you would need to decrease the rotation to have the same relationship. I actually use 5:1 on my GPL setups, but I have my rotation set at 500 deg, but no doubt my steering is no where near as quick as yours. You use the quickest steering available from the combination of setup ratio setting and wheel rotation. There are no other combinations that will achieve this. You will always end up with slower steering if you change anything.

For the gears, I think you are making it up?!!  :)

#4 grego

grego

confuzius

• Members
  • 491 posts
    psychology, GPL

Posted Apr 24 2010 - 04:46 AM

View PostKen, on Apr 24 2010 - 02:40 AM, said:

go figure !!!!!!!

For the steering, I think what you found would be correct. To maintain your hyper quick steering, if you increased the steering ration to 1:10 then you would need to decrease the rotation to have the same relationship. I actually use 5:1 on my GPL setups, but I have my rotation set at 500 deg, but no doubt my steering is no where near as quick as yours. You use the quickest steering available from the combination of setup ratio setting and wheel rotation. There are no other combinations that will achieve this. You will always end up with slower steering if you change anything.

For the gears, I think you are making it up?!! :)

the idea behind the experiment was to NOT keep the same tight (quick ) steering setup but to change it to whatever everybody else seems to prefer. While with the above setting i was still going to come away short of the recommendet 30degrees, at least i was going to have an increas from 19 to 24 degrees.. Instead i now have much less.
I am always one for having a laugh, and i also do not mind if somebody has a laugh on me but i would never go as far as to invent something as silly as the reversed gear change.
And it is a bit late for a april fools joke. :)

In logitech controll panel I now also seem to have weird things happening. When doing the tests the little wheel in the top left corner only moves 90 degrees each way even though it is set to do 480/240 and when i test the gear change paddles the whole rig start shaking like crazy. :(

#5 Ken

Ken

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Apr 24 2010 - 06:40 AM

View Postgrego, on Apr 24 2010 - 04:46 AM, said:

View PostKen, on Apr 24 2010 - 02:40 AM, said:

go figure !!!!!!!

For the gears, I think you are making it up?!! :)

the idea behind the experiment was to NOT keep the same tight (quick ) steering setup but to change it to whatever everybody else seems to prefer. While with the above setting i was still going to come away short of the recommendet 30degrees, at least i was going to have an increas from 19 to 24 degrees.. Instead i now have much less.
I am always one for having a laugh, and i also do not mind if somebody has a laugh on me but i would never go as far as to invent something as silly as the reversed gear change.
And it is a bit late for a april fools joke. :)

In logitech controll panel I now also seem to have weird things happening. When doing the tests the little wheel in the top left corner only moves 90 degrees each way even though it is set to do 480/240 and when i test the gear change paddles the whole rig start shaking like crazy. :(

Sorry, I misread your post, I didn't realise you had somehow ended up with even quicker steering!!! Very strange.

Not sure about the logitech control panel. I think it maybe meant to do that.

#6 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,243 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Apr 24 2010 - 07:55 AM

Well, well, grego,
as Stan used to say to Ollie, "you/ve really messed things up now." And of course, Ollie was not the reason things were messed up. It was circumstance and innocent mistakes. Not that you have made any...but it may be the only thing to do is start over and uninstall and re-install the wheel and pedals. (Not a big deal...maybe twenty minutes labor). Back in the day, (before I was aware of GPL forums), I would go through days trying to figure out why I was the only one in the world who could screw things up so bad.
First, try re-setting the wheel and pedals in GPL/options/controls. Redo "set controls," then calibrate. Then you might try setting up a new Logitech Profiler game configuration file, just don't use the old one as a basis. And sometimes, just restarting your computer fixes things like this. And if you are using GEM, try going outside by opening GPL directly by clicking through SIERRA/gpl/gpl.exe, (rather than gplc). Ninety degree rotation in one direction, gears messed up, axis properties messed up...too many things wrong, right? Really, my only 100 accurate advice is fumble around until it works. And when I say fumble, I mean it in the most technically sophisticated way.
This is one good reason to have more than one GPL install, so you can verify where a problem is for sure...is it outside a GPL install or inside.
Sorry I can't offer more help. Good luck, though.

Edited by John Woods, Apr 24 2010 - 05:38 PM.

#7 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Apr 24 2010 - 10:56 AM

I also like where Ollie says "That's another fine mess you've gotten us into.".   :lol2:

I'm going to try some graphic aids.  I use 480 degrees (how come I don't have a degree button on this keyboard?) and 7:1 steering ratio.  When I took this shot the wheel was turned all the way to the right.  My wheel went way past 90deg. to 240 deg..  

Yup, when you push a button while in the properties screen it will give a demo of the effects.  Like ufo, wooden bridge, and icy road.  At least you know they work!  It sounds to me like you got the shift up and shift down set backwards in the GPL calibration page. Try doing it again.  

I don't think you can make the hairpins at Monaco with a 10:1 ratio.  I use 7:1 everywhere.

Attached Files

• Attached File  G251.jpg   101.14K   36 downloads

#8 Remco Hitman - guest

Remco Hitman - guest
  • Guests

Posted Apr 24 2010 - 11:44 AM

More problems huh? Why am I not surprised.  :P

1. Where did you check your front wheel deflection?  Seriously, I wouldn't know.

2. Profiler is fine. It only ever goes to 90deg and pressing buttons while in the profiler showcases various FF effects.

View Postmiklkit, on Apr 24 2010 - 10:56 AM, said:

It sounds to me like you got the shift up and shift down set backwards in the GPL calibration page. Try doing it again.  

Edited by Remco Hitman, Apr 24 2010 - 11:51 AM.

#9 grego

grego

confuzius

• Members
  • 491 posts
    psychology, GPL

Posted Apr 24 2010 - 03:54 PM

View PostRemco Hitman, on Apr 24 2010 - 11:44 AM, said:

More problems huh? Why am I not surprised. :P

1. Where did you check your front wheel deflection? Seriously, I wouldn't know.

2. Profiler is fine. It only ever goes to 90deg and pressing buttons while in the profiler showcases various FF effects.

View Postmiklkit, on Apr 24 2010 - 10:56 AM, said:

It sounds to me like you got the shift up and shift down set backwards in the GPL calibration page. Try doing it again.
Remco
I only know 1 place where I can check the front wheel deflections and that is being stationary in the pits. I measure the edge of the tires against the mirriors.
Thats is why i know that my "Standard setting" 5:1 -190 degrees gives MORE wheel deflection that your setting which is 10:1 and 600 degrees

Miklkit
As far as the revers gears is concernd, this has fixed itself, dunno how. and no i could not have calibrated them wrongly simply because i did not do a reacalibration of the wheel :lol:

Maybe this is your way of telling me that everytime I change a value in the logitech controller and or the steering ratio i should recallibrate the wheel ?????:oops:

Edited by grego, Apr 24 2010 - 03:57 PM.

#10 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted Apr 24 2010 - 05:09 PM

I will just say that since I've installed the latest Logitech Profiler my wheel sometimes goes out of calibration by itself.  What has worked for me so far is to just unplug the wheel at the USB port, wait a bit, and then plug it back in.  It resets itself ok after that.  I go ahead and recalibrate it in GPL anyway.

#11 grego

grego

confuzius

• Members
  • 491 posts
    psychology, GPL

Posted Apr 24 2010 - 05:25 PM

View Postmiklkit, on Apr 24 2010 - 05:09 PM, said:

I will just say that since I've installed the latest Logitech Profiler my wheel sometimes goes out of calibration by itself. What has worked for me so far is to just unplug the wheel at the USB port, wait a bit, and then plug it back in. It resets itself ok after that. I go ahead and recalibrate it in GPL anyway.
Thanks mate , i have recalibrated it . I don't use the profiler because i only use the wheel for gpl, nothing else.
How do you go about checking the degrees of deflection of the front wheels ?
Is my method of gauging the edge of the tire against the mirrors useless ?

#12 miklkit

miklkit

airhead

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted Apr 24 2010 - 05:36 PM

Umm, I don't think what you see is all that accurate.  I never bothered to look tho.  I just go to Monaco and adjust the steering until the car gets around the hairpins in good shape. If it is still stable on the straights, then that's it.  With the old 270 deg. wheel I used 12:1 everywhere but Monaco, where I used 10:1.  With the G25 480 deg. and 7:1 works everywhere for me. Your mileage may vary. :)

#13 grego

grego

confuzius

• Members
  • 491 posts
    psychology, GPL

Posted Apr 24 2010 - 06:29 PM

View Postmiklkit, on Apr 24 2010 - 05:36 PM, said:

Umm, I don't think what you see is all that accurate. I never bothered to look tho. I just go to Monaco and adjust the steering until the car gets around the hairpins in good shape. If it is still stable on the straights, then that's it. With the old 270 deg. wheel I used 12:1 everywhere but Monaco, where I used 10:1. With the G25 480 deg. and 7:1 works everywhere for me. Your mileage may vary. :)
you seem to have the same approach like me, if it aint broke , don't try to fix it :D
Maybe i should just ignore all the help offered and stick with what i've got.

While i think that of course the degrees set in logitech are correct in as far as they are measurable on our steering wheels, once in GPL who knows just exactly how many degrees of
deflection there is going to be , regardless of the choosen ratio.

#14 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,243 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Apr 24 2010 - 06:42 PM

grego,

You're starting to sound like an expert.

#15 grego

grego

confuzius

• Members
  • 491 posts
    psychology, GPL

Posted Apr 24 2010 - 10:22 PM

View PostJohn Woods, on Apr 24 2010 - 06:42 PM, said:

grego,

You're starting to sound like an expert.

:lol::wow, talkin about going from zero to hero !
But really i whish that somewhere in gpl i could set the actual degrees of frontwheel deflection, let's say for arguments sake, 30 degrees.
Then i could still choose the ratio and the degrees of turn of the steering wheel seperatly.
I am now probably back to talking crapp again but hei "what goes around comes around " :lol:

Edited by grego, Apr 24 2010 - 10:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links