Joseph P

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 27 2021 - 10:19 PM

I've made (I hope) a replay clip of 2 laps @ Silver in the Cooper, I named it, and saved it. Uhhhmmm....where did I save it to and once I find it, how do I get it from GPL to here?

Curious also about the clip fails to show the driver's arm shifting the shifter...so I guess that answers my earlier question.

Edited by Joseph P, Feb 27 2021 - 10:23 PM.

#83 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,184 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Feb 27 2021 - 11:17 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Feb 27 2021 - 06:49 PM, said:

Nothing worthwhile is easy.

None of these cars are easy to drive.  But my point is to not make the situation more difficult by selecting a car which does not fit your driving style.  The Lotus may fit your style very well, or you may be determined to master it, but it is a chore for me while the Ferrari isn't.  We, as sim racers, have a definite advantage over real world drivers - we can try every car in the field and drive the one we like best (I doubt any driver in '67 got seat time in every car).

In real life a main purpose of testing is not to see how well a driver performs (you already know that or you wouldn't be interested in him/her) but to see how well they perform in your car.

#84 snafu

snafu

John Hammonds

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:GPL. F2B (Toy planes)

Posted Feb 28 2021 - 04:00 AM

View PostJoseph P, on Feb 27 2021 - 10:19 PM, said:

Curious also about the clip fails to show the driver's arm shifting the shifter...so I guess that answers my earlier question.

Yes, GPL doesn't display the drivers arms animation for the gear changes in the replays. Where you see the driver visually change gear the chances are the clip was made via a screen recording program taken at the time the lap/race was actually run.

TTFN
John.

#85 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,925 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Feb 28 2021 - 08:02 AM

View PostArturo Pereira, on Feb 27 2021 - 06:56 PM, said:

After driving it for how many years? 15? 20? Come on, Colin :D

It was the first car I drove and drove nothing but it for 2 years. Went negative in a couple of months. I'm just an average driver. :)

It's not that hard to drive. He already did a 1.32 at Monza in the Lotus.

View Postjgf, on Feb 27 2021 - 11:17 PM, said:

None of these cars are easy to drive.  But my point is to not make the situation more difficult by selecting a car which does not fit your driving style.  The Lotus may fit your style very well, or you may be determined to master it, but it is a chore for me while the Ferrari isn't.  We, as sim racers, have a definite advantage over real world drivers - we can try every car in the field and drive the one we like best (I doubt any driver in '67 got seat time in every car).

In real life a main purpose of testing is not to see how well a driver performs (you already know that or you wouldn't be interested in him/her) but to see how well they perform in your car.

Yes, but he isn't talking about racing. He's just talking about lap times.

#86 Joseph P

Joseph P

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 88 posts

Posted Feb 28 2021 - 08:30 AM

GPL is a lot to take in and I am not in a rush to get into a league and start wrecking and, more importantly, ruining the race of others. Having raced online in other sims and admining a league, I dont want to be that guy who the rest of the field knows is dangerous and I dont want to put an admin in the position of having to explain why the back marker is allowed in the league and messing up some one else's possible run to a championship. Also, given the age of the sim, the people that run it have likely been at it for a long long time. Everyone has been welcoming and helpful but the GPL online racers are a pretty accomplished group. So my focus is on learning the sim and establishing a sound baseline of skill. Having babbled in this paragraph, I am enjoying the heck out of it.

Now about where I find the replay file and getting it onto here....

#87 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,925 posts

Posted Feb 28 2021 - 09:00 AM

That's why you should be concentrating on racing the AI instead of worrying about lap times. Nobody cares about your lap times in a league. They do care about how you race with others. All they want to know is if you're a safe driver. Pick a car you can keep on the track every lap and stay with it. Then see if you can do it in a race with the AI. If the AI are oo fast for you to stay with. Slow them down. Your lap times will get faster the more you race.

If your goal is doing fast lap times? Drive the Lotus. If your goal is to race. Pick the car you're most comfortable driving. Which means the one you can do lap after lap and not make mistakes. Then stay with that car and become a good racer.

#88 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 1,000 posts
  • Interests:GPL, motorsports

Posted Feb 28 2021 - 09:01 AM

View PostJoseph P, on Feb 28 2021 - 08:30 AM, said:

GPL is a lot to take in and I am not in a rush to get into a league and start wrecking and, more importantly, ruining the race of others. Having raced online in other sims and admining a league, I dont want to be that guy who the rest of the field knows is dangerous and I dont want to put an admin in the position of having to explain why the back marker is allowed in the league and messing up some one else's possible run to a championship. Also, given the age of the sim, the people that run it have likely been at it for a long long time. Everyone has been welcoming and helpful but the GPL online racers are a pretty accomplished group. So my focus is on learning the sim and establishing a sound baseline of skill. Having babbled in this paragraph, I am enjoying the heck out of it.

Now about where I find the replay file and getting it onto here....

You are doing well, Joseph. GPL is a tough nut and it may take months to master just one car at some tracks, and I mean to be competitive. Not a world record beater but a driver that can drive safely for 30, 40 or 50 laps. Well, not at the Nurburgring of course.

Be patient and you will be rewarded very well.

GPL saves the replays at \sierra\gpl\replay

#89 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,807 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Feb 28 2021 - 10:47 AM

Like Pete first time out picked the Lotus and stayed with it many years.
But the Lotus is not the best car for every track.

If you race on-line, you need to pick the car that offers the best advantage for the scheduled track.

Have been surprised recently to find the Brabham very capable of demonstrating driver intent, much more enjoyable, and forgiving to drive.

Probably, you could say that about any car except the Lotus, which is only enjoyable when you get it exactly right and never forgives you for messing up.

:)

Edited by John Woods, Feb 28 2021 - 11:25 AM.

#90 Joseph P

Joseph P

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 88 posts

Posted Feb 28 2021 - 06:06 PM

Attached File  silver1.rpy   3.26MB   4 downloads

Hopefully this works. The file shows two laps after the tires were warmed up. I am at wit's end. It is a window's media player file which is how it came out of the GPL replay folder.

#91 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,925 posts

Posted Feb 28 2021 - 07:58 PM

I watched your laps. You did good Joe. Nice smooth laps with just little mistakes and one slide that you caught easily. You'll get more aggressive as you drive more. You did a 1.33 in the BRM at Silverstone. That's good for how long you've driven GPL. I saw Jimmy was only doing 1.30 in the Lotus.

Now you know how to make a replay and post it. Show us some different cars at other tracks.

Good driving.

#92 Joseph P

Joseph P

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 88 posts

Posted Mar 01 2021 - 08:02 AM

Thanks for the input, Pete. I'm just glad it worked!

Edit: Pete, I drove the Cooper at Silver....I think. :)

Edited by Joseph P, Mar 01 2021 - 04:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links