sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dirt Rally, watching real races, modeling
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 16 2018 - 03:46 PM

View PostStefan Roess, on Oct 16 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

I am running Nvidia GeForce Game Ready Driver 416.34 (released 10/11/2018) on my system and I don`t have any problems with GPL.
FPS are perfect.

You are a lucky guy! I'm awared from the start I'm not...

I know about core limitation, since GPL is a very old program nowadays, so for sure more GHz you have, better you go. Not so sure about the fact it's installed or not: I've runned the sim in other 2 computers in the past, oldest was a PIII 800MHz (2001->2006), then PIV 3,4GHz (2006->2013), both times GPL was installed from original CD, then patched, added tracks, cars, mods, graphic updates, utilities, etc., each time a gfx update for tracks and or cars added, each time less fps I had. On my actual pc was not installed, but worked quite well till last week. A couple of times I've also ported games from my older to newest computer without proper installation and worked as normal.
Just to say, if I remember correctly, when in 2008 Nigel released the rasterizers wrote that in any case GPL use very few processes and resourses from the GPU, due to the primitive graphic engine, so most of the graphics go to the CPU along with physics etc. So I wonder if, at least in my case, AA go to load and slow down the CPU, instead the GPU as normally should be.

#32 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted Oct 16 2018 - 04:59 PM

My experience is the same as Tato.  I just copied a GPL installation directory from my old XP machine to my new Windows 10 laptop (no installation disk used) and GPL runs fine.

As far as antialiasing goes, my Nvidia card settings (which only apply to the gpu AFAIK) definitely affect the display quality so I doubt the cpu handles AA at all.

Just a guess, but I suspect things like 3D distances and rotations which should be handled by the gpu are really handled by the cpu instead.

#33 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Oct 17 2018 - 03:54 PM

View PostLee200, on Oct 16 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

I think Warren is right.  GPL only uses one or two cores regardless of the cpu size.

I've see 3 cores being used with an AMD FX-6300, Ryzen 3 1200, and Ryzen 5 2400G. Here's a picture of the R3 1200 performance during a lap at Targa Florio 60 fps while driving the 712. Notice the core usage averages and graphs versus the current state after exiting GPL. I should have displayed the graphs of the cpu % while idle on the desktop. They're almost flat. I didn't notice it before but GPL might be using 4 cores on this new cpu.

One of my biggest problems lately with GPL's performance and stability is when the cpu or gpu changes power states. With Ryzen I had to turn off Cool and Quiet in the BIOS so the cpu wouldn't downclock. C&Q doesn't appear to save any power with Ryzen. I have to use a program called ClockBlocker to keep my Radeon gpu in it's 3D power state. A GTX1050ti would boost above it's base 3D clock while navigating menus or exiting/entering the car. All these different gpu or cpu power state changes have caused GPL or the computer to crash.

If you're interested, targatest3.jpg is the 1050ti gpu's performance during the same test. Apply a maximum load and it maintains a boost of 1797 mhz at 1.0 volts. It runs GPL most of the time at it's displayed base 3D clock of 1303 mhz. Any time it would boost above that GPL crashed every time.

Attached Files

Edited by JMF, Oct 17 2018 - 03:55 PM.

#34 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted Oct 18 2018 - 03:46 AM

That's interesting info and it appears that GPL may indeed use more than two virtual processors.  In my tests, I'm only seeing two virtual processors ramp up to 50% or more usage while the others stay at 10% or less.  But they all are almost 0% when GPL isn't running.  Of course, fps monitors such as FRAPS and Task Manager have to run somewhere, but I don't how to determine which specific virtual processors GPL is using without forcing them via Windows 10's Task Manager.

Your comments about cpu and gpu boost frequencies are also interesting and applies even more to a laptop where battery conservation is important.  It took me several hours of testing before I discovered that my laptop will never use the cpu's boost frequency unless it's using AC power...duh!  You'd think this info would be specified somewhere in the user manual, but no.

Also, the higher performance external graphics card isn't used unless certain Windows 10 or Nvidia settings are applied...again not specified in the users manual.

It's really a shame that GPL can't make better use of modern graphics cards.  I'm seeing less than 40% load, often no more than 20% when running GPL.  That's a lot of wasted capacity.

Edited by Lee200, Oct 18 2018 - 03:58 AM.

#35 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:AssettoCorsa,rFactor2,LiveForSpeed,Race07

Posted Oct 18 2018 - 03:47 AM

Regarding AA problem, I wonder if anyone has tried forcing Supersampling AA method? It uses a very different method (compare to multisampling) to achieve AA, and usually considered to have maximum compatibility with some performance loss (but since GPL is a very old game, the performance loss on high-end machine is unnoticeable). I've just tested 4X Supersampling AA setting on Targa Florio with 19 AI, FPS stabilized at 36.

#36 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted Oct 18 2018 - 03:56 AM

Yes, I've been testing with 8X Superampling just to stress the gpu as much as possible.  With all the Nvidia settings maxed out, I'm seeing 24 fps or so at BOG at Reims with the Sports Car mod which goes to a solid 36 fps after start...not bad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links