• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Just a fan of Gpl since 2008, fan of plane sim too (Il2-Cliffs of dover, Rise of flight) and in love with music
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 30 2016 - 01:46 PM

Hello everybody !!! :)

Another "montage" for a famous historical circuit at least so known as Spa !!! ... :mellow:... Ok... perhaps not known so well, but it's never too late... :yeah:

I hope some of you will discover (or rediscover...) this challenging funny track around your garden... :D :D :D

Generally I try to do moderate stuff but this time it's a little bit HEAVIER... (after installation the Crystal's folder is about 70mo...) :sleepy: ...

But normally, nobody would have bad surprise because with my old computer I have absolutely no problem !
(Dell - Intel 1.86GHz - 1giga - 256MB ATI Radeon X1300Pro... and it works...)

Just tell me if you encounter some disagreements and I will reduce the file's size  :)

I need to add that the team which created this track in 2000 has done an incredible job !!!
The original Dat is about 9Mo... And in spite of the size of the update, it works perfectly !!! Just amazing...
A great thank to them, and to JackSeller and Thomas Laechele for quite everything else ! :shrug:...

To get an idea...
Attached File  crystal_palace.jpg   152.71K   238 downloads

And the update...
Attached File  crystal_Dbupdt.zip   20.31MB   182 downloads

In addition, Gliebzeit has made right after some wonderful adjustments ! It's a must have !
Thank you so much to you Gliebzeit !!! :smug2: :smug2: :smug2: :smug2:
Attached File  Crystal_Palace_lower_horiz.rar   955.95K   45 downloads
Attached File  Crystal_Palace_slight_horizon_tweaks.rar   1.09MB   42 downloads
(It's the same files than in post#5 and #11)
In case or some of you find it to low, try with this 3do...Attached File  Crystal_medium_horiz.zip   1.39K   53 downloads

Take care all of you and have fun :bye:

Edited by db312, Sep 04 2016 - 07:04 AM.

#2 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,724 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Aug 31 2016 - 05:08 AM

Nice one Denis, bravo! :)

I've worked a little on the FB values to have a little less popups; see if you like it better. :wave:

Attached Files

#3 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Just a fan of Gpl since 2008, fan of plane sim too (Il2-Cliffs of dover, Rise of flight) and in love with music

Posted Aug 31 2016 - 08:22 AM

View Postginetto, on Aug 31 2016 - 05:08 AM, said:

Nice one Denis, bravo! :)

I've worked a little on the FB values to have a little less popups; see if you like it better. :wave:

It's just great Ginetto !!! :blush:
Thank you so much, it's really really SOOOOO :cool4:  !!!!!! :yahoo:
It seems to me that Crystal is one of the best smallest track, and I hope sincerely it will be a little bit more appreciated :shrug:

Thank you again for all !!! :cheers:

#4 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 801 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Aug 31 2016 - 09:54 AM

Thank you Denis! And ginetto too! One of my favorite tracks.

#5 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,890 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Aug 31 2016 - 02:52 PM

Denis, this is an absolute beauty!!  Thank you very much for your efforts.  :)

The only very small change that I think helps is to 'lower' the horizon.  This horiz.3do file will do that.  See what you think.

I've also adjusted the forward view distance in the crystal.3do file to eliminate the last few pop-ups.  Plus, rear view distance increases will eliminate all pop-downs in your mirrors.  Again, please test this to see what you think as to improvements /vs FPS.

Attached Files

#6 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted Aug 31 2016 - 03:43 PM

View Postgliebzeit, on Aug 31 2016 - 02:52 PM, said:

Denis, this is an absolute beauty!!  Thank you very much for your efforts.  :)

The only very small change that I think helps is to 'lower' the horizon.  This horiz.3do file will do that.  See what you think.

I've also adjusted the forward view distance in the crystal.3do file to eliminate the last few pop-ups.  Plus, rear view distance increases will eliminate all pop-downs in your mirrors.  Again, please test this to see what you think as to improvements /vs FPS.

Dear Greg,

What can I say except :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: ... I'm really touched by your kindness !!!

I'm also perfectly right with you about the horizon, I leave it like that because I'm trying to learn the creation of skies and built a realistic one for this track, which is... IN the town of London... And not in a country like it is actually...

In the meantime, I will :drive1:  right now to try your gift...   And give you some feedbacks... :stretcher: ......... :hysterical:

Once again, thank you SO MUCH to take time and improve what I've done... :)

Like I said to Ginetto, It's SOOOOO   :cool4:  !!!!! :friends:

Denis

#7 maddog

maddog

Graham Hill

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted Aug 31 2016 - 04:22 PM

Very nice update, and no problem running it on my old computer. :smug2:  Every Easter Monday when young, I would look forward to the big F2 meeting at the Palace.  It almost seemed you could touch the cars as they passed, at this small track, and they made wonderful loud noises.  These features brought racing to an end in 1971.  It was great while it lasted!

A huge Crystal Palace was built of glass on a hill in the 1850's, for a grand London exhibition..  There was a huge fire which destroyed it all in the 1930's.  The race track was built in the park, next the the burnt out site.  This part of London is called Crystal Palace, and the beautiful horizon showing the English countryside, had become part of the city in the 1960's.  Every other thing is very good.  Thank you for bringing back some happy memories.

#8 Marx

Marx

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Aug 31 2016 - 11:20 PM

Great stuff. It's a long time ago I tried my luck at Crystal Palace. I'll drive a few laps with this update for sure. Excellent add-on. Chapeau. :hat-tip:

#9 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Sep 01 2016 - 01:10 AM

Thanks guys, recently drove this track with a couple of mods, but I guess I need to give it another visit! :)

#10 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Sep 01 2016 - 01:39 AM

Many thanks for the updates Denis, Gin and Greg :up:

I keep meaning to go and have a look at the place but never seem to get round to it. I'll take some pictures of the horizons if I do.

Meanwhile:

http://www.speedhunt...crystal-palace/

#11 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,890 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Sep 01 2016 - 07:22 AM

Here are some slightly altered horizon files for Crystal Palace.  This makes the only spot on the circuit (the dip coming out of Park Curve) where you see the external horizon more park-like.

To be used with the 'lowered' horiz.3do file posted above.  I've not tested these with the original horiz.3do file.

- Greg

Attached Files

Edited by gliebzeit, Sep 01 2016 - 07:22 AM.

#12 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted Sep 01 2016 - 08:39 AM

View Postgliebzeit, on Sep 01 2016 - 07:22 AM, said:

Here are some slightly altered horizon files for Crystal Palace.  This makes the only spot on the circuit (the dip coming out of Park Curve) where you see the external horizon more park-like.

To be used with the 'lowered' horiz.3do file posted above.  I've not tested these with the original horiz.3do file.

- Greg

It's just great Gliebzeit !!! Many many thanks !!! :cheers:

#13 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Sep 01 2016 - 09:04 AM

View Postmaddog, on Aug 31 2016 - 04:22 PM, said:

Very nice update, and no problem running it on my old computer. :smug2:  Every Easter Monday when young, I would look forward to the big F2 meeting at the Palace.  It almost seemed you could touch the cars as they passed, at this small track, and they made wonderful loud noises.  These features brought racing to an end in 1971.  It was great while it lasted!

A huge Crystal Palace was built of glass on a hill in the 1850's, for a grand London exhibition..  There was a huge fire which destroyed it all in the 1930's.  The race track was built in the park, next the the burnt out site.  This part of London is called Crystal Palace, and the beautiful horizon showing the English countryside, had become part of the city in the 1960's.  Every other thing is very good.  Thank you for bringing back some happy memories.

I never went to Crystal Palace, I think they still have Sprints there now. Nice track.

#14 maddog

maddog

Graham Hill

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted Sep 01 2016 - 10:53 AM

I visited the track 5 years ago.  My first time since 1972!  It's been blended into the park, with much of the front straight under several feet, and a metre or 3 of soil.  Sadly, sprint racing has become possible only on foot.  It's well documented in the good article sprouting from post #10. :thumbup:

Attached File  CP 05.jpg   101.56K   59 downloadsAttached File  CP 07.jpg   154.48K   75 downloadsAttached File  CP 12.jpg   102.88K   75 downloadsAttached File  CP 13.jpg   97.06K   62 downloads

Edited by maddog, Sep 01 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#15 sergioloro

sergioloro

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 290 posts

Posted Sep 01 2016 - 04:44 PM

very nice add-on, i like it a lot :) thanks :up: :woohoo2: :partytime:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links