Dronzo

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 31 2020 - 07:18 AM

I have a Fanatec Clubsport V1 pedal set. The throttle is now malfunctioning: in USB Game Controllers, it flickers erratically from left to right along the scale with the pedal fully depressed.

I have checked that the grub screw under the pedal is sufficiently tight, so that is ruled out. Therefore it seems to be the Hall Effect sensor that has failed – again (I replaced the original a few years ago). Assuming my analysis is correct, where can I obtain a replacement? Fanatec seems to have erased the V1 set from its website.

There is one thing, though, that suggests that the problem may be elsewhere: in Fanatec's site, there is a Q&A on throttle problems, with this:  

If the problem was not solved please take off the main PCBA of your CSP (V2) which is located on the bottom of the pedals. Now switch the sensor cable from the accelerator to the clutch and check again.

I tried that and the throttle worked properly in Game Controllers.

What should I do next?

Edited by Dronzo, Aug 31 2020 - 07:22 AM.

#2 Dronzo

Dronzo

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted Aug 31 2020 - 08:16 AM

What I did next was to reconnect the clutch and now that does not work at all! I am inclined to bin this pedal set though it was good when it worked. It has lasted 10 years. Is the Fanatec V3 pedal set as good/better/more reliable? Or is there a better option at about the same price?

#3 Dronzo

Dronzo

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 07:00 AM

Having taken the thing apart and replugged the fiddly bits here and there about 10 times and put it all back together as it was, I have got back to where I was at the beginning: it works, but erratically. I cannot find Hall Effect sensors for the V1 pedals anywhere on the web. Are they still available?

#4 Dronzo

Dronzo

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 07:20 AM

I have managed to contact Fanatec's tech support and received a prompt reply. Hall sensors for the V1 are no longer available, so my pedal set is heading for the bin, alas.

Now, moving on, does anyone have a view on this: what makes the Clubsport V3 pedal set technically (rather than visually) superior to the less expensive CSL Elite pedals LC?

#5 Lalethor

Lalethor

Alessandro Isacchini

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:Racing & Gnagna
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 08:09 AM

Hi Dronzo, where do you live?
here in Italy there is a guy that adjust and modifies pedals and other, recently he has adjusted a Fanatec v1 for my friends where the load cell was broked (maybe your same problem), maybe he use not original one of fanatec but a equal one
I post a video of it here, it's in italian but he speaks english also, his mail is in description

https://youtu.be/e9qF5T1dH14

#6 Dronzo

Dronzo

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 08:18 AM

View PostLalethor, on Sep 01 2020 - 08:09 AM, said:

Hi Dronzo, where do you live?
here in Italy there is a guy that adjust and modifies pedals and other, recently he has adjusted a Fanatec v1 for my friends where the load cell was broked (maybe your same problem), maybe he use not original one of fanatec but a equal one
I post a video of it here, it's in italian but he speaks english also, his mail is in description

https://youtu.be/e9qF5T1dH14

I live in the south of France. Thanks, that's interesting, but a bit difficult for me to tollow: my Italian was once very poor and now it is pretty much non-existent! But that could be useful.

#7 Lalethor

Lalethor

Alessandro Isacchini

• Supporter
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:Racing & Gnagna
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 09:42 AM

View PostDronzo, on Sep 01 2020 - 08:18 AM, said:

I live in the south of France. Thanks, that's interesting, but a bit difficult for me to tollow: my Italian was once very poor and now it is pretty much non-existent! But that could be useful.

View PostLalethor, on Sep 01 2020 - 08:09 AM, said:

it's in italian but he speaks english also, his mail is in description

:hat-tip:

Try to contact him, maybe he can solved by mail, or shipping to you a new load cell if necessary, sure has worked with many pedals, fanatec and others. Clubport is a good pedals and it needs to be fixed :D

#8 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, MotoGP

60fps GPL

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 10:51 AM

As Alessandro says: fix it, the difference is not so big to pay so much money,
imo this is the hall sensors of the throttle, but maybe you can switch it with the clutch sensor. ;)
I replaced the load cell of mine once and it cost 14€...

#9 Dronzo

Dronzo

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 12:38 PM

View PostCookie, on Sep 01 2020 - 10:51 AM, said:

As Alessandro says: fix it, the difference is not so big to pay so much money,
imo this is the hall sensors of the throttle, but maybe you can switch it with the clutch sensor. ;)
I replaced the load cell of mine once and it cost 14€...

The Hall sensors on the throttle and clutch are identical but the cable from the clutch sensor is too short for the throttle connection. I have sent a message to Mirko but have not yet received a reply.

#10 Dronzo

Dronzo

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 12:53 PM

Re the comparison of the Clubsport V3 pedal versus CSL Elite pedal sets, my conclusion after checking some reviews is that the former (while aesthetically superior) does not justify its higher price technically. And I do not look at my pedals while attempting to complete a lap without crashing.

#11 Dronzo

Dronzo

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted Sep 01 2020 - 01:26 PM

I am now in touch with Mirko but I am doubtful that there is a solution to the problem with the Hall Effect sensor problem. This is not his fault of course!

#12 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, MotoGP

60fps GPL

Posted Sep 02 2020 - 02:27 AM

I read here a solution to fix: https://apexonlinera...45/#post-869693

#13 Dronzo

Dronzo

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted Sep 02 2020 - 04:28 AM

View PostCookie, on Sep 02 2020 - 02:27 AM, said:

I read here a solution to fix: https://apexonlinera...45/#post-869693

The first thing I did was to clean it thoroughly. This gave a small improvement but did not solve the problem.

#14 Dronzo

Dronzo

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted Sep 02 2020 - 08:38 AM

Today, my Fanatec pedals are functioning perfectly in USB Controllers and in GPL. Electronics are like life: weird and incomprehensible and unpredictable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links