sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 08 2012 - 11:47 AM

as a further reply to your kemp skin. i believe kemp was driving an M8B without the wing. i'm not 100% as i'm writing from memory here.
in any case you can remove the rear wing by adding an alpha channel to the wing texture. you can also remove part of the uprights holding the wing - not a perfect solution as you will see some part missing, but that's as good as you can do without editing a .3do.

#243 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,068 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Oct 08 2012 - 11:51 PM

Kemp drove an M8C in 1971, though you are correct in that he did not use a rear wing.  He had only a spoiler lip attached to the rear bodywork.  The same is true of William Wonder and George Drolsom's M8Cs.

I will give your 'alpha channel' method a go...  see if I can make it work.

Edited by gliebzeit, Oct 08 2012 - 11:52 PM.

#244 Phil

Phil

Tazio Nuvolari

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:I have no preference
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Oct 09 2012 - 06:27 AM

Late to the party but wow! Incredible job guys, I'll be enjoying these for years :hat-tip: :artist:

May I ask, what problems do the v1 rasterisers cause? They seem to work in training mode.

#245 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Oct 09 2012 - 04:05 PM

Wow!!! You guys did an excellent job on this mod. I've totally neglected the 67 F1 cars for the meantime. This is the first mod to make me do that.

I've been driving the US and Canadian tracks that I've not used much in the past. Most of the time I tend to use tracks and cars that actually occurred, so I rarely drove the US tracks.

I was also pleased that my first lap in a 917 at the Nurburgring was under 8 minutes, 7:59.6 to be exact. I'm close in the 67 F1 cars but I just can't seem to break 8:05 no matter how many times or how hard I try. I'm down to 7:42 now in the Ferrari 712 and I think I can take another ten seconds off that time with a few dozen more laps of practice.

I also like the differences in the cars. I'm consistent in the 917 and it's fairly easy to drive. I'm a Ferrari fan so the 712 is very cool to me. It's a little harder to drive than the Porsche but faster. And the M8F is a real beast that is very very fast if you can keep it under control. So I learn the tracks with the Porsche, do most of my driving with the Ferrari and when I want to see how fast I can really go I drive the M8F. Great!!!!

I appreciate this mod also because it has taught me more racing history. I had never even heard of the Ferrari 712. It's an interesting car that would have been nice to see Ferrari give more support.

I've found one bad thing about this mod. It makes me wish we even more that we had the 917K's, Ferrari 512's and Alfa Romeo Tipo 33's to drive. Isn't that cool?

Thanks for the Can Am cars. I appreciate the good work and nice products you guys produce.

#246 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Oct 09 2012 - 04:09 PM

might want to take the bathtub for a spin, too. very fast as well. sometimes even faster than the big mac. well for me anyway (which doesn't mean much to begin with :D)

#247 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Oct 10 2012 - 05:25 AM

View PostPhil, on Oct 09 2012 - 06:27 AM, said:

Late to the party but wow! Incredible job guys, I'll be enjoying these for years :hat-tip: :artist:

May I ask, what problems do the v1 rasterisers cause? They seem to work in training mode.

Hi Phil,

That gives me some hope then. :) I was away from my PC during the late stages of testing and the preparation of the release files and so I asked that someone would check that the release would work with v1 rasterisers, that I had been using during testing. When other team members tried the release version they reported that it would not work on v1 rasterisers for some reason, but no one had the time to figure out why and so it was agreed to release as v2 only and fix the problem later. I have yet to install the release version so have not looked at what is causing the problem. If it works in training, that is useful to know, as it implies that any fault might be with the AI skins which means it is easier to look for where any problems are.

Once I get some time, I am intending to make various tests between my last known v1 working beta version of the carset and the release version to find which slots make stuff stop working, and under what circumstances. At present it just comes down to needing to find some time to sit down and methodically make those tests and find where any problems happen.

Rob

#248 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,068 posts

Posted Oct 10 2012 - 11:20 AM

*** See below ***

Edited by gliebzeit, Oct 25 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#249 JacnGille

JacnGille

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted Oct 10 2012 - 06:36 PM

View Postgliebzeit, on Oct 10 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

Here are a few more of the drivers and cars from the '71 season.  Maybe I'll keep lookin' into the details and post them after the time restriction expires....
Hope so!

#250 Nunya88

Nunya88

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted Oct 18 2012 - 08:46 PM

Thanks to all once again for another great mod and marking another thing off my bucket list,I now have "driven" a McLaren M8F and what a rush! I had a few self inflicted problems after I installed the mod like forgetting to turn off the driving aids,increasing the detail bias and for some reason getting my G25 set up? but after that I was gone-Thanks again for all the work. I thought being able to drive a Chaparral 2F around Sebring was as good as it gets-Now I am not so sure. :fireworks1:

Craig

#251 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Oct 19 2012 - 03:20 AM

View PostPhil, on Oct 09 2012 - 06:27 AM, said:

Further to my previous note. I have had time myself now and have tested all cars in training mode, plus I have run a race with the AI using the release installer version of the mod running D3D v1 rasteriser and have had no problems at all. I have yet to try in an online race with the mod, but so far, so good.

As I said above, I wasn't around when the release installer was getting tested, but asked that someone would test it with version 1 rasterisers on my behalf. The report then was that it would not work, but since no one wanted a delay it was agreed to leave it until after release to worry about this. It seems to me that there is not a problem, at least, there is no problem with D3D v1, (and I would guess, although I am not certain that OGL v1 should be fine too). Both v1 rasterisers are equally picky about not liking various problems that the v2 rasterisers either ignore or deal with themselves.

Seems like the mod will probably work fine with v1 rasterisers after all then.

Rob

#252 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,325 posts

Posted Oct 19 2012 - 01:20 PM

I also have heard from a fellow league member that he's running the CanAm mod with the D3D v.1 rasterizers with no problems.

#253 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Oct 20 2012 - 08:56 PM

I tried to find the real life tank sizes for these cars, but only came up with a incomplete list. So maybe you guys can help me fill in the gaps. Here is what I have so far:
T260 60gal
M8F         72gal
917/10 80gal us
T222
M8BCE
M8D
Shadow mk2

I'm assuming the M8N all have the same size but the 72gal value is from some random site on the net. The T260 and Porsche numbers are from the Lola heritage site and a Porsche add for the 917/10 so I consider them accurate enough.

Edited by Michkov, Oct 20 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#254 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,068 posts

Posted Oct 25 2012 - 02:44 PM

Here are a few more of the drivers and cars from the '71 season.  Maybe I'll keep lookin' into the details and post them after the time restriction expires....
Many thanks to sky and ALL the other modders in the Can-Am Mod Team!!!  :cheers:

All credit to the painters in the Can-Am Team
- specially for the 1971 Shadows !

Attached Files

Edited by gliebzeit, Nov 12 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#255 JacnGille

JacnGille

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted Oct 25 2012 - 05:20 PM

:clap:

#256 Larko29

Larko29

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted Oct 25 2012 - 09:16 PM

Mod Team many thanks for these CANAM beasts.

I haven't had alot of time to drive of late, but was wondering just out of interest why the 1971 season was the one that was decided to be modelled?

Thanks Craig

#257 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,068 posts

Posted Oct 31 2012 - 02:34 PM

... and a few variations of Siffert's "Pooch".

:whistling:  'here boy'

Attached Files

Edited by gliebzeit, Nov 19 2012 - 11:05 AM.

#258 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,068 posts

Posted Nov 28 2012 - 08:45 AM

Found a good source for the "RC Cola" advert on the nose of Kemp's M8C.

Attached Files

#259 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,068 posts

Posted Dec 04 2012 - 07:38 PM

How about Jerry Hansen in a Lola T220 at the 1971 Donnybrooke Can-Am event.

Attached Files

Edited by gliebzeit, Dec 23 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#260 davef

davef

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Auto Racing

Posted Dec 04 2012 - 10:43 PM

Nice work Greg ! Thanks for the Screenies the past few months. Any plans for the Ferrari entries of
Mueller & Adams ? Were they privateers ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links