tjc

Jim Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Interests:Various
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 29 2018 - 04:30 AM

This is just like the "Visor Mod" for rF and rF2 is`nt it? "Helmet Cam" suggests something different to me, like a view from a camera attached to the outside of the helmet rather than what the eyes would see from inside it. Not really my cup of tea but each to their own.

#17 snafu

snafu

John Hammonds

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:GPL. F2B

Posted Aug 29 2018 - 05:32 AM

I think it's a solution to a none existent problem. Seems like a reverse "No letterbox patch" with rounded edges

Perhaps car helmets are more restrictive than motorcycle helmets, but I've been riding motorcycles for 45 years and can't remember consciously ever noticing the helmet restricting my view.

TTFN
John.

#18 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).

Posted Aug 29 2018 - 09:16 AM

As a motorcycle rider of nearly 50 years (started riding in 1969), I agree with John.

It's been my experience that GOGGLES seem to be the factor that limits the vision, and mainly interferes with the peripheral vision. For that reason, years ago I have switched to wearing "wrap around type" safety glasses (either shaded or clear, depending on the weather). Those have no impediment of the peripheral vision and are as shock resistant (or more so in some cases) as goggles and/or a windscreen (as on a full face helmet). I even wore such safety glasses in competition and it was so much easier to get a visual on where a competitor on your right/left was actually located. Note that I'm talking dirt bike style helmets that require additional eye protection, NOT street/touring-type full face helmets that have a wind screen. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had a street/touring type full face helmet on my head! Anyway, my comments are certainly from the "FWIW Dept".

Old Simmer aka Andre

#19 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:AssettoCorsa,rFactor2,LiveForSpeed,Race07

Posted Aug 29 2018 - 12:07 PM

I agree with others, the helmet visor is good for watching, which adds a lot immersion, but for playing its an unnecessary handicap (race07 is one of the worst example). But it could be a good thing for watching in replay and maybe movie making.

#20 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Aug 29 2018 - 01:44 PM

View PostOld Simmer, on Aug 29 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

As a motorcycle rider of nearly 50 years (started riding in 1969), I agree with John.

It's been my experience that GOGGLES seem to be the factor that limits the vision, and mainly interferes with the peripheral vision. For that reason, years ago I have switched to wearing "wrap around type" safety glasses (either shaded or clear, depending on the weather). Those have no impediment of the peripheral vision and are as shock resistant (or more so in some cases) as goggles and/or a windscreen (as on a full face helmet). I even wore such safety glasses in competition and it was so much easier to get a visual on where a competitor on your right/left was actually located. Note that I'm talking dirt bike style helmets that require additional eye protection, NOT street/touring-type full face helmets that have a wind screen. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had a street/touring type full face helmet on my head! Anyway, my comments are certainly from the "FWIW Dept".

Old Simmer aka Andre

You want your peripheral vision impaired? Try losing the sight in one eye like me. After much thought and endless experimenting, I found a way to beat it. It also works 100% of the time and it's free. I turn my head. :)

#21 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

Le Mans Addict and GPL Returnee!

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Le Mans, Le Mans and more Le Mans.

Oh, and GPL as well.

Posted Sep 12 2018 - 02:32 PM

Does nothing for me, I confess.  Nor frankly does watching a car completely glued to the road like that...... ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links