- - - - -

Why Do You Still Keep Coming Back To A 20 Year Old Sim?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 ljmagyar

ljmagyar

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 22 2018 - 04:41 PM

For me, its the fun.  I've been in several competitive leagues in GPL, rFactor, and even iRacing.  GPL is simply the best with all things considered.

Things like track selection, challenge levels, driveability, resources, rules, variety, etc...all these make GPL a cut above the rest.  There's also the development of GPL in mods, new tracks, and physics to name a few.  The all-in-one installer makes it so easy to get a new (or returning) racer up to speed that GPL might as well be a new sim.

The group of guys with which I race - the core of them - are all good friends.  We've been drinking, erm - racing with each other for years!  Its a great group who loves the FUN of racing GPL.  We're a drinking club with a racing problem - its been said that LoPeN is the best bar I've been to!

I don't always sim race, but when I do, I do it with GPL!

#22 Warren Hall Jr.

Warren Hall Jr.

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff

Posted Dec 22 2018 - 06:37 PM

Hey Lou "LoPeN is the best bar I've ever been to" is my line. But it's OK you can use it too.
MERRY CHRISTMAS.
Warren.

#23 MLGathome

MLGathome

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:simracing

Posted Dec 23 2018 - 07:07 AM

I have been a fan from F1 and playing computergames as long as I can remember. In the early days “”Pitstop” and “Poleposition” on a C64.
In 2000 bought a Playstation with Thrustmaster wheel for Formula One 99 and Gran Turismo 2 but had more fun with CTR Crash Team Racing.
On the PC played some CMR2 and Cars with a joystick. Late 2007 bought a new computer and a Logitech controller and played a bunch of other computergames,
mostly western or Tombraider related.

In 2009 was looking for some demo’s to find a racing game that suited me and stumbled into GTR and Grand Prix Legends.
The later was so interesting that I searched the internet for more info and at the end found SRMZ. It was the time the Targa Florio and  GTmod was released.
I purchased a PS-USB converter for my wheel and did the first laps.

Early 2010 got involved with GPLRACER for online racing. In the beginning mostly chatting with Achim but finally running my first race on Willow Springs with 65mod.
Since then raced 165 races online with them and became an admin after a few years, organising the GPLRACER65 season.

Every second Tuesday a race with a short summer and winter break in between. Finding and trying new tracks for these races and make sure on race evening everything is running smoothly is a challenge but I still enjoy it.
That is why I keep going back.

Greetings, Marcel

Edited by MLGathome, Dec 23 2018 - 07:16 AM.

#24 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,557 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Dec 23 2018 - 12:14 PM

Why abandon a dear friend? :think: GPL always stayed home, and I didn't have to ask myself when I wld come back!

#25 isamu

isamu

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted Dec 25 2018 - 01:58 AM

Because it's the game that has Dundrod and Machwerks

#26 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Trackmaking, Bike Road Racing, Links Golf, Long Distance Walking.

Posted Dec 28 2018 - 02:23 AM

All of the above I suppose, but fundamentally, because of the satisfaction of driving overpowered open wheelers on mechanical grip alone; i.e. without aerodynamic effects "clamping " cars to the ground..

For me, these cars feel more alive and responsive in three dimensions. You see the suspensions working, you feel the springs compressing, you feel the diff setting working differently as you change it's settings and you feel the oversteer / understeer acutely as the cars respond to throttle and brake and pitch and yaw.

No other sim I have driven provides that sort of responsiveness. Sure there are some with cars that provide some of these effects, like say the rotation you can get out of a Formula Ford, or the squat you get out of a corner in a Lotus Cortina..............But you don't get all these effects, or not to the same extent, in my view.

In short, Papy just happened to do a proper job with THE most interesting cars to drive.....in history.

Lucky them!..........................Lucky us!   :soapbox:

#27 garethhall

garethhall

Bob Anderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted Dec 29 2018 - 07:39 AM

127 chassis with 514 rank tracks is 65,278 permutations. Not to mention all the beta/weird tracks.
We can do a new chassis/track combo every day for 178 years.
why would I need anything else, and its really hard!

#28 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,557 posts

Posted Dec 29 2018 - 08:01 AM

View Postgarethhall, on Dec 29 2018 - 07:39 AM, said:

127 chassis with 514 rank tracks is 65,278 permutations. Not to mention all the beta/weird tracks.
We can do a new chassis/track combo every day for 178 years.
why would I need anything else, and its really hard!

:einstein: :thumbup:
as simple as maths !

#29 garethhall

garethhall

Bob Anderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted Dec 29 2018 - 10:22 AM

it started as 7 cars and 11 tracks, now,  all because we have the best mod team. All in their spare time, legends! :bowdown2:
Happy new year to all :partytime:

Edited by garethhall, Dec 29 2018 - 10:23 AM.

#30 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,557 posts

Posted Dec 29 2018 - 12:36 PM

View PostJim Pearson, on Dec 28 2018 - 02:23 AM, said:

All of the above I suppose, but fundamentally, because of the satisfaction of driving overpowered open wheelers on mechanical grip alone; i.e. without aerodynamic effects "clamping " cars to the ground..

For me, these cars feel more alive and responsive in three dimensions. You see the suspensions working, you feel the springs compressing, you feel the diff setting working differently as you change it's settings and you feel the oversteer / understeer acutely as the cars respond to throttle and brake and pitch and yaw.

No other sim I have driven provides that sort of responsiveness. Sure there are some with cars that provide some of these effects, like say the rotation you can get out of a Formula Ford, or the squat you get out of a corner in a Lotus Cortina..............But you don't get all these effects, or not to the same extent, in my view.

In short, Papy just happened to do a proper job with THE most interesting cars to drive.....in history.

Lucky them!..........................Lucky us!
:soapbox:

Jim,  

I am feeling yours is a serious candidate to be the SRMZ POST OF THE YEAR 2018 :partytime:

Edited by M Needforspeed, Dec 29 2018 - 12:38 PM.

#31 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Dec 29 2018 - 12:37 PM

It's entertaining! :) It has most of the tracks and many cars that fascinated me as a little boy. It's the only sim I've kept driving more than 3 years. I bought it when it was new but it got lost in the shuffle of life. I was recycling software in 2011 and rediscovered it. This time I stuck with it long enough to enjoy it. The only other thing I've driven since 2011 is some GTR2 mods because I wanted to drive some cars GPL doesn't have, such as IMSA GTP, 1970 WSC, and an Alfa Romeo Guilia. I didn't drive GTR2 much. I hope some day we see 1970 or 1971 prototypes.

Take care guys.

#32 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,654 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Dec 30 2018 - 11:37 AM

I have a better question

Why would anybody leave GPL?

#33 db312

db312

Always in the lead

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Leaving GPL better than I found it

Posted Dec 30 2018 - 02:21 PM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Dec 30 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

I have a better question

Why would anybody leave GPL?

Ask to JackSeller...

I forgot to add that I'm perfectly agree with everybody here... :smug2:

Edited by db312, Dec 30 2018 - 02:26 PM.

#34 jxeboy

jxeboy

GPLaps

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Dec 30 2018 - 10:26 PM

Because GPL doesn't just simulate a car or a track, it simulates Auto Racing as it was in 1967!

#35 Pawgy

Pawgy

Pawgy

• Supporter
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Sim racing, WW2 flying and real Golf

Posted Dec 31 2018 - 01:40 PM

I started GPL when i was 63 and now am 83.  Old ,like Simmer. Just can't seem to get away form it although i have all the new sims and am on my 4th computer. This one with 1 terybyte drive ,almost full. Still go back to GPL and try to keep it updated to the latest.It will be their forever. Hope this website lasts as long. Happy 2019 to everyone.

Regards
Pawgy

#36 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 665 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Dec 31 2018 - 02:36 PM

View PostPawgy, on Dec 31 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

I started GPL when i was 63 and now am 83.  

:bowdown2:

#37 Treetop64

Treetop64

Jochen Rindt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Motor racing, biking, historical aircraft
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Dec 31 2018 - 07:31 PM

Started GPL in 1999, when I had a Rent-A-Center Packard-Bell PC that could barely run it.  Graphics fully minimised, minimum number of cars on the circuit, barely made 10fps.  Load times took several minutes.  Initial loading was even longer, had time to make a sandwich after booting up the game for first time in the day.  The first hardware upgrade finally enabled me to run some detail in the rearview mirrors - I was amazed.

Now run everything fully maxed and highest GPU settings with tons of room to spare, lol.  Load times are almost nonexistent, except for the Spa67 high res textures that I use - that makes me wait an unbearable 10 seconds or so, if it hasn't already been previously loaded into memory.

Thing is, the game holds up well for a 20 year-old product.

#38 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted Dec 31 2018 - 09:53 PM

All these posts are really emotive. I agree with all of them.

Many times I thought what would I race when Mybroga reach to the end and when all online GPL finish.
My plans were to race in F1Legends after Mybroga and after that going to iRacing. All of us know about the premature and sad end of F1Legends and I wonder now if iRacing will ever exist after GPL...

Now, I'm pretty sure I will enjoy as many of the 60k combinations of track+car as possible.

Marcos

#39 bob holada

bob holada

Old Fart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Music

Posted Jan 01 2019 - 07:42 AM

The Biggest reason for me has been the oAo league.  It is a great league full of great people.

#40 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,001 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Jan 01 2019 - 09:53 AM

Because I haven't finished all the TotalRanks yet.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links