Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:grand prix legends and mods
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 18 2020 - 01:32 PM

Hi All,

I have often wondered about using triple screens for GPL. Always thought this might be the ultimate ???

I have though recently upgraded from a decent quality Asus 24" screen to a newer Asus 27" monitor. Not quite sure of the aspect ratio but its definitely a wider frame. GPL on it with or without the letterbox looks amazing.

My question relates to the fact that I now feel that my ideal may be a wide or even these ultra-wide screens that I keep seeing. Even perhaps the curved screen for even more immersion..

I realise these screens are a totally different aspect ratio etc, but if I was using a modern, powerful graphics card rather than going for triples would GPL look good on one of these screens?

I really don't know a great deal about all the aspect ratios, refresh rates etc etc.

Just wondered if I had the right combination of graphics card and monitor would it be better than triples.

I love the idea of triple screens but some I've seen look odd, with the monitor frames blocking out odd parts of the image, mirrors in the wrong place and the side monitors looking to have slightly odd/deformed images.

Just thinking that GPL might look amazing on a 34" widescreen.  

Just looking online at a Samsung that's a curved 49" screen. Wow!

Does anyone run GPL on a widescreen ??

thanks in advance Paul

#2 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jan 18 2020 - 01:48 PM

I know someone who uses an ultrawide for GPL and it looks pretty sick!
https://youtu.be/cYoqNYaqlT0

It all depends on the fov that you use weather it looks right or wrong.
With an ultrawide you can use a slightly more realistic fov without missing too much of your surroundings.
If you use a realistic 1:1 fov on a regular single monitor most likely your mirrors won't be on screen, so you have to compromise for that.

That said triples will always be more immersive because you can wrap them around yourself and have a even wider, yet still realistic fov.

Edited by Millennium, Jan 18 2020 - 01:50 PM.

#3 GPLaps

GPLaps

GPLaps

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted Jan 18 2020 - 02:39 PM

I use an ultrawide, LG 34 inch at 3440x1440.

I crop my youtube videos because the 16x9 is more common, but it looks awesome with the extra width. Highly recommended!

#4 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 1,138 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Jan 18 2020 - 03:03 PM

I use a LG 34' 2560x1080 with a FOV of 67
and get the mirrors by keeping the FOV with GPLShift or GPLSA

This was also discussed here: http://srmz.net/inde...opic=8944&st=40

#5 unterfranken

unterfranken

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Sim Racing, GTR2, PnG, GPL

Posted Jan 18 2020 - 03:20 PM

I would like to get a widescreen display for GPL.

My monitor has a 27-inch display and the native resolution is 2560 x 1440.
At the moment I only get GPL in a 4:3 Format.

#6 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 18 2020 - 08:33 PM

Ultra-wide monitors are stupid, you just end up with huge amounts of rectilinear distortion from the single viewport. You are better off getting triple screen.
In theory, they could be better but no games support cylindrical rendering and the radius of them is far too big so for it to work, you would have to sit miles back anyway (your eyes should be in the centre of the circle).

I would probably suggest a cheap triple screen setup. Unfortunately, GPL does not currently support triple screen multi-viewport rendering but it might be able to be hacked in one day, whether with a patch or just a dx / ogl wrapper. And if you play other sims that do support multi-viewport rendering, triple screen is way better.
Driving sims that provide proper triple screen support with multi-viewports are assetto corsa, rfactor 2, maybe automobilista (not sure), iracing etc.

It’s sad because it all 3d games could easily support proper triple screen properly.
All they have to do is allow 3 separate viewports, one for each monitor, and allow you to configure how far away the screens are, the bezel size and the angles.

You can actually make normal single screen games a lot more immersive if you can set the FOV to something realistic. The problem is though if you are playing on a single tiny screen, it can be quite disorienting as you don’t have enough FOV to get your bearings if you move too quickly. So if you don’t have big enough screens, it is a compromise.
The bigger your screen(s) and the closer they are to you, the better.

I don’t know if any sims allow to set the eyepoint position. This is really necessary. Without it, you should position the screens so the the neutral position of your eyes matches with the horizontal / vertical centre of the screen(s).
This isn’t ideal as you really would want it to be towards the bottom of the screen to give you less view of your cockpit and more of the road. However most games don’t support this.

But yes, you can calculate your realistic FOV quite easily:
2 * arctan(screen height / (2 * distance from screen) ) = Total vertical FOV

If the game uses horizontal values in its FOV setting then just measure horizontally instead, or you can convert with:

2 * arctan( (screen height * horizontal resolution / vertical resolution ) / (2 * distance from screen) ) = Total horizontal FOV

or to calculate an equivalent fov for a 16:9 screen playing a 4:3 game:

new FOV = 2 * arctan ( tan(old FOV / 2) * (aspect from / aspect to) )

Of course this can be too awkward if you only have a small screen or the screens are too far away. If the fov is too small it can be a bit disorientating if the camera moves suddenly, so you might have to increase it a bit. With triple screen, that shouldn’t be a problem.

(For a single viewport triple screen setup, put all screens in line next to each other on a plane like they are “one big screen” and use the bezel compensation resolution. For proper triple screen, you don’t need to turn on bezel compensation as it is just a hack for bad support anyway).

To give you some idea about the difference between proper multi-viewport support:
Here is GPL running in triple screen:
https://www.amirkama...descreen01b.jpg

This is exactly the same as what you get if you run a game with proper triple screen support BUT with the side monitors at angles of 0 - you still have basically one large screen. As the horizontal FOV is quite large, the distortion in the side screens is pretty large and you can't see as far  to the left or right as you could if you could angle the screens.

Here are screenshots of a sim with proper triple screen support with screen angles set to 60 degrees:
https://www.racedepa...6/#post-2301237

Notice how there are 3 viewports, you can see where the cars dashboard changes angles.
The reason you see less distortion here is because the screen is broken up into 3 separate FOVs rather than 1 big one.

Also, with 3 screens, there is actually an ideal angle to get least distortion based on how far away you are from the screen and how big your screens are. It is the angle that puts the viewpoint of each screen in the centre of each screen.

Sorry that i can't provide you with a better picture comparison but i don't have access to a triple screen setup anymore

#7 paul_v

paul_v

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 96 posts

Posted Jan 19 2020 - 10:02 AM

Wow, thanks guys for so much help and info.

Will need to read through these posts and see which way may be best forwards for me.

Will mull all of this stuff over, and be back soon to bore the pants off you all over again .

Paul.

#8 paul_v

paul_v

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 96 posts

Posted Jan 19 2020 - 11:38 AM

Just a quick question..

If I choose triple screens, could i use a wider centre screen, say 34" and a matching pair of either 24" or 27" side screens?

I'm assuming it's best to try and equalise the vertical height of the screens.  

Just thinking even the combination of curved centre screen and two flat screen side monitors????

Paul.

Edited by paul_v, Jan 19 2020 - 11:39 AM.

#9 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 19 2020 - 06:49 PM

You are far safer with 3 identical screens. I cannot even remember if games that support triple screen properly allow for different size and positions - there is no reason why the shouldn't, but they don't make to make their setup dialogues complicated. And for games that don't support triple screen, you need them to be the same pixel size really, because you are effectively just using "1 big screen".
If you can get a freesync screen that would be useful as you could in theory run it at either gpl's 36 hz or a multiple (say, 72hz).

Curved is just a gimmick that they are running with just because it wasn't possible before. The problem is, games don't support curved rendering and the curve is sooooo shallow that to be at the centre point of the circle of that curve, you would have to be sitting over the other side of a massive room and your fov would be tiny.

If you want curved, you are better off getting projectors. Actually there is software to support warping for that but i don't know how it works. I don't know whether it only works with triple viewport games or whether with single viewport games it just warps a single viewport to try and fake it (which wouldn't be great).
For example: http://www.warpalizer.com/products/ seems to only specifically mention multi-view games.
I also say this: http://www.nthusim.com/ which is no longer available but interestingly apparently someone was using it for NR2003: http://www.forums.nt....php?f=16&t=355 However to me, their screenshot seems to look like 1 viewport warped to a curved screen - though it is hard to tell. So in that case you don't really get any benefit. Things that support multi-view like flight sims look decent: https://www.youtube....h?v=q_n-89U3FVQ
So i would tentatively say that all their software does is what the underlying games allow it to do and that it doesn't hack the games with a wrapper to add multi-view rendering and then warp those. In which case it is a waste of money for that usage.

For gpl i would just say get whatever you can get cheaply that has the lowest input lag and biggest screen-size with good resolution. Triple screens will be better if you ever plan to try other games or someone manages to hack in multi-view support.
But yes, the curved, ultrawide screens are a big gimmick unfortunately.

#10 Millennium

Millennium

ErikGPL

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted Jan 20 2020 - 12:12 AM

Curved screens are not really just a gimmick, with larger sizes they can be useful because the viewing angle over the entire screen will be more uniform. If you're going over 27 inch it can be quite helpful, especially on tn panels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links