- - - - -

Eye Strain - What Might Be The Best Strategies To Avoid It?

eye strain monitor settings gaming glasses monitor filters

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Feb 12 2018 - 12:39 PM

@ Millennium

Thanks for the advice :D Will have a further look into this and a good look around the net :wave:

TP:

#17 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,839 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Feb 12 2018 - 12:48 PM

Do like I do and close your eyes while driving. You'll find that it removes any sense of danger or stress, and thus keeps your eyes nice and relaxed. If you find it difficult to train yourself to do this, you could try a pair of Douglas Adams' peril-sensitive glasses instead, although I'm not sure about the retail cost. Good luck! ;) :thumbup: :wave:

#18 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Feb 12 2018 - 01:22 PM

View PostSaiph, on Feb 12 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

Do like I do and close your eyes while driving. You'll find that it removes any sense of danger or stress, and thus keeps your eyes nice and relaxed. If you find it difficult to train yourself to do this, you could try a pair of Douglas Adams' peril-sensitive glasses instead, although I'm not sure about the retail cost. Good luck! ;) :thumbup: :wave:

Now we know why you're weaving all over the track. We thought you were drunk.

#19 maddog

maddog

Graham Hill

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted Feb 12 2018 - 08:02 PM

I have no eye strain from racing at 36fps, but near the screen edge, 60 looks better. If my brother looks at the same screen at the same time, he can see no difference.  So, the way we see movement must be different.  What is the difference?

I checked the framerate used by BBC digital TV in the UK.  It's 25fps, and  would not be so low, if it caused eyestrain. :angrypc:  

The difference for our Sim, is motion blur.  We don't have it!  Photography/Videography needs light, and this process makes motion blur.  Maybe some of us need this smoothing motion, to make our simulated World more realistic?  Does less realistic make eye strain, for some and not others?  What else can be tested to help decide where the problem is?

Michkov's idea to make the Computer room lighter, and the Monitor less bright is good -  I always do this.  And I always use default FOV.  It was made to give the same lens perspective as your eyes, for less strain on the brain. ;)  A wider FOV makes frames jump further at the screen edge - not good.

What else?  For those who race happily at 36fps, 36 is good!  For the 60's, more ideas may help with Ai at 36.  Maybe someday they'll be made to race smoothly at 60. :cool:

Edited by maddog, Feb 12 2018 - 09:03 PM.

#20 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Feb 13 2018 - 04:20 AM

Most european broadcasts are 50 fps, but in a interlaced resolution. (1080i here in the Netherlands)

Motion blur works great for movies, but it's terrible for games. Especailly when there is a lot of camera movement, which you won't find very often in tv programs and movies. If there would be videogame like camera movements in a movie you're eyes will defenitly get tired and you may start to feel sick.

I do think it's true that people percieve framerates differently, but it also depends on the application. For istance, when I play Dirt Rally with Group B cars 60 fps is still too low in my opinion (because of the quick rotational movements) and framerates above 90 are very usefull. In GPL however 60 fps is good enough in most situations.

Edited by Millennium, Feb 13 2018 - 04:20 AM.

#21 maddog

maddog

Graham Hill

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted Feb 13 2018 - 05:44 AM

Digital TV runs at 50 frames when re-interlaced, but motion comes with every 2nd frame.  The blur comes as part of the package.  I'm surprised if motion blur added to Sims is not helpful, but we do not all see things the same way.  When fps become very high, motion becomes smooth without it, but we don't have that possibility. :unsure:

One difference between 36 and 60 is screen flicker,  36fps causes flicker on a monitor screen, while 60 causes much less.  A TV gives us a picture 50 times a second rather than 25.  Maybe the eye-strain is mostly caused by a flickering monitor?  When using shuttered 3d glasses, a minimum of 100Hz is recommended to avoid eye strain - 50 frames left eye - 50 frames right eye.  This may be where keeping a brighter room is helpful at 36, to fill in some light space on the screen, but we have only our own eyes to judge this by.

Rather than creating a 72fps patch, and hoping to someday fix Ai, there may be another way to someday fix eye strain for all.  We need a programmer to double up each frame, so the cars will run at 72fps, but continue to race at 36.  If flicker is the problem, this will help fix the flicker.  B)

Edited by maddog, Feb 13 2018 - 08:28 AM.

#22 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Feb 13 2018 - 07:20 AM

Motion blur isn't added during deinterlacing, it also depends on the deinterlacing technique. An interlaced signal at 50 herz only shows a half picture every frame but you can't just combines two frames and get a 25 fps progressive image. There is motion in every frame even tough it's a half picture, so combining them speeds up the video. I found this out the hard way during my internship as a video producer for a gaming website, de├»nterlacing can be very annoying. Modern tv's use a lot of trickery that can provide pretty good results though.  

36 fps can also cause flicker because it doesn't match up with the refreshrate of todays monitors. Old crt monitors often had a 72 herz option, which matched perfectly with the 36 fps of GPL. Today monitors are mostly 59/60 herz and that isn't ideal. There are options like AMD's Freesync that can match the refreshrate of a monitor to the framerate outputted by the gpu, that can help and also prevents screen tearing.

If you have a 144 herz monitor it should in theory also work better with GPL because that refreshrate does match with the game.

Edited by Millennium, Feb 13 2018 - 07:36 AM.

#23 Pedro L Ramalho

Pedro L Ramalho

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Historic Formula 1

Posted Mar 27 2018 - 04:20 PM

Friends, still about this topic, I decided a few days ago to buy a Gunnar glasses, with yellow lenses, like Millenium suggested in the beggining of this discussion.

I must tell you that I am very satisfied with it. Now I can play a lot more without eye fatigue. The glasses change the colour of the image to a less agressive tone (more or less like comparing a white lamp lighting with a yellow lamp lighting) and everything gets clearer. Including, this glasses ("Gunnar Intercept") magnify the image about 10-20%, which helps a lot too.

#24 guiporsche

guiporsche

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Football, Old school and present racing, History
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 07 2018 - 01:37 PM

Had a routine appointment with my ophthalmologist who reminded me of a little thing that is of much help and costs little: eye drops! There's some good options available in the market (liquid, gel), so it's a question of finding what suits you most.

#25 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,839 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Apr 07 2018 - 08:37 PM

View Postguiporsche, on Apr 07 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

Had a routine appointment with my ophthalmologist who reminded me of a little thing that is of much help and costs little: eye drops! There's some good options available in the market (liquid, gel), so it's a question of finding what suits you most.

It's best to treat the causes of eye strain rather than just the symptoms. Your eyes will stay healthier and last longer that way. :thumbup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links