gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 04 2017 - 07:06 AM

Axel, I believe that the newspaper animation (spinning) is a routine within gpl.exe  The external graphic and settings files are winning.win, winning.lyt and paperbak.pbf (all within the layout.dat) - some of these are changed for each mod.

#17 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,245 posts

Posted Nov 04 2017 - 08:55 AM

To set graphics to 16 bit, you might have to right click on the EXE (GPL or mod specific) > properties in Windows 10 (or 7 too?).  I’m not near my computer to describe it better.

And you have to use the original D3D rasterizer, I believe.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Nov 04 2017 - 08:57 AM.

#18 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,388 posts

Posted Nov 05 2017 - 09:16 AM

I've always run GPL in a small window in order to test my patches with a debugger.  As Bob said, I believe you have to set the desktop graphics to 16 bit.  Also,

1.  Use D3D7 or OpenGL v1s
2.  Set resolution to 640x480 or 800x600 to keep window small
3.  Edit core.ini to run in windows mode--"fullScreen=0"

#19 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,388 posts

Posted Nov 05 2017 - 09:26 AM

I believe the slow newspaper rotation first appeared with the '67 Sports Cars.  As Greg said, the code in the gpl.exe actually causes the rotation and the .lyt files most likely have no influence.  I've always used NVidia cards so don't know about others.

As a way of background, when we were working on the '67 Sports Cars, our primary programmer left GPL for good, but left us with several sets of beta physics.  These sets offered enhanced physics capabilities, but were very buggy so Richard and I spent several months mixing and matching .xml patches to find the best combination that provided the enhanced physics and didn't crash GPL.  This was a very laborious task as it was all trial and error.  If memory serves, the final set we came up with had the newspaper bug, but it was a small price to pay for the much better physics.

We have been using the same basic set of physics for every mod since and there is no fix for the newspaper bug.

#20 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Nov 05 2017 - 04:55 PM

I would not say it's a bug in GPL, as it happens only with NVidia GPUs! and it did work some time ago with them...

IMO NV did change anything in their openGL driver that causes stutters with text, afaik OGL has allways had problems with text rendering.
Maybe they just removed the font we need...

#21 Tato

Tato

sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dirt Rally, watching real races, modeling

Posted Nov 06 2017 - 02:10 AM

Hello all. :)

I've started to use OpenGL rasterizers so far and never came back, since Mr. Nigel Pattinsons releases ver. 2 - still MANY MANY thanks to him! :wub:

Previously, OpenGL never worked properly - or even never worked at all! - in my rigs, no matter about pc specs, video cards brand or model, OS, settings and whatever in the hell...

...but being a massive pc games' consumer, I've learned in the years that OGL gives a considerable performances' improvment - more fps, in the end - maintaining good graphics and sometimes even less issues over more common DirectX API, specially if you - like me - usually are an NVIDIA gfx cards user; so when I discoverd OpenGL v2 worked quite well, I've started to use it. This is the story so far, sorry for boring introduction.

Now the point: I think this was discussed here too some years ago - but not sure, please apologize my old memory; anyway, I can affirm with no doubt that is linked in some way to how GPL program loads and manages characters with OGL - it's why the issue is more noticeable when you have many of them on the screen, i.e. with session's times table or newspaper, and it affects all the image or frame, causing the annoying jerks, due to a sort of major delay on refresh, probably (but not sure) because characters loading on screen give a lot of abnormal extra-work on GPU and CPU; we are talking about real-time text of course, not static in the .pbf files for example. No idea how to solve except a programmer commits time and work on it, but again I can affirm that reducing or even turning off Antialiasing features into your gfx card's options (if the screen resolution is high enough to not give noticeable aliasing artifact, or if you can drive and survive with not much probs with it) give a lot of relief to this issue, because it's clear that AA calculation dramatically improves the problem, and of course things goes worse and worse as AA is higher; that's why I never goes over AA 8x in GPL, that anyway is good enough for my todays driving resolution.

Of course I'm talking here about NVIDIA-GPU-based cards and drivers, because stated by reports the issues doesn't affects ATI's GPUs, that historically have always worked better with AA features over NVIDIA - it's a fact, but I can't say why in a technical way; so if you are only or mainly a GPL driver, you can seriously take in consideration to move straight to ATI next time. For my particular case, since I have hundreds of other games on my rigs, most of them by my brother, i.e. First Person Shooter or so, I prefer to keep an NVIDIA card (no more ATI user since 2004...), taking also in account that in general, not GPL's text and characters particular issue, NVIDIA manage OpenGL much better, with significant fps improvments. This is for reference only, take and choice what you prefer of course!

Hope my humble two cents to the discussion help to "solve the mistery" :lol:  and, as usual, sorry for my poor english language :P

Regards, see you soon and happy racing to all! :wave:

Edited by Tato, Nov 06 2017 - 02:35 AM.

#22 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Nov 06 2017 - 04:06 AM

Just something that Tato helped me reminding: when I am on track, I get 36 fps rock solid; BUT, if any kind of font appears on screen (chat, message, help window) I get a massive drop as soon as written text is displayed

#23 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted Nov 06 2017 - 07:06 AM

I just made a test with a very short online 65s race at Monza with 10 AIs...

AMD FX 4300@ 4200MHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, MSI GTX660 2GB - 1920 x 1080 screen 60fpsaiV1

AA does not make a difference!
I switched all AA off - and I set AA to all maximum -> but got no different text rendering!
Still slideshow of TV screen and spinning newspaper.

It really depends how much text is shown on the menue left side, the more the worse...

Edited by Cookie, Nov 06 2017 - 07:09 AM.

#24 Tato

Tato

sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dirt Rally, watching real races, modeling

Posted Nov 06 2017 - 09:02 AM

View PostCookie, on Nov 06 2017 - 07:06 AM, said:

I just made a test with a very short online 65s race at Monza with 10 AIs...

AMD FX 4300@ 4200MHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, MSI GTX660 2GB - 1920 x 1080 screen 60fpsaiV1

AA does not make a difference!
I switched all AA off - and I set AA to all maximum -> but got no different text rendering!
Still slideshow of TV screen and spinning newspaper.

It really depends how much text is shown on the menue left side, the more the worse...

Thanks for your report. Strange that AA value doesn't change something, at least for newspaper.

#25 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 696 posts

Posted Nov 06 2017 - 09:12 AM

Funny thing is that with the main track map on the left you have less stuttering, with a grid or training results on the left side you have a slow slideshow...

I think even the spinning newspaper is better with the map shown before :huh:

#26 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,723 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Nov 06 2017 - 07:18 PM

"Funny thing is that with the main track map on the left you have less stuttering, with a grid or training results on the left side you have a slow slideshow..."

Well .... I never noticed that.  That is interesting.  Now I understand what you guys were talking about with 'chat window', 'timing display', etc.  Cool stuff !!  I can alternate between watching the AI with the track map showing and switch to timing/positions from time-to-time.  Not ideal - but workable.

That leaves that 'spinning newspaper'.  Gonna look into that code within the gpl.exe.  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links