ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts
  • Interests:Mountain
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 07 2019 - 06:54 AM

Installed your FIX A; did a full lap in a SportsCar MOD Alfa T33 trying to crash against every harder turn and I did not have any issues at all.
I consider the CTD problem FIX. :thumbup:

#22 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 997 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Jun 07 2019 - 07:08 AM

Yes on track all is fine,
all fixes are installed
but the CTD in main Menu still remains here,
I just had one online, after a lap, exiting the car to main menue -> CTD

#23 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Trackmaking, Bike Road Racing, Links Golf, Long Distance Walking.

Posted Jun 07 2019 - 11:10 AM

POINT [ 1 ]

The Menu issues reported by Pedro and Cookie above are a complete mystery to me. I have no idea what to suggest or what if anything I can do to the track files to mitigate. I have no expertise in how the actual game engine works.

Please help with this issue if any of you have a clue what is happening there.

POINT [ 2 ]

CTD FIX A and later fixes use refined draw distances to enhance stability and improve frame rates for all systems, including higher end ones, without any visible pop ups that I can see. I would therefor encourage everyone to apply that FIX A.

Edited by Jim Pearson, Jun 07 2019 - 11:17 AM.

#24 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 258 posts

Posted Jun 07 2019 - 11:21 AM

View Postginetto, on Jun 07 2019 - 06:54 AM, said:

Installed your FIX A; did a full lap in a SportsCar MOD Alfa T33 trying to crash against every harder turn and I did not have any issues at all.
I consider the CTD problem FIX. :thumbup:

That's very encouraging Ginetto. Thanks and thanks for all the other feedback guys.

There is a report in the release thread that the player's car gets stuck in the pits if selecting "Pits" from the Options Manager program in TRAINING MODE.

I have tested with the Default settings with an Alfa 33 and exiting the Pits works fine for me.

Could some of you please test if this is the case for you and report back?

Thanks

Edited by Jim Pearson, Jun 07 2019 - 11:44 AM.

#25 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted Jun 07 2019 - 12:19 PM

I had no problems starting with any SCX car out of the pits...

But please Jim have another look at the wall I reported, or is this not yet fixed with a haybale?

Attached Files

#26 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,278 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Jun 07 2019 - 12:21 PM

"There is a report in the release thread that the player's car gets stuck in the pits if selecting "Pits" from the Options Manager program in TRAINING MODE.

I have tested with the Default settings with an Alfa 33 and exiting the Pits works fine for me."

Tested here with same results.  All good starting in the pits using Alfa T33 in Training Mode.

#27 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 258 posts

Posted Jun 07 2019 - 02:16 PM

View Postgliebzeit, on Jun 07 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

"There is a report in the release thread that the player's car gets stuck in the pits if selecting "Pits" from the Options Manager program in TRAINING MODE.

I have tested with the Default settings with an Alfa 33 and exiting the Pits works fine for me."

Tested here with same results.  All good starting in the pits using Alfa T33 in Training Mode.

Now resolved by moving Pit Stall_0 to lateral 16.5. I have asked Lee to see if he can amend his Options Manager program.

#28 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,986 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Jun 07 2019 - 03:06 PM

Cookie and Pedro,

Please could you give your specs: Processor type, clock speed, RAM, video card make, model, VRAM? I have a feeling (although it's a bit speculative) that your CTDs may be memory related - possibly system but more likely video. Have either of you tried using the LITE version of the course to see if that helps? (Edit: Jim's reminded me that you were probably using the Lite version Cookie.)

Edited by Saiph, Jun 07 2019 - 04:55 PM.

#29 jonny'o

jonny'o

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jun 07 2019 - 03:57 PM

I made the addons and it still does not work.
I think for my dinosaur the spa67 is the limit, and my rasterizer is set to maximum mip size of 250.

I think I'm excluded :bigcry2:

#30 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 258 posts

Posted Jun 07 2019 - 04:48 PM

View Postjonny, on Jun 07 2019 - 03:57 PM, said:

I made the addons and it still does not work.
I think for my dinosaur the spa67 is the limit, and my rasterizer is set to maximum mip size of 250.

I think I'm excluded :bigcry2:

250? or 256?

Don't loose heart. Maybe I can make a mini textures set. But not for a few days. There are a lot over your size limit and they have map values for long /lat stretch values that would make mini textures look pretty blurred.

Edited by Jim Pearson, Jun 07 2019 - 07:45 PM.

#31 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 258 posts

Posted Jun 07 2019 - 04:58 PM

View PostCookie, on Jun 07 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

I had no problems starting with any SCX car out of the pits...

But please Jim have another look at the wall I reported, or is this not yet fixed with a haybale?

OK Cookie, thats interesting because the earlier fix was good enough for an open wheeler but not the Sports Car with presumably a bigger collision box!

Anyway,  I tested with the Chaparral and verified your problem with that car. I found that both angled walls there, fence and curb, were both extending collision beyond their ends into the track a little.

So, because I was having to change the TRK file for the minor May Hill fix anyway, I have taken the fence and the curb back laterally about 1 meter and then reinstated the Straw Bale with its own collision value.

Tested again with the Chapparal and seems to be a good fix this time.

Attached Files

#32 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Jun 07 2019 - 11:56 PM

So tonight after having restarted my PC I did some testing and I discovered that if I'm in single race/practice I get (could not initialize replay system) when the track is trying to load . In training mode I get no CTD's in the in game menu or during a replay and on track it works flawlessly with Jim's fixes. I tested it at 36 FPS and 60FPS with the same results. So this has to do with memory and the replay system. I've never had this problem with Targa Florio or Spa67. Does anyone out there know a solution to this ?
  I also realized that if you are in single race/practice you can only start from the pit box and using the start position options will not work and you will get a CTD when you hit ESC/Enter. It will only work in training mode which makes sense.
Tonight I finally got to do a lap and record a time of 22.43 with several spins and crashes but at least the game itself didn't crash.lol  Thanks again Jim!!!

My PC
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
CPU  AMD FX-6100 6-core processor 3.30 GHz
RAM  4.00 GB  single channel DDR3@803 MHz
Motherboard  Asus M5A78L-M LX Plus
Graphics  1911MB ATI Radeon 3000 graphics (Asus)
Seagate 1 TB hard drive

Edited by marco lenarduzzi, Jun 07 2019 - 11:59 PM.

#33 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted Jun 08 2019 - 05:21 AM

My PC specs are good enough for a full 19 grid 69X Spa67 grid starting from behind with constant 60fps....
Loading and racing Targa with 60fps is no problem!

i5 4670k@4x4000MHz - 8GB RAM - 250GB SSD
The only bottleneck could be my GTX 960 - 2GB of VRAM with 128bit bandwidth, wich is loaded up to 70% .

IMO it has to do with the memory loaded of the gplxx.exe - SCX 1.1GB - 65s 850MB
Maybe Ginetto knows how this is handled with Spa67 or Targa?

Edited by Cookie, Jun 08 2019 - 05:23 AM.

#34 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,986 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Jun 08 2019 - 08:43 AM

Despite the fact that Targa is ~42 miles and the full Isle of Man is 37.75 miles, and despite the amazing level of detail at Spa67, it looks like the number of objects and the overall amount of detail in the new IoM course is greater than both of them. (On my disk, Targa = 560MB, Spa67 = 849MB, AAIOM = 1.1GB. But of course Jim and Lee have provided a lot of extra options.) So I think I would be correct in saying that Jim's new track is now the biggest burden for PC owners wishing to drive GPL. I think I would also be correct in saying that large GPL tracks increase usage of system memory (for the track model, object data etc), as well as video memory (for object and landscape textures).

So I think it's possible that this might be the cause of people having problems running the course. 4GB of system RAM might be a cause (especially when you're getting the 'could not initialise replay' message). But I think 2GB video RAM might be a more likely bottleneck, as Cookie says.

Possible fixes?

SYTEM RAM fixes:

Try using a LITE version of the track, if available.

To fix 'Could not initialise replay system': Edit your CORE.INI file in the main GPL directory. Find the '[ Replay ]' section (usually near the bottom?) which refers to 'replayMemoryOverride', and try changing it to:

[ Replay ]
replayMemoryOverride = 180000

(Just to be clear that's 18 and four zeroes.) I set this value in my CORE.INI a long time ago, and (touch wood) I've never had any problems. But I have 16GB of system RAM, so it's possible this amount won't work for you. If that's the case, then the only thing I can suggest is to try adjusting the figure by perhaps 20,000 and trying again (so going to 200000, 220000, 240000, etc and if you still get no luck try going down to 160000, 140000, 120000 etc). Hopefully you will find a figure which works with the amount of RAM you have. Sorry if that method is a bit vague, but I'm not a 100% expert on how the GPL replay system works.
(If you don't have a '[ Replay ]' section in your CORE.INI you can create one by inserting the two lines I've shown after another section in the file. You can also add a blank line above and below to keep things looking neat and tidy.)

Another thing to ensure is that you shut down all unnecessary programs and processes in your PC before you start GEM, to make sure GPL gets as much RAM as possible.

VIDEO RAM fixes:

Try using a LITE version of the track files, if one is available.

Go to GEM, and click on the 'Rasteriser' button. Try setting 'Toss Biggest Mips' to 1. Also try setting a 'Maximum Mip Size' to 512 or 256 (the number should always be a power of 2). Many tracks use 1024x1024 or even 2048x2048 textures, and these can be quite expensive in terms of VRAM usage.

I can't think of anything else at the moment. I hope this is useful. Good luck.

Edited by Saiph, Jun 08 2019 - 08:46 AM.

#35 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 258 posts

Posted Jun 08 2019 - 09:00 AM

View PostCookie, on Jun 08 2019 - 05:21 AM, said:

My PC specs are good enough for a full 19 grid 69X Spa67 grid starting from behind with constant 60fps....
Loading and racing Targa with 60fps is no problem!

i5 4670k@4x4000MHz - 8GB RAM - 250GB SSD
The only bottleneck could be my GTX 960 - 2GB of VRAM with 128bit bandwidth, wich is loaded up to 70% .

IMO it has to do with the memory loaded of the gplxx.exe - SCX 1.1GB - 65s 850MB
Maybe Ginetto knows how this is handled with Spa67 or Targa?

Have a word with Pedro. He has found a work around for his similar issues I believe.

#36 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted Jun 08 2019 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for the thanks, but just to be clear for everyone, Jim did all the track work so all the credit belongs to him for making this magnificent track.  I had nothing to do with the track graphics at all.

I was honored when Jim asked me to make a utility program for the track.  Hopefully it will help everyone in learning the track and make it easier to change out Jim's optional graphics files.  It was my first attempt at writing a VB.net program, but I think the effort was worth it.

I agree with Saiph that these weird issues could be related to the user's PC memory capacity.  One of the mod teams had some private discussions about this a year or two ago.  The general consensus at that time was that a good GPL PC would run a 64 bit operating system, have a minimum of 8 GBs of system RAM, and at least 2 GBs of VRAM.  This allows the GPL program 3.5 GBs or more of system RAM (the OS would be located elsewhere in physical RAM) and the VRAM could accommodate the original '67 Sports Car mod and the Spa67 track graphics which totaled about 1.5 GBs.  And the fastest cpu and video that money allows of course.

Since that time, we've had the release of the '67 Sports Car Extra mod and now the long version IOM track both of which are more graphics intensive.  So a 2.0 GB VRAM video card may not be enough now.

Edited by Lee200, Jun 08 2019 - 12:08 PM.

#37 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 258 posts

Posted Jun 08 2019 - 10:08 AM

View PostLee200, on Jun 08 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

Thanks for the thanks, but just to be clear for everyone, Jim did all the track work so all the credit belongs to him for making this magnificent track.  I had nothing to do with the track graphics at all.

I was honored when Jim asked me to make a utility program for the track.  Hopefully it will help everyone in learning the track and make it easier to change out Jim's optional graphics files.  It was my first attempt at writing a VB.net program, but I think the effort was worth it.

I agree with Saiph that these weird issues could be related to the user's PC memory capacity.  One of the mod teams had some private discussions about this a year or two ago.  The general consensus at that time was that a good GPL PC would run a 64 bit operating system, have a minimum of 8 GBs of system RAM, and at least 2 GBs of VRAM.  This allows the GPL program 3.5 GBs or more of system RAM (the OS would be located elsewhere in physical RAM) and the VRAM could accommodate the original '67 Sports Car mod and the Spa67 track graphics which totaled about 1.5 GBs.  And the fastest cpu and video that money allows of course.

Since that time, we've had the release of the '67 Sports Car Extra mod and now the long version IOM track both of which are more graphics intensive.  So a 2.0 VRAM video may not be enough now.

Lee put in a lot of work on this over a year or so, having to learn new skills in the process and try to understand my rather esoteric concepts and make them actually work.

What he has achieved has enhanced the files I made by making them accessible, for a lot of users would not otherwise be bothered doing laborious manual file swaps.

His own programs Track Start and Pace Notes are uniquely his own and with the little tweeking done to fit this particular track, the Pace notes should save a lot of crashes and damage to my carefully constructed track surrounds. :drive1:

If you damage a wall or hedge, you will have to pay for it!  :notice:

Seriously, a fine effort from the man holding a bike helmet, somewhere in the track! :bravo:

Edited by Jim Pearson, Jun 08 2019 - 12:35 PM.

#38 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 258 posts

Posted Jun 08 2019 - 10:24 AM

HEADS UP

Just to put everyone on notice that I intend to prepare a new Build of this track BUILD 1.1 in the next day or two, once I am fairly sure there are no new issues people want me to address /new issues/ CTD's identified.

If the track is stable with current fixes, then I would like to wrap up this review phase and get everyone on to the new track 3DO's ,Track [trk] files and the other small fixes done but not distributed yet.

There will be a new full installer version 1.1 and a new Lite installer version 1.1 stand alone install, using the same trk file; however those of you who read this will already have the track installed, so there will be Update Zips for both the full version and those who have been using the LITE files. Using these update Zips will bring your track up to BUILD 1.1 spec.

Fuller explanation in the attached Readme.

So please report any issues you feel haven't been resolved that might be corrected by changes to the track files...ASAP,  but at least by Sunday this weekend.

Thanks.

Attached Files

#39 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted Jun 08 2019 - 10:25 AM

I appreciate the great work of you and Lee 100%,
since your release I have a big smile in my face!

Some minutes ago I ordered a GTX 1060 with 6GB VRAM...

#40 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,986 posts

Posted Jun 08 2019 - 11:07 AM

View PostJim Pearson, on Jun 08 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

Seriously, a fine effort from the man holding a bike helmet, somewhere in the track!

Aha! Previously you told us he was there, but you didn't give us much of a clue where to search in the 37.75 miles! But now we know we have to look for a helmet! I'm keeping my eyes Peeled. (Or should that be Ramseyed? Or Douglased? ;) :D)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links