• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 01 2018 - 03:27 PM

Probably one of the biggest debates and mysteries in Motorsport.

His death ranking on the same shockwave of Jim Clark.

Was his death due to a broken (pre modified) steering column.

Was it because the safety car (one of first times used) too slow, not up to standard and with this the race tyres were too cold. Not only loosing grip, but tyre pressure, which reduced car ride height and caused unusual sparks, from under the car. But then again it was the same for all, not just Senna.

Or was it Senna's head, that wasn't into the weekend. Due to his concerns over driver safety and the unfortunate incidents, over that fateful gp event.

Could it have been that he pushed it too far and just that once, lost his enormous talent and skill base at Tamburello corner.

Is there things unexplained and hidden from the truth. Or was it a case of that we are looking too much into it, can't see the woods for the trees and just another racing incident, with fatality.

https://youtu.be/25sAVcRBunk

https://youtu.be/1NjSIZfG5rk

TP 😁👍

Edited by twinpotter, May 01 2018 - 03:29 PM.

#2 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor

Posted May 02 2018 - 09:08 AM

According to the autopsy on the body, the photos presented by the marshalls in that corner and the dynamic reconstruction, the Court declared that a badly-welded steering column (the mechanics had to shorten it because Senna was feeling too compressed in the FW14: "If I eat a sandwich I won't fit in there!" he told to Ezio Zermiani, journalist for Gazzetta dello Sport in early March '94, and the shortening was confirmed by Frank Williams himself), broke because of the vibrations it had to cope with in that corner. Plus, the steering wheel bracket broke and pierced Ayrton's helmet and head, leaving him semi-conscious but un-operable, because of a faulty universal joint on the car side.

Sir Frank Williams and his mechanics would've been facing at least 20 years for murder, since they didn't (according to Jean Pierre Balestre) check the car for the modifications after the welding and give enough proofs for its safety, and that's what happened in 1995, but the appeal in 1997 threw it all out the window because Ecclestone and Williams never presented the black box, so the Court ruled in their favour. Sure that black box missing does raise suspicions... it was missing since the very beginning, for the Carabinieri analyzed the car an noticed it was missing.

#3 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted May 02 2018 - 10:14 AM

Murder would have meant they killed Senna on purpose, I think you meant manslaughter.

#4 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,447 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted May 02 2018 - 10:39 AM

I heard as a rumour about the steering wheel column, been shortened.

Also heard about the black box mystery and that it had been smashed up by an hammer.

I won't name names but post interviews on the event, from the team's top brass, years and years down the line, have always felt suspicious. With like they're hiding something.

But I presume now, we'll never ever know or find out. With a combination of Senna asking for the column to be shortened and the team doing it (if at all true) then afterwards, the team not only covered themselves but Senna's possible extreme and maybe foolish request 🤔

TP:

#5 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted May 02 2018 - 12:42 PM

I always thought it was part of the right front suspension that pierced his helmet.

Away, whatever happened you can't blame the constructor or mechanics. Machines will always break. If you get in one you do so at your own risk.

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links