Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Formula One
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 09:13 AM

Hi all!

Well, i have an interesting issue. I run GPL via GEM+. I do it with my Samsung SmarTV as monitor, connected to the PC via HDMI cable. All goes right. But when I go to the game, the screen with the car in boxes appears on the top left of the screen, very little, and the game crash to desktop without error message.

But, if I don't use the hdmi connection, only the screen of my laptop, the game run perfectly.

I tried to plug the HDMI once the game is running, I mean, when the car is in the laptop screen, running, I plugin the HDMI cable and... what happens? Both the TV and the laptop screen freezes, but funnily, the car is still going: I can hear the engine, the car crashing and all kind of things. The game is running, but both screens are freezing.

The resolution of the HDMI and GPL is 1366x768, the top of the ingame options, and matches the resolution of the TV via HDMI.

I changed de DirectMirror... in the core.ini from 1 to 0, but nothing.

Funny enough, once upon a time it works perfectly, but with an absolutely fresh installation, did it yesterday, it is impossible to play on the tv.

Could someone help me?

Thanks a lot in advance!!!!

#2 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:AssettoCorsa,rFactor2,LiveForSpeed,Race07

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 09:34 AM

hi, maybe you are experiencing this problem, please take a look (and other posts in the same thread): http://srmz.net/inde...14

also you may want to check/reset screen resolution once you opened GPL, just go option and set to max resolution your TV allows. The reason for this is, GPL will likely reset its resolution to the lowest value if it finds a different monitor/size than the last time, so you may get the small screen. (or manually set resolution via player.ini [ Driving Resolution ] section, depends on mod the name might be different, the file is inside your players folder). PS: assume using OpenGLv2

Edited by SV3000, Oct 23 2018 - 09:37 AM.

#3 jovina

jovina

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for your answer, SV3000.

I tried your options, and the FPS program... but nothing. (By the way, I only achieve a maximum of 36 fps)

I also tried modifying de player.ini, but doesn`t works. And with OpenGLv2, the game freezes a lot, both in the game menu as in the proper game (playing). Only with D3DV2, the game runs ok in all senses.

I matched the resolutions of my tv and the game (1366x768) -player.ini, GEM+, and ingame resolution option-, but with the HDMI switched on, I have the same problem (after trying some solutions, yours and from other posts...) But, if I switch off the HDMI, the game runs perfectly well on the screen of my laptop, with the steering wheel and all the stuff.

I feel tired, because I cannot find a solution or a person with exactly the same problem... and all (and ONLY) I want is to play the game on my 42' TV screen, to have proper fun.

Thanks a lot anyway.

#4 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,525 posts

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 03:32 PM

Sounds to me that you need to set your TV so that it will upscale GPL's displays.  GPL's menus are 640x480 resolution and will show as such unless your monitor upscales them to fill the entire screen.  This also affects GPL's 3D views as well.

You also need to select a screen resolution of 1366x768 in GEM+.  Set a custom resolution if it doesn't already show in the drop down list.  BTW, are you sure that is your TV's native resolution?  Sounds awfully low for a 42" TV

#5 Ernesto Mayer

Ernesto Mayer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Races, races and races...

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 05:16 PM

At least here in Brazil, every native TV (other than combo with monitor) has that resolution, even via HDMI. I already tried with a TV 40 "and a 32", with the same result. For me, a disaster ...
And in both, I had to configure the TV so that the 640 X 480 GPL screens appear on the entire TV screen; if you do not, the problem that has been commented on occurs.

Edited by Ernesto Mayer, Oct 23 2018 - 05:17 PM.

#6 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 05:58 PM

hi, about FPS, original GPL is hard capped at 36 fps (there is a 60fps patch), so if you running 36 on monitor, that's perfectly fine. Also it's weird that openglv2 has lower performance for you (and seems a few others do as well). In my experience, having played GPL on several different pc in the past (both ATI and nvidia), openglv2 always performed better than D3D7v2, wonder if anyone knows why.

Also this reminds me a similar thing. I once had a laptop with switchable graphics (I forced it to use the dedicated graphics at all time in bios). And since I connected it with an external monitor when I was home, I got weird bad lag/performance when playing "need for speed the run" in fullscreen, however if I switched the game to windowed-mode there wasn't any lag at all (also no lag in fullscreen if I didn't connect external monitor). In the end I never found the solution (and that laptop broke eventually). :wacko:

Edited by SV3000, Oct 23 2018 - 05:59 PM.

#7 Warren Hall Jr.

Warren Hall Jr.

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff

Posted Oct 23 2018 - 08:16 PM

Jeez, I wish I could help. I only use tvs for monitors for GPL. I've got four of them. I only use intel on board video or nvidia openglv2 for graphics.
I do use the graphics program to set the actual screen size as the stated screen resolution for the tvs is never accurate. GPL will use what ever you tell it to use in the options menu. So there's two 13" tvs for my servers and two 32" screens for my race machines. One 32 is 1080i the other other is a 720i. Neither one of those do I actually run at the stated resolution. None of them are running through a laptop.
Is there some sort of setting to look at in the laptop?

The reason I use tvs is that they are tvs. I have cable and antenna connected to them all and they're all on the internet.
Sometimes it's like being in a sports bar in my basement.
Oh, and they all come with speakers no separate speakers needed.

Edited by Warren Hall Jr., Oct 23 2018 - 08:54 PM.

#8 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,470 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Oct 24 2018 - 03:12 PM

Warren, do you use HDMI cables?

Tried HDMI once but GPL had no sound so gave it up and GPL worked fine on same 32" TV with plug for PC monitor cable.

:D

Edited by John Woods, Oct 24 2018 - 03:14 PM.

#9 Warren Hall Jr.

Warren Hall Jr.

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff

Posted Oct 24 2018 - 04:12 PM

I do use a sound cable to the tv. VGA cable is not digital. One tv is HDMI to HDMI, the other tv is HDMI to DVI. Also with a sound cable.
They are older flat screens with BIG speakers.

Edited by Warren Hall Jr., Oct 24 2018 - 05:01 PM.

#10 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted Oct 24 2018 - 04:50 PM

hi John, do other programs have sound while using HDMI cable?

I remembered when using HDMI, have to manually set one of the HDMI (TV) Audio Device listed in control panel>sound>playback tab as default device for playback to make it work. But I agree sometimes even doing the right thing wouldn't help.

Also I've tested D3D7v2 on my radeon card today again, still getting 20ish fps for unknown reasons, while openglv2 at full speed...
---------------
sometimes i wish there is a place where every info and knowledge about GPL are gathered together and well organized. (http://wiki.grandprixlegends.info) could really be a great starting place, but wasn't updated for years. i feel a lot small knowledge here and there was lost in the huge amount of the posts as time goes by, and probably never be found again.
---------------
To John:
Thanks for the update, this is probably the best option atm :lol:

Edited by SV3000, Oct 25 2018 - 12:37 PM.

#11 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,470 posts

Posted Oct 24 2018 - 06:20 PM

GPL was the only one/time I tried HDMI. No sound so that was that.
:)

View PostSV3000, on Oct 24 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

i feel a lot small knowledge here and there was lost in the huge amount of the posts as time goes by, and probably never be found again.

The only hope is for people who find something to call attention to it and get it linked on gpllinks.org.
Let me or another Links Team member know.
Happy to help.

Also, just an off-the-top suggestion to anyone interested, it might be possible to create a compilation of comments on an interesting topic.

Awhile back tried to find out if an "indexing" program, like for publishers of books, could be used to sort out forum content but got way too lost and confused to keep at it plus at that time better ones cost money and if it were possible a forum admin/owner has to implement it.

Edit:
For instance, Roberto's excellent post below is now linked.

Edited by John Woods, Oct 25 2018 - 06:21 AM.

#12 roberto teso

roberto teso

Subtitled

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Shoestrings theory

Posted Oct 25 2018 - 01:54 AM

I checked Samsung Brasil and they have same tv line as other countries, from 4k (3820x2160) to HD (1366x768), can you report your exact tv model and video card?

One problem, generally speaking, is some TV need an HDMI 2.0 cable to function properly, look here: Samsung smart tv wont recognize PC, but couldn't be your case, have you tried other games or some video benchmark like 3DMark?

For the audio troubles, HDMI transport audio in digital format, so require an reciever able to decode to, some (not so) old video card are unable to take audio signal from the bus and reqiure an S/PDIF 2 pin electrical cable to connect from motherboard or audio card 2 pin S/PDIF electrical out, look here S/PDIF connector on video cards.

Others more modern cards require HD audio driver installation, normally installed within their video drivers, for reference look here: Nvidia HDMI audio driver or there: AMD auido configuration and setup.

In my rig I have an Nvidia GTX1080 connected to an Samsung MU556120 via an 7.5 m HDMI 2.0 cable (Amazon Basic 12 euro) working perfectly with any games, from GPL to ACC, also as Home Theatre, with 4k HDR contents, only that is not an real HDR tv, as it can do only 400 nits and don't have local dimming, but it's one of the fastest (16 ms gtg) and cheapest (only 320 euro) on last year market.

#13 roberto teso

roberto teso

Subtitled

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Shoestrings theory

Posted Oct 26 2018 - 02:08 AM

Another thing to check is how the scaling is managed, sometimes it works better if it is managed by the GPU, other times by the screen, depends on the GPU power and / or screen capabilities.

Here a guide for Nvidia, this for AMD and an only an hint for Intel, they have too many different control panels.

#14 jovina

jovina

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Oct 26 2018 - 05:11 AM

First of all, thank you very much for your answers and possible solutions.

Unfortunately, I am not being able to make the game run on the tv. It's strange, because there is sound, but after 5 seconds with a small screen on the top left, the game crash and returns to the GML main menu.

I am still trying some things, and your advice is wonderful.

But I have a doubt. What resolution may I have on the tv? 640? Or 1366? If the problem is the low resolution menu on GPL. Anyway, I tried both ranges of resolution.

I am lost.

#15 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,470 posts

Posted Oct 26 2018 - 06:13 AM

Just to be sure...in core.ini check this setting.

It should be:

[Rastersizer]
Fullscreen=1

Edited by John Woods, Oct 26 2018 - 06:15 AM.

#16 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,472 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Oct 26 2018 - 02:52 PM

If you haven't seen this info 🤔 Maybe try 🤔

https://www.pcworld...._your_hdtv.html

http://www.tomshardw...fullscreen.html

Unless the issue is within the GPL or gem settings.

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Oct 26 2018 - 02:52 PM.

#17 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,472 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Oct 26 2018 - 02:59 PM

Also this text from someone who was having a crash to desktop, when connecting pc to TV. Turned out to be an audio driver update, as hdmi carries audio as well as image.

I had a similar run in with HDMI and DVI-D, which is two different types of connection bandwidths. Normally if your running DVI-D (to get 1080P) your 'pipe' had enough to carry that to screen, but HDMI doesn't have enough (normally) for that from a PC Video Card (totally different with a PS3/XBOX HDMI cable). You can 'overload' but then you hit a break point and it crashes it. That would be my first diagnosis.

My second would be HDMI carries audio over the cable, where as DVI-D does not normally (though can) carry audio too. This is part of the NVIDIA Audio driver also included. This maybe crashing (break point) as well after a while.

Well, holy ::crap::. Thank you. I don't know why I didn't think of the Nvidia audio driver. I kept thinking if it was a driver, then it must be the video driver, but I neglected to check the audio driver. I never thought about it before, but it makes sense. When the PC is hooked up to my monitor, I use the generic Windows audio driver for my speakers. But it uses the Nvidia audio driver when the audio is being transmitted through video card's HDMI port.

So this morning I reinstalled the Nvidia audio driver and now it's working perfectly. I wish I had thought of this before. So, thank you, Sir, for noticing my negligence. You are a gentleman and a scholar worthy of annual Christmas cards. And thank you to everyone else that tried to help. =)

TP:

#18 jovina

jovina

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Oct 31 2018 - 02:03 AM

View Posttwinpotter, on Oct 26 2018 - 02:52 PM, said:

If you haven't seen this info Maybe try

https://www.pcworld...._your_hdtv.html

http://www.tomshardw...fullscreen.html

Unless the issue is within the GPL or gem settings.

TP:

Hi all.

Well, AT LAST the game runs on my HDTV with HDMI. I downloaded some Nvidia drivers, but nothing. But following the links above, and with some proofs, I am able to play GPL on the TV.

The GPL Menu is now a little weird, too wide and with the bottom text hide, and some minor fps problems, but that is another thing.

I am very happy, and so so so grateful to this wonderful community. Thank you all!!!!

Let's play!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links