chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 27 2013 - 02:56 PM

Hi guys
just in case someone is or will be workin on Longford for the Tasman series, I found this video wich I think will help a lot.

It could easly be one of Ginetto´s masterpiece :up:

#2 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 28 2013 - 04:58 PM

I'm pretty sure that Rob had this one in the pipeline a few years ago. I used to have that film on video tape and had long forgotten about it, thanks for posting it. I was lucky enough to have driven around the track in the mid 80's after having dinner in the pub at pub corner, which is still there. The publican was an enthusiast and the pub was like a museum about the race with framed newspaper clippings, photo's and even a sportscar in the main bar, after giving us a tour of the pub, explaining all the photo's etc. he also explained where the track went and gave directions on how to do a lap. The viaduct section is gone now but that was an eye opener, scary enough trying to negotiate it at normal speed.

Just found this (not very good quality) interview done inside the pub, if you are ever in Tasmania this is a must see for any motor sport enthusiast, I really hope the pub hasn't changed since.

#3 sergioloro

sergioloro

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 297 posts

Posted Jun 28 2013 - 08:07 PM

longford for GPL, sounds good :)

#4 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 28 2013 - 10:30 PM

View PostBurnsy865, on Jun 28 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

The viaduct section is gone now

Well it is still there as I just found on google maps, it's just impossible to drive the old circuit anymore.

Attached Files

Edited by Burnsy865, Jun 28 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#5 robwmack

robwmack

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing, Slot Car Racing, Sim Racing, Hockey, Military History

Posted Jul 04 2013 - 05:21 PM

I find it incredible that this film doesn't even mention that Tim Mayer was killed during practice for the feature race.

#6 ROOKIE4EVER

ROOKIE4EVER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted Jul 23 2015 - 10:07 AM

Sad that this circuit was never completed for GPL. :blue:

http://web.archive.o...pl/longford.asp

It's very beautiful in Rfactor, it would be marvellous in GPL.

#7 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Jul 23 2015 - 12:18 PM

I'm looking at the Tasman tracks, I've got Teretonga (65 & 68 layouts) about 70% done and made a start with very basic layouts for Pukekohe (65 &68) and Warwick Farm..... trackbuilding seems to take me forever so they won't be ready for some time yet.

If I ever get those finished I'll have a stab at completing Longford, the basic layout is built apparently but the viaduct was causing massive clipping problems which no one was able to fix at the time. Since I'm fairly new to trackbuilding it's unlikely that I'll find a solution if I ever get that far so don't get your hopes up just yet :(

Edited by Fat Rich, Jul 23 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#8 chris skepis

chris skepis

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted Jul 23 2015 - 05:41 PM

Oh WOW !!!....We´re just 30% away from Terrible Tonga !!!...Keep on Rockin´ Fats !!!!

#9 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Trackmaking, Bike Road Racing, Links Golf, Long Distance Walking.

Posted Jul 23 2015 - 06:04 PM

View PostFat Rich, on Jul 23 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

If I ever get those finished I'll have a stab at completing Longford, the basic layout is built apparently but the viaduct was causing massive clipping problems which no one was able to fix at the time. Since I'm fairly new to trackbuilding it's unlikely that I'll find a solution if I ever get that far so don't get your hopes up just yet :(

I have a fair number of different solutions for overcoming clipping in GPL. One or two may help overcome this issue. If Rob or someone working on the track wants to contact me about it with specific details, happy to offer suggestions, but dont have time to actually work on the track.

Good luck.

#10 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Jul 24 2015 - 02:43 AM

View Postchris skepis, on Jul 23 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

Oh WOW !!!....We´re just 30% away from Terrible Tonga !!!...Keep on Rockin´ Fats !!!!

:D Well, I think we're about 30% away from Teretonga, but there are things to do like groove and AI which I've never attempted before :really: ... It might be a straightforward job, it might take me ages to learn how to do it properly :) Plus there's still lots of trackside objects I want to add or improve, seems to be taking a long time. I'll keep plugging away at it.

View PostJim Pearson, on Jul 23 2015 - 06:04 PM, said:

I have a fair number of different solutions for overcoming clipping in GPL. One or two may help overcome this issue. If Rob or someone working on the track wants to contact me about it with specific details, happy to offer suggestions, but dont have time to actually work on the track.

Good luck.

Many thanks for the offer of help with the clipping, if I ever get as far as working on Longford I reckon I'll be very glad of your expertise.... Also thanks for your post on here somewhere about making realistic verges and tree lines, I'll study it again and hopefully use some of your advice on Pukekohe and Warwick Farm.

Also you mentioned a while back that Longers was working on Warwick Farm, I don't know if you put him in touch but he's very kindly sent me his files which I'll study, and possibly reuse some if he's OK with that. Or collaborate if he wants. I also finally found a great series of overhead shots of the circuit from the 50s right through to the late 70s which has allowed me to get the layout much more accurate, turns out that Sand Extraction from Georges River is far more interesting than I was expecting :D

Edited by Fat Rich, Jul 24 2015 - 03:12 AM.

#11 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted Mar 31 2018 - 05:30 AM

A thread started because of an info request wrt a GPL build.  Thread is still active with new pics/videos.

http://forums.autosp...-south-pacific/

#12 Remy

Remy

Matra boy

• Members
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Mar 31 2018 - 10:04 AM

thank you for the link :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic