Ronnie Nilsson

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Rock 'n roll.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 30 2015 - 01:21 PM

Excuse a noobish question, but I've been wondering about power bands and revs in GPL.  I've no idea how realistic it is, but especially in somewhere like the Nurburgring, where there are so many varied corners, I often wonder whether to short-shift early, or take the revs to the max.  Any advice?  I'm principally thinking about the Lotus, if that makes any difference? :)

#2 Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Sim racing, video games in general, fiction writing.

Posted Aug 30 2015 - 01:29 PM

A good thing to do is watch the AI or download a replay and see what other people do.

As far as short-shifting is concerned as far as I'm concerned that's always personal choice. If you feel the need to short-shift then do so.

I understand what you mean however. It would be nice if the game told us where peak bhp and the correct red line was for each car. It's an old game however so they probably didn't even think about it. In rFactor you can see these figures in the cars set up screen.

#3 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Aug 30 2015 - 01:49 PM

I only short shift if i'm looking for grip. Otherwise I shift the Lotus at 9000rpm. The real DFV is suppose to have a 9200-9400rpm limit, but in GPL that will blow the engine in a long race.

#4 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted Aug 30 2015 - 01:58 PM

And obviously, the DFV changed over the years, to have a higher RPM.  I think the 67 version could only rev to 9000 - correct me if I'm wrong.  Normally, I do only shift at 9000, but with the Ring, there are occasions where I feel I have to short shift, otherwise it would mean I am flogging the car at 9000 in (say) 2nd gear for a few seconds.  Am I correct in short shifting earlier so I don't stay at the max revs for a few seconds?

#5 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,406 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Aug 30 2015 - 02:05 PM

Horsepower and torque graphs /car are available thru GEM+ in Setup Manager and in Race Engineer and iirc Setup Assistant 65.
SA65 provides a very nice optimum gearing routine for specific top end target.

RN, lengthen second and shorten third, just a bit?
Short shift into third as early as possible but do not allow RPMs to fall off below 6500 in 67Lotus.
Always stay in the highest possible gear and shift the least number of times possible.

Just my opinion, questons and guesses.

Edited by John Woods, Aug 30 2015 - 02:10 PM.

#6 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted Aug 30 2015 - 02:10 PM

Thanks John, I may well do that. I'm using a Chris Moses setup, which is beautiful.  IMO, the Lotus has the best chassis - it's just the massive power that makes it tricky to drive - but this setup is lovely.  So gently responsive to turn-braking (or whatever it's called). :)

#7 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts

Posted Aug 30 2015 - 03:10 PM

I was talking about the 67 DFV Ronnie. I wasn't sure if it was 9200rpm, or 9400rpm? I'm thinking it was 9200rpm. I know it was more than 9000rpm.

I got that from David Wright. The guru of facts.

#8 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts

Posted Aug 30 2015 - 03:16 PM

View PostRonnie Nilsson, on Aug 30 2015 - 02:10 PM, said:

Thanks John, I may well do that. I'm using a Chris Moses setup, which is beautiful.  IMO, the Lotus has the best chassis - it's just the massive power that makes it tricky to drive - but this setup is lovely.  So gently responsive to turn-braking (or whatever it's called). :)

Of course it will be solid on turn in. They have 85/30/6 diff settings. Very stable, but don't turn well. Too much understeer.

Keep in mind short shifting is only an advantage when fighting for grip. Otherwise, redline every gear for the fastest times. Watch the aliens replays. The AI never short shift.

#9 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,406 posts

Posted Aug 30 2015 - 05:55 PM

Very sure brr confirmed using science of graphing things that the GPL 67Lotus optimum shift point is 9200rpm.

Guessing we could argue there are two shifting modes: 1) hotlapping for best single lap time, and 2), cruising along holding postion, on pace with the field and making sure you finish the race.

Edited by John Woods, Aug 30 2015 - 05:57 PM.

#10 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts

Posted Aug 30 2015 - 08:11 PM

Hot lappers speedshift, and bring the rpm way up.

#11 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,824 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Aug 31 2015 - 01:02 AM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Aug 30 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

Hot lappers speedshift, and bring the rpm way up.
Not all. I can't stand speedshifting, it sounds so unrealistic. I never do it, even if I'm trying for a good time.

#12 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts

Posted Aug 31 2015 - 08:12 AM

I was talking about the ones that do it. Not many do it in races, and get away with it for long. So, I call it a hot lappers method.

#13 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted Aug 31 2015 - 09:07 AM

I've lengthened 2nd and 3rd by a notch, and I'm red-lining it more. :)

#14 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,406 posts

Posted Aug 31 2015 - 09:56 AM

View PostRonnie Nilsson, on Aug 31 2015 - 09:07 AM, said:

I've lengthened 2nd and 3rd by a notch, and I'm red-lining it more. :)

Just being clear, my suggestion was to bring 2nd and 3rd closer together.
From the original description, it seems 2nd is running out of engine too early, forcing a shift to 3rd just before braking, thus the question about short shifting.
So, lengthen 2nd, if possible even enough to stay in for the whole run, or shorten 3rd to allow an earlier upshift that remains in the 90 to100 percent power range,  or shorten 3rd, and maybe 2nd also, and take the straight in 3rd.
At the Ring, the only time top gear is required is on the long straight, so there can be a wider gap between 4th and 5th and lower gears can be closer together.

Edited by John Woods, Aug 31 2015 - 09:57 AM.

#15 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,441 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Aug 31 2015 - 09:57 AM

Sorry for been a heathen here. Don't know how to explain this and wether its relevant but here goes.
Firstly when changing up a gear how far away can you be from the redline in that particular gear and still achieve a smooth change without lifting off throttle. I believe if you change too quickly without lifting off you can damage engine as well as going too far into redline for a long period?
I say this and this is the bit that maybe not relevant but in a modern F1 racing sim with modern gearbox and flip gear change on steer wheel I read a bit about this games set up tips. Sorry forgot game title.
But the basic statement if I remember was obviously set your top gear so you hit top end of that on the longest straight before corner. Also when going through gears it is better to not change right at top by redline but a fraction or so before as hitting powerband bang on Will give you bigger drop off especially going to next gear. In other words you can keep a smooth momentum and optimize your speed,performance and track time?

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Aug 31 2015 - 10:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links