Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 17 2018 - 11:00 AM

I was searching for some infos at GPLRank and was checking 65s times...

Strange 8:01 for 65s Fastest laptimes at Nürburgring!

I made a back to back comparison 65GPLV2rank and was faster only at East London (the only 65 track...)
so I investigated more and found the guy had same times at 67s for the whole rank!!!

What is it cheating or an upload error, who can verify those values?

What makes me angry is that the real fast times by e.g. Steve Cloyd at papy tracks are not visible!

Edited by Cookie, Apr 17 2018 - 11:15 AM.

#2 quico

quico

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:GPL & GTL

Posted Apr 17 2018 - 11:05 AM

If you see the chasis for that time, is a Lotus, not a Lotus(65), so there are a mistake in the upload of times but not seems to be cheating :) .

#3 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted Apr 17 2018 - 11:18 AM

If so the guy should use the "self service" to correct such errors!!!

NO!

1 1:19.762 xxx F1 Brabham BT11 (65) Training 2018-02-11 22:49:29 FF-Wheel Left Foot H-stick with clutch

Edited by Cookie, Apr 17 2018 - 11:21 AM.

#4 Reco21

Reco21

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Races online, F1

Posted Apr 17 2018 - 04:14 PM

I recently saw a replay of a world record, Mosport with the F1 65, chassis BRM, in which it is seen that in the long straight, it takes suction of another car, and I understand the fast laps have to be without any external help, that lap is no longer a world record, but in the registry it appears as valid.

#5 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted Apr 17 2018 - 04:30 PM

1:23.794  Blood is a valid WR there is no other car on the track! I just watched it...

#6 Reco21

Reco21

John Surtees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Races online, F1

Posted Apr 17 2018 - 06:14 PM

Look at the second one, the record 1:23.893. I do not know if I'm exaggerating but I think that in that brief time he was able to gain top speed behind a Honda. Able that I am wrong.

#7 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted Apr 18 2018 - 03:26 AM

If there would be one or two false entries I would believe it is a mistake when uploading, but the whole set of cars ....

IMO this guy has to be banned!

#8 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 529 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Apr 18 2018 - 06:01 AM

I'm pretty sure it's an honest mistake Axel. Maybe someone can contact him.

#9 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,814 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Apr 18 2018 - 12:27 PM

Cookie, please don't get so worked up about a few laptimes on GPLRank. Ok, so I understand that it seems like someone has been either "cheating", or at least they've been a bit careless with the way they've uploaded their lap times. But you need to remember a couple of things:

(1) GPLRank has been running for many years now. There are bound to be a lot of errors in the collective database. Sometimes things just go wrong and people either don't notice the errors, or they don't have time to track down the problem and fix it.

(2) GPLRank is administered purely by unpaid volunteers who give up their own personal time to keep things running. They don't have time to monitor everything that goes on, and they don't have time to verify every laptime that is uploaded to GPLRank. For example, I once thought that I had a record laptime at Nurburgring, so I uploaded the replay. It was only after an admin had watched the replay that I realised that I had taken a questionable line through Hohe Acht and I actually went off the track. I felt guilty afterwards because I should have checked it myself.

(3) There are some people who think that cheating is "fun", because it gets them to the top of the listings. But most real GPL fans and drivers can tell if a lap time is fake, so we can ignore it and give credit to the drivers who have driven real laps. Silly people who upload lap times which are obviously wrong can easily be ignored.

(4) You have to accept that human beings are fallible. Nothing is ever perfect, and that includes GPLRank. But it's still a really, really good resource that enables honest drivers to compare themselves to their peers. And personally, I love it.

Thanks to all the admins who keep GPLRank running. :thumbup: :wave:

(Edit: I was recently doing some testing with my laptime listing utility, and I set up some test laptimes at the Killarney track. I thought I had kept my test files separate from my actual GPL lap times. But somehow I accidentally uploaded the files to GPLRank. Consequently, I now have a load of lap times at Killarney which are about 8 or 9 minutes long! A silly mistake, but at least I'm not going to "steal" anyone else's world record! :D)

Edited by Saiph, Apr 18 2018 - 12:33 PM.

#10 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted Apr 19 2018 - 04:01 AM

Saiph, I have a big respect for the people running GPLRank and all GPL related things!

But who are they? sending mails fails...

I do host online races several times a week, so I use the rank very often to set a server with the right race length,
Sometimes I just need a SC setup to look what he makes different.
A comparison of car strength on a certain track is also helpfull for handicps in league races planing.

Now I find all times of the 65s rank tracks are corrupted by a careless guy, and he seems not willing to repair it yet!

#11 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,753 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Apr 20 2018 - 06:47 AM

Ed Hut is the guy that manage GPL rank
Urban aka Dr Tooth helps him by providing all the necessary info about new mods on the pipeline to be added to the rank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links