- - - - -

Windows 10 1803 (May 2018 Creator's Update)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 11 2018 - 12:38 PM

Hi there guys.

So,  as many of you might know, Microsoft rolled the May Creators Update, aka Windows 10.1803.

Before installing the update everything worked fine, no problems, even with the AMD drivers updated (v.18.4). I've installed the 1803 update and GPL went limp: D3DV2 didn't work at all and OGLV2 was buggy as all hell. After re-installing the drivers (AMD 18.4.1) and the DirectX Redistributables, the situation is this after disabling all the GEM+ patches but Pribluda and GPLShift:

- D3DV2: NOT WORKING AT ALL. It shows the menus alright, but the 3D rendering crashes everything, goes back to desktop. No error messages shown.
- OGLV2: BUGGY. The menus do work well upon starting, it takes around 10 seconds to get to the 3D environment. Driving is fine, no stutters, although sometimes (after a SHIFT-R) sound goes like a farm truck (that "brrat-tat-tat-tat" sound clearly states the audio buffer has gone nuts). When going back to the menus, the rendering freezes on a zoomed portion of the screen (the top-right side of the race TV in the menu), but after some seconds of still image and working audio, everything is fine again.

I'm trying to see what goes on with the additional patches, I'll update the post soon.

EDIT: Even after applying the pitstop patch, No letterbox, head movement and Pressure bug fix, the result is still the same. When not using GPLShift, the loading times are drastically reduced, but the situation essentially doesn't change.

Edited by Lord, May 11 2018 - 01:29 PM.

#2 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,426 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 11 2018 - 01:42 PM

Lord just roll back and do what I did: stop Windows 10 from updating at all!

This software has many tweaks and settings, and I recommend it. Its free and safe

https://winaero.com/...mment.news.1836

I love Windows 10 but I got tired of this "beta testing" experience. I am good with my actual version and I'll keep it. When there'll be a future one, stable and with features I like, I'll update. Until then, Windows Updater is blocked :D

#3 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor

Posted May 11 2018 - 02:34 PM

Just reverted to version 1709, most of my programs didn't work AT ALL under 1803: such a rushed update...

#4 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted May 14 2018 - 01:46 AM

View Postleon_90, on May 11 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

Lord just roll back and do what I did: stop Windows 10 from updating at all!

This software has many tweaks and settings, and I recommend it. Its free and safe

https://winaero.com/...mment.news.1836

I love Windows 10 but I got tired of this "beta testing" experience. I am good with my actual version and I'll keep it. When there'll be a future one, stable and with features I like, I'll update. Until then, Windows Updater is blocked :D

Wow guys, I am seriously concerned that Win10 updates are possibly going to interfere with my biggest pastime on my PC. :(

Leon, I've recently installed the Winaero Tweaker to see if this helps me regain control of my machine from Microsoft. But it seems almost too simple! I used the easy unzip version, not the Windows installer, and then set up a shortcut to run it. I started the Tweaker, and looked through all the settings. And there's just one checkbox which claims to stop the whole Windows Update process. You just set the checkbox, there isn't even any "Apply Settings" or "Confirm" button! Is it really that simple? Does that really stop Windows Update? Does it work reliably? I've set the checkbox and then exited the program and it doesn't seem to have made any detectable difference.

The information on the Tweaker website isn't very clear or comprehensive. In fact, reading through some of the comments that users have posted, it seems that for some options you need to have the Tweaker running in the background, started when Windows 10 starts up, via the "Start-up" group. Is this necessary for the Windows Update setting? Or is it ok to just check the box and exit?

(Edit: As I was typing the previous two paragraphs, I just remembered to check the services which are running on my machine. And after starting "services.msc", the displayed list seems to show that YES the "Windows Update" service is disabled and not running, even without the Tweaker running in the background! So perhaps it really is that easy! :D Also, I have set a restore point just in case Microsoft finds a way to force the update, and I have to roll back. I think updates should set their own restore point anyway, but I don't want to leave anything to chance.)

Thanks in advance for your help, and thanks for letting us know about this utility. :thumbup:

Edited by Saiph, May 14 2018 - 01:54 AM.

#5 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,838 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted May 14 2018 - 02:19 AM

P.S. I think it would be very useful if GPL drivers could post here about their experiences with the 1803 update, if they allow it to go ahead. It doesn't seem to have hit the UK yet. I would really like to hear if anyone who has had the update can get GPL to run ok afterwards, and if they had to take any corrective action to allow GPL to run.

#6 Jackseller

Jackseller

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Computer stuff

Posted May 14 2018 - 05:45 AM

Yes, this windows update has broken direct3D mode.
I have done many tests with different patched or not patched gpl.exe.
It doesn't work with direct3D v1, neither with direct3D v2. Except if you use GPL native resolution (640x480).

But it seems to be ok with OpenGL.

About Winaero, it's a very good tweaker. I use it for years.

#7 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted May 14 2018 - 06:00 AM

I have updated to 1803.  I use opengl with an nvidia card.

So far it seems ok as far as I can tell (GPL that is not W10).

#8 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted May 14 2018 - 07:38 AM

I also installed 1803 yesterday after seeing this thread. I use OGL with Nvidia card and so far see no difference in how GPL runs. I also have auto updates activated with Windows but it never updates my drivers.

I do use Win 10 Pro if that makes any difference.

Edited by Pete Gaimari, May 14 2018 - 07:38 AM.

#9 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted May 14 2018 - 08:56 AM

Same here. 1803 for a week, OGL and Nvidia. No problems so far.

#10 leon_90

leon_90

Lorenzo Bandini

• Members
  • 1,426 posts
  • Interests:everything that has a Ferrari V12 inside
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 14 2018 - 12:22 PM

Saiph WinAero is a very very simple tool, thats why I like it :) not all changes need a reboot, and yes you just need to tick a checkbox 90% of the time :D
I use the installer version, and I'm glad you are happy with it. As I said, it has lots of cool features!

#11 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted May 14 2018 - 02:26 PM

Same here. 1803 update, OGL and Nvidia.geForce650GTX, had a brief scare, after racing Saturday w/out issue, Sunday i couldn't launch thru GEM, or Multiplayer. Did a reboot and it was good. So no problems since.

one probable unrelated issue.. when joining a server with 60fps patch, it takes between 5 and 20 attempts as i keep getting 'timed out'... and its my own server!

#12 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted May 14 2018 - 03:21 PM

No problems here joining your server Bo...

Do you have allowed the GPLc67.exe to connect to the i-net in your firewall?

Have you changed any settings in the Core.ini ? Try to replace it with another standard one...

#13 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted May 14 2018 - 08:30 PM

thanks Axel.... but doesn't the gplC67 get changed to GPL on launching "GPL"?
ok.. i found GPLc67 and there are 2 methods shown on FIREWALL settings.. one is Public the other PRIVATE

my check box is on PUBLIC
strange tho, all the other GPLx (55, 69, SC etc) are set on PRIVATE  ?? why ?

was able to switch (checked both boxes) but didn't seem to make a difference.
same for iGor ... private or public (on my race PC) ??

as for core.ini settings, not sure which or to what i would change:P

#14 roberto teso

roberto teso

Subtitled

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Shoestrings theory

Posted May 14 2018 - 10:49 PM

Windows 10 pro x64 here with spring update installed (april 30) and thuesday patch (may 8), actual so build is 17134.48, Intel i7 6700k, nvidia GTX 1080 with latest driver 397.64 on a 55" Samsung 4K HDR TV in game mode @60Hz.

Marvelous with Assetto and other modern games, GPL don't allow me 4K res so is set to 1920x1080, run very well with OGLV2, no trouble so far.

With D3DV2 the screen don't scale so, it function but it cover the top left quarter of the screen, probably I have to check better...

#15 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,028 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted May 15 2018 - 07:38 AM

but doesn't the gplC67 get changed to GPL on launching "GPL"? - NO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users