• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Music & Guitar playing
    Hockey, golf, F1 & downhill skiing
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Aug 16 2017 - 01:19 PM

One thing that didn't happen in my quite long life so far is to see a F1 race live. So now I've decided and will go to Monza this year.

Anyone here that has been there? Guess so. Any experience that can make my days there even better is welcome. I bought that kind of "general admission" ticket (Prato). Anyone being using that one? It seems perfect to me as I like to check out different views and will do a lot of photographing.

I'm very excited and will visit the track all four possible days.

#2 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Supporter
  • 762 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 17 2017 - 03:30 AM

I've never been there when there's a race on but I went through a hole in the fence through the woods because I wanted to look at the old banking.

Found this odd concrete structure with columns and bracing, looked at the top and saw some rusty armco and realised that I was actually under the old banked track. Found a tree that had fallen against the track, balanced up it and was able to walk around most of the old track.

Amazing and a bit spooky, if you're allowed on it on a race day it's well worth a look.

#3 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Aug 17 2017 - 03:07 PM

I get what you mean by 'spooky' :).

You know you can drive the old banking if you get 67GT Sports Mod and realted tracks? There you race Monza as kind of double laps, as the oval is adapted into the ordinary track. It's a bit bumpy in full speed on those concrete bankings. They're also documented in the Frankenheimer movie Grand Prix from 1966.

#4 Fat Rich

Fat Rich

Lazy Blipper

• Supporter
  • 762 posts
  • Interests:GPL has got me by the throat and won't let go.

Posted Aug 17 2017 - 03:49 PM

One of my favouriite tracks in GPL :)

You won't believe how steep it is in real life, astonishing to think of primitive racing cars going flat out around it.

#5 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Aug 17 2017 - 04:08 PM

Take some company.
PS: Can you fit me in the suitcase 😊

TP:

#6 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Aug 17 2017 - 04:21 PM

Wish I could Dick but the combination of camping gear and else and a Mazda MX5 leaves no more space than a toothbrush ;).

#7 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,341 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Aug 17 2017 - 05:08 PM

I guess I'll have to settle for Cadwell 😊

Have you seen these links:

http://f1destination...-f1-grand-prix/

http://www.thef1spec...x-travel-guide/

http://www.f1fanatic...le-monza-italy/

http://www.enterf1.c...to-sit-at-monza

http://www.packingmy...-prix-in-monza/

TP: 😊

#8 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,747 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Aug 17 2017 - 07:21 PM

My Dad was part of the allied forces which invaded/liberated Italy during WW2. Landed in Sicily. Took part in Anzio landings. Was at Monte Cassino (so sad it was destroyed :-(  ) He remembered driving around Monza in a jeep!

#9 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Aug 18 2017 - 03:38 AM

Thank's for those links twinpotter. Just browsed them so far but it seems to be a lot of interesting things to a first visitor. And if anyone of you visited during a race it would be fun to be able to put out some questions.

I just runned several Monza laps in Historical 67, 69X and 67GT at the track. To me it's a special track I favorised already as a young teenager. Me and my friends build a 20 meters miniracing track of Monza (with the oval included). In those days death accidents in F1 was very common but to see our idol Ronnie Peterson crash in the first chikane in the race of 1978 was a moment I never forget. Ronnie was by far the best swedish driver ever and just 32 years old when he died. A swedish movie about him is going up at theathers in Sweden today.

BTW, I saw the Bruce McLaren movie yesterday. A lot of historical clips from the 60ties in that one. I recommend!

Edited by MickeK, Aug 18 2017 - 03:40 AM.

#10 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,341 posts
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Aug 18 2017 - 05:43 AM

No probs Mickek. Just glad I could help. Have a great weekend when it happens.
Thanks also for the info on the Ronnie Peterson movie. Never knew about that. Another for the motorsport film directory. There are some preview trailer clips on You tube about this film.

TP: 😊

#11 Gui

Gui

80's Motorsports Fan

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:The world
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Aug 18 2017 - 10:32 AM

First of all, if you can, I recommend driving around the park area a few days before. Traffic gets redirected and if you know how to navigate around, you can find free parking very close to the park's entrance. You can walk around the track and portions of the old oval. Inside there's no getting around walking a lot. I don't know where you can stay with general attendance but you can probably get a decent view of Ascari. Just make your way to the finish line before the end of the race so you can enter the track and beat the crowd to get a very close view to the podium.

#12 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 714 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Aug 18 2017 - 03:37 PM

Having just been there, I've to say the best thing was the ice cream. So if you get in via train and walk to the park grab some on the way.

#13 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Aug 19 2017 - 03:52 AM

First of all I will stay at a camping site 30 km north of the track. As the camping at Monza was full I could choose between the nature camping in the north by a lake or a camping west of Milano. Also 30 km to the track. Therefore I will arrive with my car.

It's not possible for me to drive around and check some day before and I prefer not to have to search for free parking in that vaste area without any knowledge about the surroundings and in time pressure. Therefore I'm willing to pay 15 Euro/day to get an official public parking with bus shuttle to the track included. Seems to be the relaxed way to get there.

My Prato ticket says:

"Prato tickets are only valid to access the designated areas around the circuit. It is possible to chose amongst several zones: the inner part of Curva Biassono, the section of the Lesmo turns, Seconda Variante, Curva del Serraglio, Ascari and Parabolica. Prato areas are located around the circuit in several zones where you may also find bleachers, like at the Lesmo section.

These tickets are extremely popular due to their price and proximity to the track. The fans offer a magical atmosphere ad they all rush down to watch the podium ceremony. At this stage you can decide whether to stay seated or storm down onto the track and the join the aficionados to watch the podium ceremony up close."

To me it seems like I have a bunch of options to find decent spots around the track and many different motives to photograph. If anyone here should have a personal experience with a Prado ticket I'm very curious.

I will try the ice Michov ;)

Edited by MickeK, Aug 19 2017 - 06:39 AM.

#14 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Sep 01 2017 - 02:21 AM

Sitting in my tent hoping for the compact rain will end.

Was at the thursday event yesterday (in more or less tropical dump weather).

I lined up for the pit lane walk and wisely followed the advice from a young italian fan next to me. Just stay put, he said. The late comers will suffer… At that time a decent que of some hundreds where there and it was around 2 hours before the gates to pits opened. As an experienced rock concert visitor (with a stubbard mind) I held my stand. The big advantage was that we could walk through the full pit without any problem and did get a good look of all the garages. Later the walking area was totally crowded and outside the Ferrari pit totally blocked. All the lae comers eager to see anything.

Anyway, the pits had prepared their appearances. Some of the cars was worked over by engineers. A lot of wings, extra car bodies etc. was exposed in front. And the Ferrari garage had a bit more of course :).

A couple of drivers (later was some assambled autograph session with all present drivers but skipped that seeing the crowd in the pit lane) was in garages. I saw Kimi, Hülkenberg and got a nice close up of Palmer instead of an autograph (some of them did autograph writing at the pits). Anyway, my experience of the pit walk was far better than it was for those who didn’t line up 2 hours before – if you ever will be in this situation you should follow the advice to que for 2 hours :).

The atmosphere as such is great and I have to mention that an icon like Alonso suddenly sat at a bench right in front of me with some friends. Glad to see that people gave him the respect of NOT (surprisingly enough) hustle him with getting close and taking selfies. Had some bad luck there as I just had trouble with the big sausage sandwish and dripping mustard. Had no chance of even touch my camera to get a nice pic. When I finally could wash my hands he was gone…

Bad news today is that compact rain all day is expected. As I drove for 14 hours wed-thu I had to take an extra nap today and will miss the first training session. Will drive my 30km for the second 14.00 and hope the rain stops. To me an extra obsticle as I use a big lens and exposing a camera in heavy rain (and everything else you need) is a bit of a pain…

Was also informed (my italian friend from the que) that on race day you better take your stand around 8.00am if you aim for the better ones. Today is not a problem I guess, not that many will go for training sessions in rain. Tomorrow it might be some bad weather as well, but probably a bit more people. Racing day will be sunny so I better get up around 05.00am in the tent that morning to plan for a as-perfect-as-possible-experience.

Shot some photos yesterday. Was walking around the different sections and the old banking. Would pass some here if I could but pics are in RAW-format right now and not light enough for web-use. Perhaps when I get home.

Turned out to be some dairy here (hope you don’t mind) but it was easy enough, sitting in a chair in my tent with a macchiato beside and rain on the roof. Nice to have a un-stressed morning and slept well after those around 1200 km last day ;).

#15 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,693 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 01 2017 - 02:45 AM

Thx for the nice read Michek. :thumbup:
Cool that you can get so close to the F1 drivers. I really liked the story about Alonso. I didn`t expect that you can meet a driver coincidentally on a bench right in front of you. Well, I guess you didn`t either. :D

I will be thinking of you when I will watch the race on TV. :)

Edited by Stefan Roess, Sep 01 2017 - 05:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links