- - - - -

1967 Sportscar Extra Mod Zraced Yesterday.

GPL forever.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Pawgy

Pawgy

Pawgy

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Sim racing, WW2 flying and real Golf
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 31 2019 - 09:12 AM

I know this may be an old subject but I always get excited about GPL releases. And I understsnd that these GPl mods are not to the standards of many of the new games but i always get such a kick out of a good race in GPL. Still giong strong after almost 20 years. It will never leave my hard drive. BTW, i am coming up tp my 84th birthay. Anybody else in my age bracket that still enjoys computr racing?

#2 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 858 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography. Assetto Corsa

Posted Jan 31 2019 - 09:45 AM

I'm 86, have not been on track lately, but plan to get back in a week or two.  I check in on srmz daily

:dino:

#3 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  • Interests:Unknown
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Jan 31 2019 - 10:13 AM

I'm 28 but my granddad is turning 80 this year. Unfortunately he thinks of computers as a nuisance and is unable to understand or use a smart phone. I should set up a meeting between him and you! Maybe you can show him how it's done :) .

#4 albergman

albergman

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:GPL photography windsurfing sailing

Posted Jan 31 2019 - 10:26 AM

Nice to see there are some other "geezers" out there still enjoying GPL.   I'm now 80 and still love hot-lapping (now there's a misnomer!)  especially in the '55 cars.   For those of ilk they were the cars and heroes of our youth.   Some of you may have seen my scratch-built models of the Lancia D50 and the Maserati 250F ... that's how much I care about this mod especially!

Thanks once again to all the developers who give us so much pleasure.   Now, Jim ...  about that new Isle of Man ... before some of us get too old to enjoy it!

Frank

#5 simmer

simmer

simmer

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:sim racing photography

Posted Jan 31 2019 - 01:54 PM

81 Still loving GPL

#6 Pedro

Pedro

Pedro

• Supporter
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Grand Prix Legends
    Scuba-diving
    Airplanes
    Life

Posted Jan 31 2019 - 02:47 PM

View Postalbergman, on Jan 31 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

Now, Jim ...  about that new Isle of Man ... before some of us get too old to enjoy it!

:roflmao:

#7 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Jan 31 2019 - 03:09 PM

You guys are dinosaurs, respect! :)

#8 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

oAo Admin

• Administrators
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:racing... baseball...military history... reading too much to specify everything :)

Posted Jan 31 2019 - 07:04 PM

thanks for posting! i thought i was 'old' compared to so many of the 'kids'.. at 71, you guys made me feel much younger and now at least another 10 years of GPL! :)

#9 bbbryan

bbbryan

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Jan 31 2019 - 10:12 PM

My Dad is 92 and still enjoys GPL and still regularly checks SRMZ.

#10 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 209 posts

Posted Feb 01 2019 - 03:42 AM

62 years here, and still enthusiastic and in love with this "encyclopedia of motor sport" which is GPL. That, besides immersing me in the details of the tracks and cars of my heroes allowed me and allows me to make friends : Arturo, Bruce, Michi, Bob, Enrique and many more (some of them I had the good fortune to know personally).

#11 andpan

andpan

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:my air-cooled 911s, golf, skiing

Posted Feb 01 2019 - 08:41 AM

👍👍👍

#12 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Music

Posted Feb 02 2019 - 09:59 AM

29 and I hope to still be driving when I get to the ages in this thread :)

#13 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 877 posts
  • Interests:Check out my channel for some nice GPL content :)

Posted Feb 02 2019 - 04:23 PM

23 here, no plans of quitting any time soon :)

Edited by GrandPrixYannick , Feb 02 2019 - 04:24 PM.

#14 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • 858 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography. Assetto Corsa

Posted Feb 04 2019 - 07:25 AM

I follow Yannick with great interest - remember your first post, with another log-in name.  Wonderful to see you mature from a 'crash artist' into one of GPL's keenest drivers ( no offence to all the other keen people !

:dino:

#15 Pawgy

Pawgy

Pawgy

• Supporter
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Sim racing, WW2 flying and real Golf

Posted Feb 06 2019 - 08:50 AM

What wonderful replies. Looks like we still have a few older fellows following GPL.  Lets keep it up fro many more years. My wife of 64 years still chuckles when I sit until my eyes get too tired to watch the screen and I am forced to quit for the day.  
Regards to all.
Pawgy

#16 JMF

JMF

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:GPL, gardening, woodworking, classic rock, modern blues, jazz-rock fusion, and sex.

Posted Feb 06 2019 - 10:42 AM

View PostTvO, on Jan 31 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

I'm 28 but my granddad is turning 80 this year. Unfortunately he thinks of computers as a nuisance and is unable to understand or use a smart phone. I should set up a meeting between him and you! Maybe you can show him how it's done :) .

I'm glad there's still people like granddad. :) I'm glad I can still get pleasure from simple things like a walk in the woods or tending the garden.

Tom, you're one the first people that made me think about my age while driving GPL. At 50, I can no longer hold myself near the limit for long periods of time. One of my early online races I qualified the Cooper in front of your Ferrari at Clermont. I was able to hold you off for two laps but I knew I was going to struggle to do it an entire race. I spun on lap 3 or 4, giving you the lead. My thought that day was, "If I were your age, you'd have never got by me." :)

It's interesting how many old guys drive GPL. Maybe I'll be one too someday. Although I do feel kind of old. I hate to think how I'll feel in another 10 years. I recently had to lay under my car for a few minutes before I could try to crawl out.

One reason I don't drive the smaller displacement cars much is I'm waiting for my reflexes and strength to decline more. I'm saving them for the day that my body requires that I drive something easier.

My physical abilities started declining noticeably at 35. As a carpenter, I began having problems with injuring muscles doing things that had never been a problem before. I started taking longer to recover from injuries. And I noticed when I played my racing games, I could no longer hold myself at the absolute limit for long periods of time. I wish I had got into GPL sooner. In my 20s and early 30s, I would have been a better racer. I don't think I would qualify much faster than I can now, but I do think I could have run faster races.

I'm glad we've got the old guys and the young guys driving GPL. Especially the young guys, since they may be around to keep GPL going for many more years.

#17 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,517 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Feb 06 2019 - 12:53 PM

54 and still springy enough, to do full AI racing. When I final retire, from the millstone of work, I hope my vitality will still be there, and that I can commit more time to my passion and fave racing sim.

Are there any Females about, that are racing, AI or online. Just to promote equality of the sexes 😁😁

TP:

Edited by twinpotter, Feb 06 2019 - 12:54 PM.

#18 snebka

snebka

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Lot of sports, mainly F1 (most the era 1950-1980), Geography, playing games ...

Posted Feb 06 2019 - 01:40 PM

I think ( and not in bad way!) that Grand Prix Legends community may have the oldest average age community of all games! :) (and i probably little spoiling this with my age of 23 :D )

#19 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  • Interests:Unknown
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Feb 06 2019 - 01:42 PM

View PostJMF, on Feb 06 2019 - 10:42 AM, said:

I'm glad there's still people like granddad. :) I'm glad I can still get pleasure from simple things like a walk in the woods or tending the garden.

Tom, you're one the first people that made me think about my age while driving GPL. At 50, I can no longer hold myself near the limit for long periods of time. One of my early online races I qualified the Cooper in front of your Ferrari at Clermont. I was able to hold you off for two laps but I knew I was going to struggle to do it an entire race. I spun on lap 3 or 4, giving you the lead. My thought that day was, "If I were your age, you'd have never got by me." :)

I remember that! You were so fast in the Cooper, and I was getting worried I might not be able to hang on, precisely at the point you made an error.

It might be true that age negatively affects concentration after a certain age, but for me the opposite has been true. As a 16 year old driving my first online GPL races my mind was constantly all over the place and I had to keep reminding myself I was racing actual people which race I did not want to ruin. When I was about to win my first race at Rouen in the 1969 mod, I nearly went straight on at Gresil because my mind wandered. GPL and racegames in general really taught me how to focus and improved my school results. It takes such a great deal of effort to focus for one hour straight and not make any big mistake. In essence it's also a training for your mind and it's pace. You just can't have a quali mindset and keep that kind of intensity up for an entire hour, you have to treat it like an endurance event. Save your car and your mental energy for when it matters, and try to find the fastest speed you feel comfortable with in the bits inbetween. And have the presence of mind to know in the heat of the moment when to dial it back a notch :) . You have to let the race come to you otherwise you'll be the tortoise chasing the hare.

Tommie

#20 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."

Posted Feb 07 2019 - 02:34 AM

View PostTvO, on Feb 06 2019 - 01:42 PM, said:

I remember that!

43 here, addicted since 2003.

I always found it strange how I can't remember real life things and how clear memories I have from my GPL career. First lap, first online race and notable accidents for sure, but also pre-race chats and meeting new faces on the track.

Hats off to all granddads here.

One of my best races were Watkins Glen 1967 in 2011 where (then 74yo!) Allan Davis defeated me :)
http://freeleo.hu/we...s&race=20111208

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links