Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:Life
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 22 2018 - 07:38 AM

A belated thank you for this beautiful video and all the work the modding community does for the GPL community! :)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, Dec 22 2018 - 07:38 AM.

#42 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Dec 22 2018 - 09:53 AM

Oh wow cool, i didn't expect this!

Did somebody whisper Mugello…? ;)

What race is the #20 Chaparral 2F from? I can't seem to pinpoint it.
I only ask because the circular outline for the number appears a bit too think and the number itself appears to not be a black (bold) enough weight and is a bit too close to the outline, making it look awkward.
See:
http://www.sportscar...cars51/chap.jpg
https://c7.alamy.com...t-le-DH6RCA.jpg
https://mikehaywardc...-800x528fit.jpg
http://www.lemansdec...o-1965-n222.jpg

I had initially thought the same for the #20 Alfa T33 until i discovered pictures of the taped number, nice job! Font could be a little bit bolder weight but otherwise great :)
https://primotipo.fi...015/06/nurb.png
The font on the front should be squarer though:
https://primotipo.fi...015/06/33-8.jpg

From a quick look, Industry, medium weight looks close: https://www.fontspri...efby=identifont (enter 20 in the preview and increase the fontsize to get a suitable image of it). It says this font is from 2013 so it's obviously copying an older font, but i'm not an expert to know what it is copying! I'm guessing it's best to ask these questions on dedicated typography forums.

Do you have pictures of the driver name tags on the cars? I can't find any but the font you've used looks like arial which didn't exist at the time and stands out to me. I couldn't find any pictures of the actual name tags though in order to look for something a bit closer.

Anyway, it's looking really nice! Good work, I really didn't expect any mods coming soon :)

Thanks

#43 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,344 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Dec 22 2018 - 11:00 AM

The #20 Chaparral 2F is an online carskin.

The #20 Alfa T33 is the de Adamich car at the Nürburgring 1000km.  In practice this car had round white number bases all around, and was driven by all of the team drivers.  For the race, de Adamich drove it, with the front number on a square white base.

Attached File  1967 Nurburgring - de Adamich 2.jpg   34.7K   48 downloads  Attached File  1967 Nurburgring - de Adamich 3.jpg   150.39K   47 downloads

Edited by gliebzeit, Dec 22 2018 - 11:12 AM.

#44 Mc Wolf

Mc Wolf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted Dec 22 2018 - 01:40 PM

Fantastische Arbeit, sehr schönes Video !

Vielen Dank. Stefan ! ! !  :thankyou:

#45 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted Dec 22 2018 - 03:59 PM

I can't believe someone is already critiquing trivial details such as the car lettering before the mod is even released.

Sorry to show my old, grouchy side, but it's posts like these, even if innocent and intended to be helpful, are the reason some mod team members think that public mods are a waste of time.  :)

Edited by ginetto, Dec 23 2018 - 05:24 AM.
please chill :)

#46 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Dec 22 2018 - 04:46 PM

Sorry, i didn't mean to offend, i was only trying to help and was genuinely interested.
I realised there was  no way that it wouldn't come across badly so i was aprehensive to post.

I will refrain from discussing such trivial details in future, sorry.

#47 Gui

Gui

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:The world
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Dec 22 2018 - 06:15 PM

View PostLee200, on Dec 22 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

I can't believe someone is already critiquing trivial details such as the car lettering before the mod is even released.

Sorry to show my old, grouchy side, but it's posts like these, even if innocent and intended to be helpful, are the reason some mod team members think that public mods are a waste of time.  :)

Lee200, there's a difference from complaining to criticism to feedback to constructive criticism. .... As a mod maker and contributor, I welcome assistance especially when there are areas that can be improved. You know when it's the best time to catch things? Before release. That attitude is disadvantageous to the community and you should consider an apology.

Edit: There was some editing on a couple of posts by moderator. The exchange of this and previous posts may look odd now.

Edited by Gui, Dec 23 2018 - 09:39 PM.
please chill :)

#48 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 2,002 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Dec 22 2018 - 06:55 PM

View Postone2fwee, on Dec 22 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Sorry, i didn't mean to offend......
You didn't say anything offensive one2fwee.  :) :thumbup: :wave:

#49 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,638 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Dec 22 2018 - 08:47 PM

These movies keep getting better and better.
Thanks Stefan, really good one.

Eager Patience
:D

Edited by John Woods, Dec 23 2018 - 08:41 AM.

#50 FJBH10

FJBH10

FJBH10

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Motorsport Engineering

Posted Dec 23 2018 - 06:58 AM

Apologies if this has been explained already but how will the moveable wings on the Chaparral work? Will it be bound to the clutch axis in-game or will there be a new axis specifically for this function?

#51 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,638 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Dec 23 2018 - 07:31 AM

Alfa...yeah!

All other cars wish they were Alfas.
:P

:D

Edited by John Woods, Dec 23 2018 - 09:25 AM.

#52 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Unknown
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Dec 23 2018 - 08:00 AM

View PostFJBH10, on Dec 23 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

Apologies if this has been explained already but how will the moveable wings on the Chaparral work? Will it be bound to the clutch axis in-game or will there be a new axis specifically for this function?

It is assigned to the 'view pitboard' button so you can assign the clutch pedals  if you like :)

Edited by TvO, Dec 23 2018 - 08:01 AM.

#53 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted Dec 23 2018 - 08:04 AM

View Postone2fwee, on Dec 22 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Sorry, i didn't mean to offend, i was only trying to help and was genuinely interested.
I realised there was  no way that it wouldn't come across badly so i was aprehensive to post.

I will refrain from discussing such trivial details in future, sorry.

Thank you for your apology.  :)

#54 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:all kinds of racing games
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Dec 23 2018 - 04:29 PM

View Postone2fwee, on Dec 22 2018 - 09:53 AM, said:

From a quick look, Industry, medium weight looks close: https://www.fontspri...efby=identifont (enter 20 in the preview and increase the fontsize to get a suitable image of it). It says this font is from 2013 so it's obviously copying an older font, but i'm not an expert to know what it is copying! I'm guessing it's best to ask these questions on dedicated typography forums.

Do you have pictures of the driver name tags on the cars? I can't find any but the font you've used looks like arial which didn't exist at the time and stands out to me. I couldn't find any pictures of the actual name tags though in order to look for something a bit closer.
I believe for fewer words or numbers, using or finding fonts isn't necessary, and the result may not be close either. Much better and accurate way is to just draw those words and numbers on top of the reference images, which can be done easily with any graphic program that can draw path (it will be time consuming and requires some good reference images and manually correcting distortion for sure).

Edited by SV3000, Dec 23 2018 - 04:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links