ed76

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 06 2018 - 08:01 AM

other system:
12 teams of 3 drivers to have 2 servers and we add the times of the 2 best of the team to award 9 6 4 3 2 1 per team

for chassis if we redo the 11 races of 1967,
we have 3 drivers x 11 so 33 cars / teams,
just say that each team can use 5 (Lotus, Ferrari, Brabham, Cooper, Eagle) and 4 (honda , BRM)

#32 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 865 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."

Posted Jan 06 2018 - 10:32 AM

My thoughts.

Keeping in mind that we celebrate 20th anniversary of GPL release we should stick to 36fps and default tracks (spa instead of spa67, mosport instead of mosport wet). Still we should show what GPL has become over the years - 60fps, patches, Spa67.

So I'd suggest to have back to back races in two weeks in the same location (except Spa and Mosport), with different settings.

As for car choice what if we all drive the same type of car - always the winner car of the original 1967 event?

Week 1 - Kyalami, 36 fps, Cooper for all
Week 2 - Kyalami, 60 fps, free car choice (still you must use all cars at lease once throughout the season)

#33 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jan 06 2018 - 11:16 AM

View Posted76, on Jan 05 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

View Postfajanko, on Jan 05 2018 - 07:15 AM, said:

Weather for Mosport?
I do not agree to a system 9 6 4 3 2 1 if you have 35 registered most will finish with 0 and therefore they will not register

So do prequalification (best lap on 3 tracks?) And distribution on several servers
divisions 1, 2 ... etc. mod 67
or div 1 mod 67, div 2 mod F2 ...(or mod 65)

That's a general problem of the 1967 points scoring system, partially aliviated by reliability across the seasons and by taking finishing position as tie breakers. In the end points are just multipliers for special positions.

As for the second part see the reply to ed76s comment.

View PostJohn Woods, on Jan 05 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

It would be the Grand Prix Legends 2018 World Championship, which need not replicate any other.
The first race could be the 1998 birthday-publication date, (not sure when...sometime in September?).
That would offer time to organize properly and time to schedule/prepare?

Could feature global open to all regional time-zone qualifiers with heat race format?

September is a long time away right now, we could start early and have the grand finally in September. I feel like this is going to loose steam if left on the shelf that long.
What is everyones thought on gaps between races? I prefer 1 week and up.

View Posted76, on Jan 05 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

If you want a simple system:

- Individual races
- pre-qualification server 24 hours a day during the week preceding the race, the best 19 times are qualified.
- a driver can not reuse a car with which he has already participated in a race.

I like it especially the pre-qual method. Is it possible to keep track on who did what time on a server? Is there a tool or is looking at replays and manual handling required?
What I dont like is not allowing people to race, because they couldn't get one of the 19 quickest times in. If someone invests time to practice, they should be able to race. So split the field if necessary.
Combining the field again is tricky, I'm torn between awarding 1/n points for the nth server or combining the run times. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

#34 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,394 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Jan 06 2018 - 11:57 AM

The time for planning was last year.

However, organization equals implementation, so anything is possible.

Probably the major problem altogether is time conflicts with events that are already scheduled.
This could be overcome by designating already scheduled events to also be Cup qualifiers?

For sure the idea of a Cup Week to celebrate the birthday of Grand Prix Legends was based on having enough time to schedule a series of global open-to-all time-zone-specific regional qualifiers leading up to a regional championship with the top finishers advancing to semi-finals, if required, and then Cup Week and The 2018 Grand Prix Legends World Cup Championship.

Any way, get it done and its over. Time to party!

"Practicable" means do something you can accomplish.

KISS

:D

Edited by John Woods, Jan 07 2018 - 09:17 AM.

#35 Lalethor

Lalethor

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 267 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jan 06 2018 - 12:04 PM

View PostJohn Woods, on Jan 06 2018 - 11:57 AM, said:

The time for planning was last year.

Sure it's not simple to plan the race calendar in short time, but..
maybe is possible to plan now for next year..
Mr Grand Prix Legends don't angry for one year late :D :D

#36 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,394 posts

Posted Jan 07 2018 - 01:28 PM

Only here because it seems a really good excuse to have fun.

Only a few months of patient anticipation?

GPL Cup Week could take one week and be done, (similar to a "real" event).

All qualifying races start at same local time, (guessing for instance 8:30 PM or as determined by sanctioning committee).

How much more is involved in this than server time/space and setting it up?

Lets see...they broke ground on Road America in the Spring and held SCCA Nationals in September?
How much more difficult can this be?

Party party.

Edited by John Woods, Jan 07 2018 - 02:10 PM.

#37 skx

skx

Jimmy Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:mecanics

Posted Jan 08 2018 - 11:58 AM

Hi drivers :)

I honestly think it should be more powerful, in order to reach this amazing idea of organizing a such World Cup, if only few of us talk and work together about the "best" rules and schedule.
It is great to share our ideas, but in my opinion this kind of discussion through a forum will lead to confused comment :hmm:

From now on, maybe each country can "elect" only one person to take place in the "organization committee" that will be the only one allowed to define the WC rules.
If this committee is composed of one "manager" from each country, each of them will be the spokesperson for the drivers of its country.
As soon as this committee has been defined, while the rules will being discussed, it will also be able to first let us know about an approximation of how many drivers should fine to form a team. Then, each country will have X weeks to propose a list of potentials motivated drivers :rolleyes:

Well, this is only my personal point of view to have an efficient organization...

Best !
ToM

#38 jonny'o

jonny'o

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted Jan 08 2018 - 01:52 PM

Ok Tom  :up: , so I speak on behalf of GPLBrasil

#39 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,394 posts

Posted Jan 08 2018 - 03:09 PM

Like the most open format of an individual championship.

Its all about the event.
Anyone who participates is a winner.

As I now recently understand, all this rigamarole about national teams goes back to the beginnings of autoracing and well before. It all revolved around sporting arrogance, and sadly, way too often the valor of sacrifice. Those who put up the purse made the rules and did not ask anyone else what they should be.

Not so sure that accurately reflects the sense of those who now enjoy Grand Prix Legends. There seems no reason of necessity to go there and it maybe complicates things more than it helps.

Like idea of using the 1.3 67 cars...for livestream and YT posterity, could they have individual liveries?
(Not sure how that works).
Does everyone have all GPLCD tracks?
If they do, agree that using them would for sure be appropriate.

What if just four tracks over four days?
Spa67
Monza10K
Watkins Glen
Clermont

Note the celebration and the party could be in respect of Grand Prix Legends as it is today.

Interested srmz members may request of an admin to set up an invitation only private forum btw.

Apologies for bighead grammar.

Edited by John Woods, Jan 08 2018 - 04:00 PM.

#40 Lord

Lord

Mr. Broken Gearbox

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1, Football (Soccer), Grand Prix Legends and rFactor

Posted Jan 08 2018 - 04:39 PM

To be honest, I'd set up this way: a mix of heats and 1-set races.

1 - "INTERNAL QUALIFIERS" - January to May
So, instead of having an "ad hoc" championship, I'd rather use the pre-existing ones run by the leagues, aptly invested of the qualifying status. For example, let's take oAo, or GPLBrasil: the new championships running will award to the best drivers in the championship the right to access to to Final Rounds of the World Cup. The main objective is to have at the very least 3 drivers from each League. According to Bob Simpson's GPLLinks, thare are around 40 Leagues around, so there would be 120 people racing.

2 - "HEAT SESSIONS" - June to September
Now, we have 120 drivers waiting to have a chance. We'll split them up into 6 Houses, with no more than one driver of a certain league in each one to avoid team issues. Each House will run a Points Championship of 8 races, with tracks chosen between the finest GPL can offer and that can  let the driver use every technique: twisty tracks, fast tracks, in-betweens, city ones and the like. No track is off the table, we just have to make a competent calendar.
Only the best 18 (3 for each House) will get to the Grand Finale.

3 - "THE GRAND FINALE" - September to October
A spine-chilling championship to be held on the Crown Jewels of Formula One: Monza 10K, Spa '67, Monaco (or Monacane), Nordschleife, Silverstone with two more races to be decided. Full Championship distance, Full Pro difficulty, Every driver must use every car, it's not allowed to use the same car for more than one race. The one who has the most points, wins the cup.
The last race will have to be held on Hallowe'en, since it's the day GPL has been released (I might be wrong, but the only date I found floating around was this one on GameSpot).

So... what do you think?

#41 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted Jan 08 2018 - 05:43 PM

I'm speaking with the remaining argentinian guys.
Don't know if anybody else want to be "the" person representing Argentina, but I'll survey it.

Cheers. Marcos

#42 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 533 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted Jan 09 2018 - 08:13 AM

View Postskx, on Jan 08 2018 - 11:58 AM, said:

Hi drivers :)

I honestly think it should be more powerful, in order to reach this amazing idea of organizing a such World Cup, if only few of us talk and work together about the "best" rules and schedule.
It is great to share our ideas, but in my opinion this kind of discussion through a forum will lead to confused comment :hmm:

From now on, maybe each country can "elect" only one person to take place in the "organization committee" that will be the only one allowed to define the WC rules.
If this committee is composed of one "manager" from each country, each of them will be the spokesperson for the drivers of its country.
As soon as this committee has been defined, while the rules will being discussed, it will also be able to first let us know about an approximation of how many drivers should fine to form a team. Then, each country will have X weeks to propose a list of potentials motivated drivers :rolleyes:

Well, this is only my personal point of view to have an efficient organization...

Best !
ToM

Good point Tom!

So far we have:

Jonny O - Brazil
Marcos Mirande  - Argentina (depending on survey)
Tom Guérout - France
Robert Fleurke - Netherlands (unless someone else wants to take up the gauntlet)

Guys like Michi might want to be involved as well among others!?

Edited by Robert Fleurke, Jan 09 2018 - 08:13 AM.

#43 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,394 posts

Posted Jan 09 2018 - 10:11 AM

"Birthday" according to USPTO records shows Grand Prix Legends first use in commerce is September 27, 1998.

This year that's on Thursday .

Please set number one priority to be having fun.
Number two is make sure it happens.
Too much organization and attempts to build too much into it, or onto it, makes it all too complex and may reduce participation.

Still think it makes no difference where anyone is from.
We're all here.

Seems the more important things to consider are server time/space access, support of those who run the on-line infrastructure, and to what extent leagues and league members will participate and support the party.

BTW, over many years have played in a lot of pool tournaments.
Before the events no one has any idea who or if anyone will show up.
Its a risk the promoters take.
Still, no matter who shows up the event is held, finishing places earned, and the results are locked in for posterity.
The losers are the ones who didn't play.

Edited by John Woods, Jan 09 2018 - 10:42 AM.

#44 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 860 posts

Posted Jan 10 2018 - 08:41 AM

I'm with John here, lets keep this simple. The easier it is to join the more players you'll get onto the grid. So no prequalification, apart from the earlier mention of open online practice to sort the grid. No national committees and the like. Just 7 cars 7 tracks 7 week(?) centered around September/October I'd say. If one of the GPLRacers could chime in here on when they plan their ModMasters so we dont step on their toes date wise that would be great.

In any way what is needed first is a schedule before we look at how exactly this is going to run. Then as I said, just let everyone run the best will rise to the top in any case.

That said for the tracks

Monte
Monza
Spa (spa67)
Nurbyring

are a must, picking from the remaining 7 tracks, imo
Mosport
Kylamai
Mexico

but I'm quite flexible on those three.

So, opinions and suggestions on the 7 tracks you'd run in this to be posted below. It's only 330 combinations, 35 if we keep my top 4 as they are.

#45 skx

skx

Jimmy Clark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:mecanics

Posted Jan 10 2018 - 03:08 PM

Hi there ! :)

I sent MP to guys who said OK to be the spokesperson for their country :
If we agree to continue to form this kind of organization committee, the following countries should fine someone and contact me :
- Belgique
- UK
- USA
- Italy

Any country more ?

Best,
ToM

Edited by skx, Jan 10 2018 - 03:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links