Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Jellied eels
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 16 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hello,

I'm still bedding in the system on my new computer, with Windows 7. Although the overall sound quality is far better than I have experienced on previous systems, there is a small fault: in close proximity with other cars, the sound level drops. This is particularly noticeable when passing the pits when they are fully occupied by artificially-intelligent persons. This is not a huge problem but it's mildly irritating when everything else works so well.

I have checked through the trouble-shooting guide. I tried changing from stereo to mono (in both player.ini and app.ini, as recommended) but that did not crack it.

What should I try next?

#2 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,462 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Aug 16 2013 - 05:11 PM

Recently discovered having the same problem on a WinXP Intel system with a sound card.
Wasn't doing this before, but don't know why now.
Hopeful someone can help.

#3 Alan Davies

Alan Davies

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • Interests:Cycling: Road and Off Road.
    Driving well and safely.
    Climbing, Mountaineering and Armchair Polar Exploration.
    Photography.
    Growing Vegetables.
    Cacti and Alpines (tough survivors).

Posted Aug 17 2013 - 12:14 AM

I have this too on Win 7.

#4 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Aug 17 2013 - 03:26 AM

Does that effect happen as well when you lower the number of sounds in gpl?
It is not a solution but i was wondering if that has an influence on the volume reduction.

#5 kestrel

kestrel

Jo Siffert

• Supporter
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Family, Photography, Motor Sport, Music

Posted Aug 17 2013 - 03:50 AM

Try this:  right click speaker icon in taskbar, select Playback Devices, highlight speakers, select Properies at bottom right of panel, select Enhancements, tick Enable Loudness Equalisation.

#6 Peter Dron

Peter Dron

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted Aug 17 2013 - 07:00 AM

To MECH: Thanks for that suggestion. It certainly improves things. I am currently wavering between 6 and 8, on a trial-and-error basis...

To kestrel: On its own, doing that had no perceptible effect but perhaps in conjunction with the above, it improved things. It's hard to be sure.

Is there somewhere that all possible effects of adjustments to sound are explained?

#7 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,462 posts

Posted Aug 23 2013 - 05:40 PM

Another thing...noticed that sound volume also goes down when hitting something like, for instance, a hay bale...or even when clipping a curb too much but not enough to stop car.

Edited by John Woods, Aug 23 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#8 bingo

bingo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Touring cars, Music

Posted Aug 24 2013 - 10:30 AM

I think this may be a feature of gpl?
When you have lots of cars in close proximity, they are really loud - so gpl over compensates on the volume equalization sort of simulating a microphone.
I'm not entirely certain though

#9 Peter Dron

Peter Dron

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted Aug 25 2013 - 03:32 AM

View Postbingo, on Aug 24 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

I think this may be a feature of gpl?
When you have lots of cars in close proximity, they are really loud - so gpl over compensates on the volume equalization sort of simulating a microphone.
I'm not entirely certain though.

Well, the effect was definitely not there on my old system, with Windows XP Pro. Perhaps it is the different Logitech drivers used for Windows 7 or perhaps there is something within the modifications to GPL. Unfortunately, I lack the technical competence to analyze the causes, let alone solve the problem.

#10 Peter Dron

Peter Dron

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted Aug 26 2013 - 06:57 AM

I am stilling fumbling my way around Windows 7, which seems rather more complicated than XP without necessarily being better. Well, that's progress for you...

However, I think I have made a breakthrough on this sound distortion thing. In Control Panel, I had been going to Sounds and various other things without being able to make any useful changes. Then today I noticed (in Control Panel) an icon for Realtek HD Audio Manager. The Sound effects setting was None. I changed that to Arena and tried it in GPL: rubbish. I went back and reset it to Generic: nearly as bad. Then I reset it to Plain. That seems pretty good.

It is still necessary to keep the number of sounds down to about 8 and I am not sure if I have yet found the definitive setup, but it is a big improvement.

I hope this is helpful - and please post your definitive setup here, if you find one.

Edited by Peter Dron, Aug 26 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#11 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,322 posts

Posted Aug 26 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostPeter Dron, on Aug 25 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

Well, the effect was definitely not there on my old system, with Windows XP Pro. Perhaps it is the different Logitech drivers used for Windows 7 or perhaps there is something within the modifications to GPL.

I don't see how Logitech drivers would affect the sound.  You should try updating the Realtek drivers.

It's my impression that Windows 7 allows the onboard Realtek sound to work much better with GPL than in XP.

#12 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,462 posts

Posted Aug 26 2013 - 09:52 AM

Hm, well...played with Win Control Panel Sound hardware acceleration and sample rate, increasing both from prior settings, and now do not have the sound volume going down issue but it is still not right...getting some crackly pop static after a thump...its way better than before except for that.

Edited by John Woods, Aug 26 2013 - 09:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links