tema

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:GPL, rFactor, Assetto Corsa, GSCE, GTL
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Mar 15 2011 - 09:12 PM

After some testing of G27' shifter (lot of fun when it comes to pure driving sensation, but total disaster in terms of laptimes: it's hard to improve, when you cannot tell the gear from shifter play or a "sticky" gate) I decided to order the Act Labs RS Shifter. As I understand, the RS shifter is plugged into a USB port via adapter and is recognized by the system as a separate controller.

The question is: should the native shifter unit be connected to the wheel?

The point is that many control buttons (including D-pad) are placed on this unit and having it disconnected would be fatal for a PS3-user, but luckily I'm not the case :). Anyway, I can easily live without them, but instead having multiple boxes mounted on the table with extra wiring would be undesirable.

#2 Tussman

Tussman

Chris Amon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 16 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hi,

I have the SimGear Lightning SST shifter and a G25 and I have the G25 shifter connected just because of the buttons on it and it works fine. You just use GPL shift to to select the shifter you want.

Göran

#3 rfratelli

rfratelli

Jo Bonnier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted Mar 21 2011 - 05:14 PM

i´m not sure that G27 can get detected without the shifter unit plugged in. I remember once i my ps3, when i was too lazy to mount the shifter in my desk, the wheel was not recognized.. not sure what happens in the PC. give it a try

#4 tema

tema

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted Mar 21 2011 - 07:20 PM

Tussman said:

You just use GPL shift to to select the shifter you want.
I see, there's plenty of options in GPLShift.ini, thanks

rfratelli said:

i´m not sure that G27 can get detected without the shifter unit plugged in.
Thanks, I'll try it.

#5 tema

tema

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted Apr 20 2011 - 09:53 PM

Update.

OK, yesterday I finally got my Shifter and took some laps around Brands Hatch and Spa. Here's the summary.

1. G27 on a PC DOES function properly when disconnected from its native shifter block.

2. The shifter itself is quite interesting. Not that it's super stiff (I got such impression after reading tons of reviews in the Net), but its kinematics is absolutely different from G27's. The gears are more pronounced (you bet, with such a huge displacement!) and steel gate prevents sticking between gears. As a result, in approximately 20 minutes I was able to perform a clumsy action that remotely resembled "touch-shifting" :).

3. The shifter is LOUD, mostly due to constant metal-to-metal impact contacts. Consider wrapping some kind of soft and durable insulator around the shifter neck (my quickfix with a PVC-tape didn't last long). Not a problem, if you play alone. Plus, its mechanism produces a low-tone grinding CLICK-CLUCKS, which I cannot call unpleasant.

3. The USB-adapter creates two additional "virtual units", which are reserved for wheel and pedals. They add 5 axes; they are dead, but will wreck a havoc upon your controller configuration. Get ready to re-calibrate and re-assign.

4. I've seen complaints about interchangeable plates on the Internets, that the process of replacement is complicated and leads to wear-out of the stick's mount. I don't see a problem here: most of H-gated cars depicted in sims have 6 gears (5+R), and the maximum number of gears is 7 (6+R). 8 gears is extremely rear (I don't think I ever met one in sims). Now, most of GPL cars have 5-forward gears with an exception of BRM and I'm just too lazy to disassemble the shifter and edit GPLShift.ini just for one car. So I sticked to 7-gear plate, it's enough for GPL, enough for historical rFactor mods and more than enough for GTL. To wrap it up: I don't see a problem having empty gear slots. But if I were a die-hard NASCAR fan, the possibility to install the authentic 5-gear plate would be a killing feat. Great plus.

#6 Remco Hitman - guest

Remco Hitman - guest
  • Guests

Posted Apr 21 2011 - 03:26 AM

Okay, that sounds great! Good luck getting up to speed with the shifter. Are you going to start right foot braking or were you doing that already?

Also note that gearboxes on '67 cars are reversed from what you'd expect in a road car so if you want crazy realism you might want to consider setting that up.

R 2 4
| | |
1 3 5

GLA!  :thumbup:

#7 FloP

FloP

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted Apr 22 2011 - 09:32 AM

View PostRemco Hitman, on Apr 21 2011 - 03:26 AM, said:

Also note that gearboxes on '67 cars are reversed from what you'd expect in a road car so if you want crazy realism you might want to consider setting that up.

So I've had that wrong for how many years? Ever since I've been using an H-shifter, basically... and I thought I was using it as realistically as possible with such a simple device as mine. Apparently I was wrong all the way. :duh:

#8 Remco Hitman - guest

Remco Hitman - guest
  • Guests

Posted Apr 22 2011 - 10:25 AM

View PostFloP, on Apr 22 2011 - 09:32 AM, said:

So I've had that wrong for how many years? Ever since I've been using an H-shifter, basically... and I thought I was using it as realistically as possible with such a simple device as mine. Apparently I was wrong all the way. :duh:

Haha, apparently so!  :lol:

I haven't used it much with GPL because for a long time I didn't have a 6th gate but I have for specific rFactor cars like '70s Tyrrells and the Ferrari F40.
It takes about half a lap to get used to. Just be aware that GPL's ingame lever could throw you off.

The idea behind these configurations is that it basically turns into a 4-speed once you're out on track since 1st is very rarely used apart from standing starts and two hairpins in Monaco.

Edited by Remco Hitman, Apr 22 2011 - 10:26 AM.

#9 Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

Paddy the Irishman

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Interests:GPL; Model Cars; Photography. Assetto Corsa

Posted Apr 22 2011 - 12:20 PM

Okay, that sounds great! Good luck getting up to speed with the shifter. Are you going to start right foot braking or were you doing that already?

R 2 4
| | |
1 3 5

GLA!  :thumbup:
I seem to remember that my old Porsche 914 had that configuration also - and for the reason Hitman give in the post above.  It was heavily 'sprung' from the first gear toward the 2-3 gear line.

#10 tema

tema

Chris Amon

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted Apr 24 2011 - 07:22 PM

I tried RFB several months ago, still with G27 shifter, but didn't make much progress. I didn't bother trying it when testing the Act Labs shifter, since my time was precious. As GPLFlagman's author noted in README, I have a live and family, so my laptimes don't improve :).

R 2 4
| | |
1 3 5
Cool, I should try it. Also I have noticed that 7-gear plate that I'm using doesn't have marks on it. Didn't they make it on a purpose?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links