- - - - -

Why Does Track Building Have To This Hard?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Dunderbolt

Dunderbolt

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:I love classic racing.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 05 2019 - 07:39 PM

So me: a younger person who's barely played GPL for over month and already I love the game to the point that I wanna try and create my own tracks. Sadly my issue stems from the fact that the tutorial is very difficult to follow. For me, the issue begins with walls and traces. While I'm not trying to say that his info is bad, I have honestly had trouble following it well. It got frustrating to the point I had to stop.

I hope there's more resources out there for learning with the GPL track editor, because from what I've seen. A lot of this information is outdated as I learn that there are more "in-date" and better software to use, of which I know nothing about or learn of sporadically. There's not a single spot on the forums that truly helps in all regards unless you're talking about threads that are almost 10 years old filled with dead links. I hope there will eventually be a single stickied thread that is updated constantly to provide the latest versions of editing software for this game to help newer players to GPL understand how making new tracks work and provide the necessary tools in a single thread. So far, I'm relegated to the hopes that an administrator will respond to me on an inquiry I may have about a vital piece of software I need. This will lead to me having being sent to a 5+ year old thread where the download for what I need is on the 10th post.

Hopefully someone can understand my plight. I see this community wanting new content creators, heck just newer players in general. Yet when it comes to trying to make tracks, it is a difficult task just to get what you need to get started. I'm not trying to trash anyone, but from a new community member's perspective, it's tiresome to have to deal with going to the GPL links website to find that a lot of what you want is outdated or it leads to a forum post that then leads to a dead link to a editing tool's website. Heck, even the GPLlinks.org website doesn't even have the 1967 Sports Cars mod updated to the newer version that came out last year.

Again, I'm not trying to say this community is horrible. Far from it. You people are more than welcoming to new members, and from what I've seen, any piece of content someone makes out of their love for this game, the rest of the community praises that new content, no matter if it seems amateurish. Simply because this is content made by the GPL community itself and from what I've seen, you all value each member thoroughly as if this entire site is a family on it's own. I feel as if a 14 year old could make the most ugly or worst track possible, yet I bet someone would try and break a "world record" for fastest lap on that same track. Even more so when veteran track makers begin to throw praises about how he made a good start and shower him with advice to help nurture that experience he gains from every bad to not so good track he makes to finally make that track where he can fully feel proud of himself.

#2 mcmirande

mcmirande

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted Dec 05 2019 - 10:24 PM

Do You really have 14 years old? If so, consider that when you born, GPL already had 6 years.
In those years, Google Earth didn't exist and even the internet wasn't common in most homes.
Also, GPL wasn't designed to be modded. Every mod and actually every program to mod GPL has to hack it to work because the gpl community never had access to its code. It's rather the opposite to the free coded Linux software we're accostumed today.

It's true that we could have a single and friendly program to do everything concerning track building. But who would program it for free and leave it available (also for free) to any modder or track creator?

This community is supported by many small contributions that are/were made just for love to gpl. And considering that, we have rather good programs and very good documentation for almost everything.

Be patient and consider that our first track usually demands several years. And also that the historic nature of gpl really deserves it.

Best wishes and ask any doubt you have, that will eventually answered ;)

Marcos

#3 Dunderbolt

Dunderbolt

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted Dec 05 2019 - 11:02 PM

View Postmcmirande, on Dec 05 2019 - 10:24 PM, said:

Do You really have 14 years old? If so, consider that when you born, GPL already had 6 years.
In those years, Google Earth didn't exist and even the internet wasn't common in most homes.
Also, GPL wasn't designed to be modded. Every mod and actually every program to mod GPL has to hack it to work because the gpl community never had access to its code. It's rather the opposite to the free coded Linux software we're accostumed today.

It's true that we could have a single and friendly program to do everything concerning track building. But who would program it for free and leave it available (also for free) to any modder or track creator?

This community is supported by many small contributions that are/were made just for love to gpl. And considering that, we have rather good programs and very good documentation for almost everything.

Be patient and consider that our first track usually demands several years. And also that the historic nature of gpl really deserves it.

Best wishes and ask any doubt you have, that will eventually answered ;)

Marcos

I'm not talking about the software itself. I do find it hard to finagle and mess with, but with some time I can learn. I'm just upset with how the software is barely archived and not stored for easy access for new community members. I've had to dig around a good while to find the trk23doz.exe file—which from what I've read, is critical to actually making a working track. The archival for files like this is sub par and It can actually drive people away from making tracks if they can't even find the tools necessary to start making a track. Also, the 14 year old portion is simply a hypothetical example. I'm not that age.

#4 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Dec 05 2019 - 11:53 PM

I can understand your frustration. Especialy about problem finding all needed tools and programs. It's true that there are number of thread with dead links. Some points to now non-existing sites, some became dead after forum crash years ago. But if you ask directly some of track makers I think they can  give you everything you need ;)

As for good trackmaking tutorial, this one http://wiki.grandpri...rs_Guide_Part_1 is pretty good. It covers basics steps so you should be able to make simpe track. As for me walls and traces are not big problem, textures mapping is where I get stuck :wall:  :rolleyes:

There is also second tutorial that was available in Autosim magazine. It was spread across several magazines issues. There Lou Magyar created Phoenix Speedway infield road course. I don't know if it is available anywhere now but I should have those pdf somewhere on my HD.

EDIT Foud it

Part 1 https://en.calameo.c...487cb85a5716638 (page 31)
Part 2 https://en.calameo.c...48761d5c1c16920 (page 41)
Part 3 https://en.calameo.c...487e5fb76b09a08 (page 91)

Edited by Pavel, Dec 06 2019 - 12:16 AM.

#5 webfoot

webfoot

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 290 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted Dec 06 2019 - 04:56 AM

I think this thread over at the Repository is a good collection of tools etc.

http://gplr.srmz.net...hp?showtopic=87

#6 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,653 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Dec 06 2019 - 10:55 AM

Anyone with concerns, issues, and good ideas is welcome to do something about them.
That is how everything has been accomplished.

For instance, anyone who asks to help is welcome to edit gpllinks.org.

:D

#7 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl

Posted Dec 06 2019 - 11:16 AM

in fact theres plenty of track editing tools , but its not true of  car editing tool theres not much , its cultural ,in the days the GPLEA  people were not the sharing kind

#8 Dunderbolt

Dunderbolt

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted Dec 06 2019 - 09:15 PM

View Postwebfoot, on Dec 06 2019 - 04:56 AM, said:

I think this thread over at the Repository is a good collection of tools etc.

http://gplr.srmz.net...hp?showtopic=87
I've seen that. A lot of stuff is gone or just leads to dead links.

View PostJohn Woods, on Dec 06 2019 - 10:55 AM, said:

Anyone with concerns, issues, and good ideas is welcome to do something about them.
That is how everything has been accomplished.

For instance, anyone who asks to help is welcome to edit gpllinks.org.

I'm slightly interested in having a constant up to date mod tool page. I just don't know if anybody is willing to send me the files necessary for archival.

#9 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,744 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Dec 07 2019 - 08:32 AM

You might be better off building a track in a more modern sim like Assetto Corsa. GPL is very old and you can't expect every link to be active. We all accept that.

I'm not sure what the count is anymore but I know we have over 500 tracks for GPL.

#10 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,011 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Dec 07 2019 - 06:34 PM

View PostDunderbolt, on Dec 06 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

I'm slightly interested in having a constant up to date mod tool page. I just don't know if anybody is willing to send me the files necessary for archival.

I should have a fairly complete set. What send me list of what you are missing and I see what I can find.

#11 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,105 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Dec 08 2019 - 03:28 AM

View PostDunderbolt, on Dec 06 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

That thread at GPLrepository has everything you need; I use just less than half of those tools.
The ones that lead to dead links are re-posted in a following post or just not useful anymore.

I  did post a couple of times the tool set I use but always in threads that were already open it; might be a good idea to do that in a dedicated thread and pin it.  :thumbup:

#12 MLGathome

MLGathome

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:simracing

Posted Dec 09 2019 - 08:44 AM

View PostPete Gaimari, on Dec 07 2019 - 08:32 AM, said:

I'm not sure what the count is anymore but I know we have over 500 tracks for GPL.

My spreadsheet lists 631 tracks.

Greetings, Marcel

Attached Files

Edited by MLGathome, Dec 09 2019 - 08:46 AM.

#13 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,653 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Dec 09 2019 - 08:52 AM

Thanks ML!

#14 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,744 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Dec 09 2019 - 09:01 AM

View PostMLGathome, on Dec 09 2019 - 08:44 AM, said:

My spreadsheet lists 631 tracks.

Greetings, Marcel

Track builders have been busy. Thanks.

#15 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,402 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Dec 09 2019 - 09:56 AM

Guys the GPLTD has a statics page. ;)
http://gpltd.bcsims.com/?ir=Stats

:wave:

Edited by Stefan Roess, Dec 09 2019 - 09:56 AM.

#16 paul_v

paul_v

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:grand prix legends and mods

Posted Dec 09 2019 - 12:27 PM

Hey, thanks Marcel,

Downloading now. Wonder how many I dont even know !!!

Paul.

#17 fajanko

fajanko

Jani Posta

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,041 posts
  • Interests:"I am a semi-professional race car driver AND an amateur tattoo artist."

Posted Dec 09 2019 - 01:59 PM

View Postpaul_v, on Dec 09 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

Hey, thanks Marcel,

Downloading now. Wonder how many I dont even know !!!

Paul.

Custom Rank has 568 tracks -- and 65.918 lap times by 82 drivers :)

http://freeleo.hu/we...:crank/records/

Edited by fajanko, Dec 09 2019 - 01:59 PM.

#18 ljmagyar

ljmagyar

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted Dec 10 2019 - 03:04 PM

So lets get this back on track - its not a track count thread - its a track MAKING thread.  You've got Ginetto, Stefan, and now me involved.  We still make tracks.  In fact, I'm working on three of and on right now!  Its a hobby that keeps me busy on rainy days.  If you need help, you can ask.

In addition to the thread Ginetto pointed out, I have a repository on the LoPeN (by invite only) forum that is complete.

Confirming Ginetto's comment about the quantity of tools - I use maybe 6 or 8 of them regularly at most.

GPLTRK
TRK23DO
123DO
GracED (although i also developed an elaborate spreadsheet to do basically the same thing)

Those will get you a basic track layout along with objects... the rest is graphics stuff...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links