Trouble With Hosting

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 05 2014 - 04:10 PM

Hi all,

I've tried hosting again after numerous failed attempts. Still can't get it to work. Whenever I try to join my own server with my laptop I get a time out. (I use the laptop as racing machine and can join other servers ok)

Tried opening the ports as described here:

http://www.jamesonli...gpl/6_ports.htm

Port 113 (TCP/incoming) - not essential
Port 6970 (UDP/outgoing)
Port 6971 (UDP/incoming)
Port 6667 (TCP/outgoing)
Port 30196 (TCP/incoming)
Port 30196 (TCP/outgoing)
Port 30197 (TCP/outgoing)
Port 30198 (TCP/incoming)
Port 30198 (TCP/outgoing)
Port 30199 (UDP/outgoing)
Ports 32766-32786 (UDP/incoming)

As a last resort I tried hosting with the firewall turned off completely, still no joy. I have patched the server GPL with the bwpatch, number 1, and number 2, setting 2. BW settings 3/84 3/132 .

I have never opened ports before but opened them as described on Windows' website. Even if I didn't do it correctly, things should still work with the firewall disabled completely, yet they do not. I don't know what is blocking connections :think: any ideas?

Tommie.

Edited by TvO, Mar 05 2014 - 04:11 PM.

#2 Warren Hall Jr.

Warren Hall Jr.

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 05 2014 - 06:07 PM

Hi Tommy. I run two GPL servers, one on VROC and one on iGOR. The ports have to be opened in the router, so use the info from the router site, not a windows site. The method of opening ports varies greatly from router to router.  I only open Ports 32766-32786 (UDP/incoming). Make sure there's no anti virus or fire wall (including the windows firewall) blocking these ports.
The Hauls servers are mine.
Warren

#3 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 05 2014 - 06:32 PM

I see! Thanks Warren, I'm going to try it out tomorrow. I've already found some info about how to open these ports on my router, hopefully all goes well :) .

Tommie.

#4 Warren Hall Jr.

Warren Hall Jr.

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted Mar 05 2014 - 08:43 PM

I should have mentioned that the router I'm on now doesn't block any out going data.
Like I said there are lots of different routers out there.
Warren

#5 MLGathome

MLGathome

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:simracing

Posted Mar 06 2014 - 03:18 AM

Hi Tommie,

Keep in mind that normally a router makes several IP numbers eg 50. Your server takes a random number in the lower numbers. That is why my comptuter has a fixed IP adress in the higher numbers. Only the ports for his IP are open. Never managed the opening of ports in my firewall. If I host a race, only for practice, I close my firewall.

Tried to add a link from jamesonline.net about setting up server but that doesn't work. Can't copy/paste here.
So I just typed it.

http://jamesonline.n...urity_risks.htm

Groetjes, Marcel

Edited by MLGathome, Mar 06 2014 - 03:58 AM.

#6 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 06 2014 - 07:26 AM

It would appear that my router has a fixed IP number, as it's still the same as it was yesterday. Also, my laptop has the same IP. Don't know if that can be a problem? I've used this IP as a test, if it's changing I can fix my IP later.

I tried forwarding ports on the router and think I've done it correctly. However, I still get a timeout at http://www.canyouseeme.org/ when I check my ports. This could be due to it only recognising TCP and not UDP, but I tried opening the same ports on TCP and the website still showed a no go :think:. Tried with disabling internet connection on the laptop so that firewall isn't interfering with anything.

Either way, I've tried joining my server with my laptop with all firewalls turned off, and I get an 'error on network device', which probably means the router ports are still not open :think: . Tried a bunch of stuff, like UPnP on, still no joy, and got my first grey hairs when I unchecked something which caused my router to freeze. Luckily resetting the router works like it should :) .

I really don't know that much about routers but other people can host just fine so it shouldn't be rocket science :think: . Yet I can't get the darn ports to open up.

Anyone here got hosting with GPL working with a ZTE H220N router?

Edited by TvO, Mar 06 2014 - 07:27 AM.

#7 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 06 2014 - 07:48 AM

If you host, can others join your server from iGOR? (I suppose the question I am really asking is can you host and others can join, but just not yourself from another PC on your home network, or is the problem that no one can join your server at all?)

When I host, I cannot join my server from iGOR as that tries to connect to the external IP address which is the same for both my server and my race PC (which I guess is the address of the router). In order to connect to my server from my race PC when I am hosting, I connect from the multiplayer page in GPL using the static IP for the server that I have assigned to my server PC on my local network from my router.

Rob

Edited by Border Reiver, Mar 06 2014 - 07:50 AM.

#8 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 06 2014 - 08:03 AM

I've seen Martin and Chris trying to join my server and they show up in iGOR as participating drivers, but I never get any message on the server in GPL.

Hmm perhaps I should set up a new static IP for the host after all :think: . I didn't think that this could be the problem but perhaps it is?

#9 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 575 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Mar 06 2014 - 08:11 AM

My Fritzbox gives static internal IP's to each connected PC.

So I only do the Port forwarding for the servers internal IP

#10 voda1

voda1

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted Mar 06 2014 - 09:29 AM

If your router is using DHCP you can reserve an IP# by assigning the MAC address of the PC to it. No matter the order you start up your devices, the PC still gets same IP.

#11 Warren Hall Jr.

Warren Hall Jr.

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted Mar 06 2014 - 10:00 AM

Tommie, you said "It would appear that my router has a fixed IP number, as it's still the same as it was yesterday. Also, my laptop has the same IP". Your laptop should not have the same ip. What mode is the router in? DHCP is the proper mode I think. So what ever your actual ip is anything behind your router should be something like 192.168.1.05. subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0.
Warren

#12 Border Reiver - guest

Border Reiver - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 06 2014 - 10:05 AM

The same as the other guys, I have set up my router so that each of the devices I have in my flat always gets given the same IP address which is reserved for it by its MAC address in the DHCP table on the router. My server always therefore gets the same IP address, no matter what order my PCs or other devices get turned on and off in, and that is the internal IP address that has port forwarding set up for it.

When connecting from my race PC to my server it is this internal IP address for the server that I connect to from the multiplayer page in GPL. Everyone else connects to the external IP address of the router from iGOR in the normal way.

Rob

Edited by Border Reiver, Mar 06 2014 - 10:07 AM.

#13 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 06 2014 - 03:47 PM

Wow, thanks for all the responses! I've never dabbled with this before so I'm quite new to the whole scene. Thank God for Google :) . I'll try looking at DHCP and MAC tomorrow or the day after, that must be the problem :) . How can I find out what the MAC address of my PC is? Is it shown somewhere automatically or do I have to search for it somewhere?

#14 MECH

MECH

Double poly killer

• Administrators
  • 2,384 posts
  • Interests:My Girlfriend

Posted Mar 06 2014 - 04:19 PM

Start dosbox type ipconfig /all
Depending on what you have you might have more then one value e.g. multiple network adapters.

Here are some solutions for other os aswell:http://nl.m.wikihow....mputer-opzoeken

Above is for xp but works on most systems just as well :)

#15 TvO - guest

TvO - guest
  • Guests

Posted Mar 06 2014 - 04:30 PM

Thx, very handy :) . I hope my router is already in DHCP mode, otherwise I'll have to look into changing that as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links