#1 kunc

kunc

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 11 2012 - 05:19 PM

I'm just wondering if I can use a tool like NVidia Inspector to improve my graphics ... especially the white lines at the edge of the track, and somewhat blocky tires.
If so, which .exe do I point to ... all eight individually (the eight mods that I have installed), or just the gpl.exe?
As it is, I'm only using the options available in the GEM+ interface and though I'm generally satisfied, if improvements can be made I'd like to try.
Thanks in advance.

#2 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,322 posts

Posted Jan 11 2012 - 05:25 PM

I use it but I just make the changes to the global_driver_profile.

See http://srmz.net/inde...topic=6459&st=0 > post #34

#3 daynyc

daynyc

Ludovico Scarfiotti

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted Jan 11 2012 - 06:46 PM

I have a GTX 480 and Windows 7/64. After may other experiments, the Nvidia Inspector settings in the thread Bob refers to worked wonders for me. You may also have to try some different drivers, as the latest are not the best for everyone. I also use Open GL.
Day

#4 Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Computer hardware, games, running, cycling, lots of stuff.
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Jan 11 2012 - 09:13 PM

Is there also something like this for AMD/Ati cards?
A while ago upgraded my old Geforce card to a AMD Radeon, but GPL performs a lot worse ever since. :(

#5 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted Jan 12 2012 - 05:50 AM

View PostWile E. Coyote, on Jan 11 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

A while ago upgraded my old Geforce card to a AMD Radeon, but GPL performs a lot worse ever since. :(

You could try Riva Tuner or ATI Tray Tools.

Edited by Yngwie, Jan 12 2012 - 05:52 AM.

#6 Frenchy

Frenchy

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 531 posts

Posted Jan 12 2012 - 08:31 AM

View Postkunc, on Jan 11 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

I'm just wondering if I can use a tool like NVidia Inspector to improve my graphics ... especially the white lines at the edge of the track, and somewhat blocky tires.
If so, which .exe do I point to ... all eight individually (the eight mods that I have installed), or just the gpl.exe?
As it is, I'm only using the options available in the GEM+ interface and though I'm generally satisfied, if improvements can be made I'd like to try.
Thanks in advance.

If you don't want to use the global settings (so you can leave your settings for other games), you have to make a profile for each of the mod exe's (eg gplc67 etc).

Never have managed to get the tyres looking round though. No matter how much AA I chuck at it.

Cheers
David

Attached File  nVidia settings.jpg   206.2K   40 downloads

#7 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Jan 12 2012 - 09:01 AM

Have you tried both D3DV2 and OGLV2 rasterizers with your new card?  Some cards work well on one and not the other. For me, ati cards have worked well with D3D and nvidia cards work better with OGL. My new machine has a Radeon and was great with D3D, not so much with OGL.  The machine I replaced had an Nvidia card and it worked with OGL and had trouble with D3D.  My older ATI cards always seemed to work better with D3D.

If you've tried both and and it's still not right, then it's probably the driver your using.  GPL is incredibly fussy about drivers.  If you search around this site, you'll find a lot of threads and info about ATI products and drivers.

Good luck!
Dave

Edited by dbell84, Jan 12 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#8 Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 131 posts

Posted Jan 12 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostYngwie, on Jan 12 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

You could try Riva Tuner or ATI Tray Tools.
Thanks I will try those. :thumbup:

#9 Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 131 posts

Posted Jan 12 2012 - 09:19 AM

View Postdbell84, on Jan 12 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

Have you tried both D3DV2 and OGLV2 rasterizers with your new card?  Some cards work well on one and not the other. For me, ati cards have worked well with D3D and nvidia cards work better with OGL. My new machine has a Radeon and was great with D3D, not so much with OGL.  The machine I replaced had an Nvidia card and it worked with OGL and had trouble with D3D.  My older ATI cards always seemed to work better with D3D.

If you've tried both and and it's still not right, then it's probably the driver your using.  GPL is incredibly fussy about drivers.  If you search around this site, you'll find a lot of threads and info about ATI products and drivers.

Good luck!
Dave
I tried both OpenGL and Direct3D, and with the AMD card Direct3D is a lot better, I was already hinted in that direction because I read on the internet that Radeons don't perform well with OpenGL.
Though my old Geforce 9600 GT card still performed a heck of a lot better in OpenGL than my new Radeon 6770 in Direct3D.
What's also,strange is that when I used this card in OpenGL the fps counter showed 35fps while this clearly wasn't the case.
In Direct3D is also shows 35fps, but I doubt this is accurate also as it seems much slower.

#10 kunc

kunc

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted Jan 12 2012 - 04:44 PM

Thanks everyone ... all good and informative stuff!
I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out.

#11 kunc

kunc

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted Feb 25 2012 - 11:10 AM

Everything works and looks great (I'm using Open GL V2).
I found that I had to use "NVidia Control Panel" to create the profiles for each .exe (I couldn't figure out how to create profiles from within "NVidia Inspector").
I then used those profiles to set my options from within "NVidia Inspector".
I wish I had done this years ago when I switched to a 24 inch monitor.  I assumed that the pixelated image was due to the monitor size and couldn't be improved.
I feel as if I'm getting better framerates as well (constant 36 fps) where before I thought it was somewhat "stuttery".
Thanks for your help!

#12 DRat

DRat

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Ham Radio, Model Railroading, Grandkids

Posted Feb 26 2012 - 06:49 PM

View Postkunc, on Feb 25 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

Everything works and looks great (I'm using Open GL V2).
I found that I had to use "NVidia Control Panel" to create the profiles for each .exe (I couldn't figure out how to create profiles from within "NVidia Inspector").
I then used those profiles to set my options from within "NVidia Inspector".
I wish I had done this years ago when I switched to a 24 inch monitor.  I assumed that the pixelated image was due to the monitor size and couldn't be improved.
I feel as if I'm getting better framerates as well (constant 36 fps) where before I thought it was somewhat "stuttery".
Thanks for your help!

Glad it's working well for you.  I am a bit late on this post, but here is my nVIDIA Inspector settings for GPL.  You need to tie the profile to all of the GEM exe's for it to work.  The sparse grid supersampling and the negative LOD bias are very helpful in showing everything properly at all tracks.  I also normally use OGL since there seem to be problems with text overwrites in Pribluda with D3D on my nVIDIA GTX-260.

Attached Files

#13 kunc

kunc

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted Feb 27 2012 - 04:25 PM

Thank you DRat ... I'll have a look at your settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links