gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 08 2016 - 01:13 PM

Recently upgraded to a new Toshiba laptop.  Intel i7 with nVidia graphics..... and a 256GB SSD.  The performance increase is remarkable!!!  I know that it may take a while to get used to a different method of using drive storage.... but with USB 3.0 ports and my external 1TB external hard drive, I can store most less-used items and archives there.

For GPL the track and Mod load times are dramatically improved and then for movies on my external HD they stream to my TV without a glitch.  :)

Edited by gliebzeit, May 08 2016 - 01:17 PM.

#17 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,631 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted May 09 2016 - 03:53 AM

Greg :)
out of curiosity, how do you stream your movies to the TV?
thanks!

#18 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,723 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted May 09 2016 - 05:49 AM

ginetto, my TV is called a Smart TV.... even though it's about 5 years old.  It has a built-in WiFi receiver and circuits to process video stream input from a laptop (besides having options to stream video from Netflix, Amazon, etc from the family WiFi Router).  There are two ways to connect the laptop - through the family WiFi Router or what they call Direct WiFi Connect.  With Direct Connect enabled on the TV it creates a password (to disallow my neighbors from interfering) which I use to connect the laptop to the TV.  When the connection is enabled then I can "push" the video stream (movie file, YouTube clip, etc) from the laptop to the TV.  When using the family WiFi you can actually just scan the hard drive on the laptop (or external HD) for video files.  This second method is limited to the 'type' of files that the TV can process.... which is less than the laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links