• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Dec 27 2015 - 04:40 PM

I know this problem is far away from gpl related,but I thought I would post this problem I am having here to see if anybody as come across this before and maybe give me ideas of a solution!

I have a windows 10 Tablet and have run into a strange problem.I need help please!!!

If I right click an exe(game or say disc clean or google chrome exe) the drop down box for properties to set compatibility or to make a desktop exe doesn't come up. All I get is a spinning cursor then my screen goes black and I end up back on the desktop.With no drop down box?
I notice too when it drops back to desktop the bottom taskbar reloads as well?Also if I right click the desktop alone or a root folder the drop down box appears ok?

Any ideas what I have done and what could rectify this annoying problem!

Thanks all!

TP:

OH & PS: I have tried a restart and done a virus check plus Anti-Malware bytes check and all is Ok with no virus or malware.Obviously something is corrupt here?

#2 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,743 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Dec 27 2015 - 08:53 PM

When you install Windows applications, quite a few of them add their own options to the Windows right-click menu. The technical name for these extra options is "Shell Extensions".

For example, if I right-click a file in File Explorer, I see options which (among other things) enable me to play the file using MediaMonkey, and other options from the 7-Zip utility that allow me to add the file to an archive. However, not all companies appear to test their Shell Extensions properly, and unfortunately Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 seem to be very fussy, and don't react well when there are Shell Extension bugs.

On my Windows 10 PC, if I open up File Explorer, and then right-click on any of the directories in the left-hand window pane, my desktop does something similar to yours. Effectively the desktop says "Oops, there's a bug - I'm going to restart myself." That's why your screen goes black for a moment, and the taskbar reloads itself. Fortunately for me, it doesn't happen if I right-click files or directories in the right-hand window pane, so I can still access file properties and set compatibility modes etc.

There are two possible ways you could investigate this problem:

(1) Technically simpler but less convenient "brute force" approach:
If you can find a way to open up your right-click menu without resetting your desktop, you can check which programs have installed extra options in the menu list, and uninstall those programs one at a time. After each uninstall, try to access the right-click menu and see if your tablet resets. If not, then you've found the program with the buggy Shell Extension.

(2) Technically slightly more difficult, but also a bit more convenient:
Use a tool called "ShellExView" (short for Shell Extensions Viewer) to examine what Shell Extensions have been installed on your tablet, and optionally temporarily disable them one at a time to check if they have bugs. ShellExView is developed by a guy called Nir Sofer, and his website is at www.nirsoft.net. Alternatively just Google for the name "ShellExView" and you should find one or more reputable websites to download the tool, along with advice on how to use it. Install the viewer, and then you can follow the instructions to track down which Shell Extension is giving you the problem.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Saiph, Dec 27 2015 - 09:09 PM.

#3 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,330 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Dec 28 2015 - 06:14 AM

Thanks Saiph for your help and attention.Will look into the  ShellEXView as I write this,so thanks again for those ideas.As many ideas as possible will hopefully help me solve this issue?

Here are links to the PC Help forum which have always helped me in the past and who I have commented about on here in the past.

http://www.pchelpfor...ut-desktop.html

http://www.eightforu...rupt-files.html

http://www.tenforums...s-10-image.html

Thanks Saiph once again :hat-tip:

TP:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links