Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 18 2018 - 05:56 AM

Hello guys

Does anone know what is the maximum Bandwidth / Traffic in kbit/s that GPL needs for up-/download?

I want to limit the amount of traffic that GPL is allowed to use on my server in my network.
What is the maximum bandwidth that GPL can use?

My connection (Cable DSL) speed is:
Download: 32000 kbit/s (= 32 Mbit/s)
Upload: 2000 kbit/s (= 2 Mbit/s)

We have the nice Bart Westra`s GPL page offering the bandwidth patch and infos on settings
https://westrab.home.xs4all.nl/gpl.htm
but that does not help me that much.

Any ideas?

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Roess, Jun 20 2018 - 08:43 AM.

#2 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 856 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 18 2018 - 09:13 AM

Stefan these GPL apps were made when ISDN was the fastest way to connect to the i-net.
The BW patch comes with Bernds all-in-one installer, so no need to change anything.
Run gplinspect.exe and you will see...

If you want to protect the server from a too high Download/stream on an other PC running, 128Kbps is max up/down for ISDN

Edited by Cookie, Jun 19 2018 - 04:23 AM.

#3 Angus Baltimore

Angus Baltimore

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Car simulations
  • Sim interest:P&G for GTR2

Posted Jun 18 2018 - 12:25 PM

Hi everyone, don't know how to create a new topic, my question is how to set the track laps, i.e. can we change the numbers of track laps in the files ?
Thanks for the relpy.

#4 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,320 posts

Posted Jun 18 2018 - 02:22 PM

You probably need to post about 5 - 10 posts before you can start a topic.

If you use GEM, in the Seasons window double click on the track (in the right side column) and edit the "no. of laps in a Grand Prix" there. That's the length for a full GP.  "Long" length is about 30% of that, "Short" length is about 15% of that and "Novice" is about 7%.

You can also just change that number in the season.ini file in the GPL\seasons folder.

Edited by Bob Simpson, Jun 18 2018 - 02:23 PM.

#5 Yngwie

Yngwie

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted Jun 18 2018 - 02:23 PM

Stefan, most likely there's a way to keep an eye on the used traffic in the software of your router.  Look at that before and after a race, divide by the number of participants, multiply with 19 and you should have the maximum traffic. Propably not precise by the bit, but good enough, I think.

#6 Warren Hall Jr.

Warren Hall Jr.

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff

Posted Jun 18 2018 - 08:28 PM

Stefan, are you sure of those speeds? A dial up would give you 56k up and down. Your speeds seem very low. Some how I seem to remember 28k per entrant as the number for GPL. That would mean a bit over 500k for a full field.
Warren

Edited by Warren Hall Jr., Jun 19 2018 - 03:24 AM.

#7 Angus Baltimore

Angus Baltimore

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Car simulations
  • Sim interest:P&G for GTR2

Posted Jun 19 2018 - 12:02 AM

View PostBob Simpson, on Jun 18 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

You probably need to post about 5 - 10 posts before you can start a topic.

If you use GEM, in the Seasons window double click on the track (in the right side column) and edit the "no. of laps in a Grand Prix" there. That's the length for a full GP.  "Long" length is about 30% of that, "Short" length is about 15% of that and "Novice" is about 7%.

You can also just change that number in the season.ini file in the GPL\seasons folder.

Hi Bob and Thanks again for all the informations very helpful.

#8 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted Jun 19 2018 - 03:58 AM

If you run the server with linux there are some tools to easy monitor the traffic -> https://www.binaryti...onitor-network/

In Windows you can use the "task manager" to see the network traffic...

#9 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted Jun 19 2018 - 04:40 AM

I just made a test with nload on my 60fps server

4/84 4/384 Oulton 66s with one client connected

- incomming maximum - 11KBs
- outgoing maximum   - 13KBs

I will run this program tonight hosting UKGPL to see what is used up/down

Edited by Cookie, Jun 19 2018 - 04:47 AM.

#10 roberto teso

roberto teso

Subtitled

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Shoestrings theory

Posted Jun 19 2018 - 05:52 AM

View PostStefan Roess, on Jun 18 2018 - 05:56 AM, said:

Does anone know what is the maximum Bandwidth / Traffic in kbit/s that GPL needs for up-/download?

I have some.

Parameters list

Byte = net_mdm_client_send_size / net_mdm_server_send_size
E = net_mdm_client_send_every / net_mdm_server_send_every
FPS = frame per second
dT = times client send data per second
Bps = Bytes per second
Cl n = clients number
kbps = total kilobit per second

Pre bandwidth patch

20 racers, 2/84, 36 FPS
Posted Image
Post bandwidth patch

20 racers, 3/84, 36 FPS
Posted Image

20 racers, 3/84, 60 FPS
Posted Image
20 racers, 4/84, 60 FPS
Posted Image

There's not a high bandwidth reqiurement, it's all a question of having a good latency and not so different clients timings AND latency.
All in all it's a very old game, born in a period when there was no availability of broadband at human cost and so it is very sparing in bandwidth consumption…

Edit motive: what the hell, when I paste a table from my spreadsheet looks perfect, when I save the post they became totaly messed! I have to redo with images damn it!

Edited by roberto teso, Jun 19 2018 - 06:16 AM.

#11 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted Jun 19 2018 - 08:23 AM

Without the BW patch you have set "every 2" then with BW patch "every 3" ,
as "every 2" uses 30% more so it is same BW use and nothing changed!  ;)

PS

setting such listings into < code> sometimes help ;)

Edited by Cookie, Jun 19 2018 - 08:31 AM.

#12 roberto teso

roberto teso

Subtitled

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Shoestrings theory

Posted Jun 19 2018 - 09:55 AM

View PostCookie, on Jun 19 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

Without the BW patch you have set "every 2" then with BW patch "every 3" ,
as "every 2" uses 30% more so it is same BW use and nothing changed!  ;)

Yes, i do voluntarily, thus because if you had read Bart Westra core.ini verbose you can remeber that before his bandwidth patch, in core.ini net_mdm_client_send_every was set to 2, and so you can compare that reducing the frequency of sent data, reduce bandwidth consumption.
If you noted, I do the same for 60 FPS, comparing net_mdm_client_send_every = 3 and net_mdm_client_send_every = 4, to evaluate different bandwidth consumption.

But remember, reducing data frequency from client mean augmenting trouble in race, because we race at high speed so any ticks mean a lot of meter on the track.

View PostCookie, on Jun 19 2018 - 08:23 AM, said:

PS

setting such listings into < code> sometimes help ;)
I try
Stupid table
A B C
10 2 3
7 4 9

Edit reason: no, using <code> don't solve the problem!

Edited by roberto teso, Jun 19 2018 - 09:55 AM.

#13 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted Jun 19 2018 - 11:07 AM

Yes Roberto I know, that's the reason my server is allways set to "every 4" (= 15 x per second) racing with 60fps ;)

"every 3" with 60fps is only for a grid with all good connections, a mixed international grid is dangerous then...

Edited by Cookie, Jun 19 2018 - 11:10 AM.

#14 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,918 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 20 2018 - 09:25 AM

Thank you all for your replies!

View PostWarren Hall Jr., on Jun 18 2018 - 08:28 PM, said:

Stefan, are you sure of those speeds? A dial up would give you 56k up and down. Your speeds seem very low. Some how I seem to remember 28k per entrant as the number for GPL. That would mean a bit over 500k for a full field.
Warren

Sorry for the confusion. My connection is fast. :)

I had used dots (".") to separate the decimal places and not comma's (",") that you use in English.
For example:

In German: "This will cost you 999,50 EUR".
In English: "This will cost you 999.50 EUR"

I have updated my first post accordingly. :)

---------------------------------

I think I need to explain why I want to limit the bandwidth of GPL on my server. :)

I know that GPL is not bandwidth hungry as GPL was released in 1998 when we didn`t have fast internet yet.
I do not need to limit the GPL bandwidth because I have a slow connection. My connection is fast (see post #1 of this thread).

At some GPLRACER league online races we had very bad lags, or let`s better call it "spikes" as it was really heavy and made it impossible to race anymore online.
But strangely we did not have it all the time.

I have spent a lot of time over the last months to search for the cause.
I have checked:
- Windows 10, with the latest Windows 10 Spring Creators Update Build Version 1803 installed. All apps and services are deactivated that do not need to run on the server
- is the server (hardware) damaged, maybe the network card on the mainboard has an error?
- does the cable line of the provider not work as it should?
- is my network cable damaged?
- canged the Network/Server settings in GEM+ to lower 3/132 instead of full 3/384
- .... and so on, anything you can imagine :rolleyes:

All without any success. :( :hb:

Finally we found out that it is related to my PlayStation 4 (PS4). When I was streaming movies via Netflix or Amazon Prime Video while we were racing we had massive lags (spikes). You may now say, well, that is logic, but strangely this didn`t happen all the time. We had online races while I was streaming a movie on the PS4 and we didn`t have any lags on the GPLRACER league server.

But the last time I had tested with Paul Skingley (thx for your time!) we had massive lags (spikes) when my PS4 was streaming a movie. When I stopped the movie streaming on my PS4 the lags (spikes) where gone.

I searched the internet and found many posts of PS4 users (and also PS3 users) who had the same problem.
As soon as their PS4 is downloading something all other devices in the home network have lags and almost zero bandwidth.
The PS4 takes the full bandwidth of your home network and sadly it has no setting implemented that you can limit the bandwidth of your PS4.

Knowing this I used the hidden option on my FRITZ!Box 7270 router to prioritize devices in my network.
So I have set my GPLRACER server to "high" priority and my PS4 to "low" priority on my router.
But you guess it.... it didn`t help anything. Even with prioritization of my devices we still had massive lags (spikes) when my PS4 was streaming a movie.

Then I had the idea to limit the bandwidth on my GPLRACER server (with the software cfosSpeed https://www.cfos.de/en-gb/index.htm ) and set it to half my overall bandwidth I have for upload and download.
And surprisingly all lags (spikes) are gone now. :) :idea:

Therefore I wanted to know the maximum bandwidth that GPL is using for up-/download as I do not need to set it higher than required.

According to Roberto Teso`s great list I take the highest values that can be possible depending on my BW patch and 36/60 FPS settings:
- maximum GPL bandwidth clients server download = 33600 Bps = 269 kbps (total kilobit per second) ~ 34 kB/s (kilobyte per second)
- maximum GPL bandwidth server upload = 7680 Bps = 62 kbps (total kilobit per second) ~ 8 kB/s (kilobyte per second)

That is really not much for a cable connection. :D
As I have plenty of overall bandwidth on my cable conneciton I thought of setting the limit within the software cfosSpeed to 100 kB/s (kilobyte per second) for up- and download. But then the internet connection is so slow that it will take ages to download any Windows updates. And even standard surfing becomes very slow. That does of course not make any sense.

Ergo I will stay with my limitation settings within the software cfosSpeed of half of my overall bandwidth (see screenshots). :)

Thx for your help!

Attached Files

Edited by Stefan Roess, Jun 22 2018 - 01:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links