Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:GPL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 06 2021 - 01:43 PM

Hello,

GPL has worked without problems for me for a long time but suddenly, today, after I clicked on GEM+ and got into GPL, it does not work.

In JOYSTICK CALIBRATION, my settings have gone. So I went to SET CONTROLS but I cannot reset them, mostly. Specifically, there is no response when I try to assign steering, throttle and brake.

My hardware:

Logitech G25 Racing Wheel (USB)
Fanatech CSL Elite Pedals LC

T500 RS Gear Shift

The gearshift still works but the wheel and pedals do not.

What should I do?

#2 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,850 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Apr 06 2021 - 01:54 PM

Reboot cpu?
Just a guess.

Turn off, wait 10secs, turn on.

:)

Edited by John Woods, Apr 06 2021 - 01:55 PM.

#3 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,208 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 06 2021 - 01:54 PM

This occasionally happens, no idea why.  But when setting axes always adjust steering first, otherwise it often doesn't "take".  Also, on some systems do not have any other controllers attached (on my first Win7 system, if joystick and wheel were both attached, GPL would randomly assign controls across both and I could not reassign them;  trying would thoroughly mess up the cfg file, unplugging the joystick was even worse ...but if I exited without doing anything, then unplug the joystick and start GPL again, all was well).

If nothing else, suspect a windoze update has caused mayhem;  trying controls in different USB ports often works.

#4 Dronzo

Dronzo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted Apr 06 2021 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried this and that and just about everything. No joy so far. The specific problem is that the steering refuses to be assigned in SET CONTROLS. I am busy tomorrow morning but will try yo analyse this further after that...

#5 Saiph

Saiph

Driving 4 Team BDS #JC4PM

• Supporter
  • 2,335 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. simulations, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Apr 06 2021 - 02:56 PM

Do you have any other games or calibration software that you can use to check to see if the wheel/pedals are working properly? The first thing you need to do is confirm if it is just GPL which is having the problem, or is it a fault which has developed with your wheel and/or pedals? Pin down the source of the problem first, then try to fix it.

Edited by Saiph, Apr 06 2021 - 02:56 PM.

#6 Dronzo

Dronzo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted Apr 06 2021 - 03:05 PM

View PostSaiph, on Apr 06 2021 - 02:56 PM, said:

Do you have any other games or calibration software that you can use to check to see if the wheel/pedals are working properly? The first thing you need to do is confirm if it is just GPL which is having the problem, or is it a fault which has developed with your wheel and/or pedals? Pin down the source of the problem first, then try to fix it.

GPL is my only game. In USB Game Controllers, everything (steering, pedals, gearshift) shows up as normal.

#7 davec

davec

Bob Anderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted Apr 06 2021 - 04:10 PM

I had this recently.  This may not help,  but maybe somthing to look at.

A couple of months back, my machine did receive a Windows10 updaate. After that, the USB controller IDs seemed to have changed whch upset my configuration.  I think I adjusted the order of the USB devices (steering wheel / pedals / shifter) possibly using xpadder or joy2key.

Otherwise, you could try using the WIndows "Set up USB Game Controllers" (click start & start typing USB in...).  Then click advanced & maybe try setting the wheel as the device you want to use with older programs.

I also find that when the gpl mod .exe files are recreated (gpl67.exe for example),  I initially get the calibrate screen whilst AV is checking things in the background.  However, after approx  10-15 seconds or so if I leave it, things continue as normal.  Otherwise, I close GPL & restart it.

Good luck, we feel your pain :)

#8 Dronzo

Dronzo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted Apr 07 2021 - 12:13 AM

View Postdavec, on Apr 06 2021 - 04:10 PM, said:

I had this recently.  This may not help,  but maybe somthing to look at.

A couple of months back, my machine did receive a Windows10 updaate. After that, the USB controller IDs seemed to have changed whch upset my configuration.  I think I adjusted the order of the USB devices (steering wheel / pedals / shifter) possibly using xpadder or joy2key.

Otherwise, you could try using the WIndows "Set up USB Game Controllers" (click start & start typing USB in...).  Then click advanced & maybe try setting the wheel as the device you want to use with older programs.

I also find that when the gpl mod .exe files are recreated (gpl67.exe for example),  I initially get the calibrate screen whilst AV is checking things in the background.  However, after approx  10-15 seconds or so if I leave it, things continue as normal.  Otherwise, I close GPL & restart it.

Good luck, we feel your pain :)

You were right. I checked Advanced and changed it - and everything is back to normal. A good start to the day. Thank you.

#9 roberto teso

roberto teso

untitled

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:shoestrings theory

Posted Apr 07 2021 - 02:59 AM

I have encountered the same problem several times in the past, when there are multiple gaming peripherals and the solution is exactly to reorder them from the windows control panel.

The same applies if you use the steering wheel, pedals, gearbox, etc. as individual peripherals, I myself have a G29 with its pedal board connected via a 3DRap converter, which allows me to have 12 bits (4096 steps) against the original 8 bits (256 steps), a nice advantage in pedal sensitivity, with this configuration, sometimes (2 times in 18 months) the pedals and steering wheel are reversed in order and I have to manually swap them.

I kindly ask the administrators to include this solution in the Gpl Faq And Troubleshooting Guide.

#10 Saiph

Saiph

Driving 4 Team BDS #JC4PM

• Supporter
  • 2,335 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. simulations, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Apr 07 2021 - 03:37 AM

View PostDronzo, on Apr 07 2021 - 12:13 AM, said:

You were right. I checked Advanced and changed it - and everything is back to normal. A good start to the day. Thank you.

View Postroberto teso, on Apr 07 2021 - 02:59 AM, said:

I have encountered the same problem several times in the past, when there are multiple gaming peripherals and the solution is exactly to reorder them from the windows control panel.

The same applies if you use the steering wheel, pedals, gearbox, etc. as individual peripherals, I myself have a G29 with its pedal board connected via a 3DRap converter, which allows me to have 12 bits (4096 steps) against the original 8 bits (256 steps), a nice advantage in pedal sensitivity, with this configuration, sometimes (2 times in 18 months) the pedals and steering wheel are reversed in order and I have to manually swap them.

I kindly ask the administrators to include this solution in the Gpl Faq And Troubleshooting Guide.

Even after more than 22 years, we're still learning new things about GPL! :thumbup: Or maybe another way to look at it, after 22 years, Microsoft are still finding new ways to mess up our GPL installations!  :biglaugh:

#11 Dronzo

Dronzo

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted Apr 07 2021 - 01:02 PM

View PostSaiph, on Apr 07 2021 - 03:37 AM, said:

Even after more than 22 years, we're still learning new things about GPL! :thumbup: Or maybe another way to look at it, after 22 years, Microsoft are still finding new ways to mess up our GPL installations!  :biglaugh:

All empires fail.

#12 Joseph P

Joseph P

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 112 posts

Posted Apr 07 2021 - 02:57 PM

View PostDronzo, on Apr 07 2021 - 01:02 PM, said:

All empires fail.

If the empires dont fall, black holes will get them anyway....a long contemplation of eternity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links