• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sid

Sid

An unlapsed lapsed GPLer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Only the 55 mod will tempt me back onto the track.
    Update: The 55 mod has tempted me back onto the track.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Mar 13 2021 - 12:28 PM

Former F1 commentator Murray Walker has died aged 97. Anyone British and a motor racing fan in the 70's, 80's or 90's will remember Murrays "pants on fire" style of commentating. His knowledge of all forms of motor sport was legendary. I had the pleasure of meeting him at Goodwood years ago.

#2 paul_v

paul_v

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:grand prix legends and mods

Posted Mar 13 2021 - 12:38 PM

Sad news. So soon after Moss.

2 childhood heroes.

#3 Saiph

Saiph

Driving 4 Team BDS #JC4PM

• Supporter
  • 2,332 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. simulations, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Mar 13 2021 - 03:03 PM

I remember back in the 1960's when TV companies were attempting their first, fumbling steps into broadcasting motor racing in good(?) old black-and-white. A number of people expressed the opinion that "the public will never be interested in just watching cars going round and round in circles". Strangely, after they watched an event commentated on by Murray, that opinion seemed to fade into history for some reason!  ;) His boundless (over-?) enthusiasm was as infectious as Covid-19, his knowledge helped to clarify things for viewers who had never seen motor racing before, and if the action on the track went into a bit of a lull, his often unintentional humour helped keep things light and entertaining.

Without Murray planting that seed all those years ago, I don't think I would have the interest and enthusiasm that I have today for GPL. And I'm sure that without Murray's help, Bernie Ecclestone wouldn't be a billionaire today. I hope we all appreciate what Murray added to our lives.

RIP Murray.

Edited by Saiph, Mar 13 2021 - 03:05 PM.

#4 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Mar 13 2021 - 03:54 PM

Rip Murray.

He was and will always be a legendary part of motor sport and will be sadly missed by all. Never to be forgotten. I was bowled over when I found out today while watching one of GPlaps race streams.I was kind of expecting this bad news as I think we all knew that he wasn't at is best of late. But still the news bowled me over.

I stated today and will state again. Murray not only talked directly to the fans but was a fan too. He clarified and commentated clearly and as if he was alongside the people in the grandstands. He seemed to cast that passion and fever into people's living rooms too with his unbounded comnentary. Also having a great friendly rapport with drivers of the past, present and the future. He made F1 understandable to the new watcher with his endless enthusiasm. It was as if he was acting as a fan been given the opportunity to be in the middle of the F1 circus for a race weekend.

Today here in the UK I watch F1 on Sky and they're just not in touch with people like Murray was. Okay I know it's a different era but they speak as if everyone's an expert and don't seem to have that passion like Murray. They seem insular, out of touch with the fan and very impersonal.

TP: 😭

Edited by twinpotter, Mar 13 2021 - 04:05 PM.

#5 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,888 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Mar 14 2021 - 08:12 AM

in France,we had the equivalent of Murray walker with Jean Charles Laurens.But he was only  commenting live, for the persons going at the track .He was never replaced for the french public F1 enthusiasts, and all the F1 French TV commentators since his passing failed to do the job.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Mar 14 2021 - 08:12 AM.

#6 KARTM

KARTM

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 490 posts
  • Interests:karting vintage racing gpl

Posted Mar 14 2021 - 08:29 AM

Laurens was doing the live comment in Montreal in 78 the very first year of the GP in montreal ,with  anthony marsh in english  with jackie stewart  ,after the retirement of Walker and before SKY  there was a long period were the british coverage was so so .. but now try to get SKY TV they are really good  , a really good team

Edited by KARTM, Mar 15 2021 - 05:17 AM.

#7 j Behra

j Behra

Ayrton Senna

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:sim racing, history, computers, literature, music, politics, nature and astronomy
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Mar 16 2021 - 03:27 AM

View Posttwinpotter, on Mar 13 2021 - 03:54 PM, said:

Rip Murray.

He was and will always be a legendary part of motor sport and will be sadly missed by all. Never to be forgotten. I was bowled over when I found out today while watching one of GPlaps race streams.I was kind of expecting this bad news as I think we all knew that he wasn't at is best of late. But still the news bowled me over.

I stated today and will state again. Murray not only talked directly to the fans but was a fan too. He clarified and commentated clearly and as if he was alongside the people in the grandstands. He seemed to cast that passion and fever into people's living rooms too with his unbounded comnentary. Also having a great friendly rapport with drivers of the past, present and the future. He made F1 understandable to the new watcher with his endless enthusiasm. It was as if he was acting as a fan been given the opportunity to be in the middle of the F1 circus for a race weekend.

Today here in the UK I watch F1 on Sky and they're just not in touch with people like Murray was. Okay I know it's a different era but they speak as if everyone's an expert and don't seem to have that passion like Murray. They seem insular, out of touch with the fan and very impersonal.

TP:

No doubt that was Murray's magic. And also to be capable of withstanding James Hunt drinking two bottles of red wine next him during Monaco 80 gp. Those two are unforgettable.

#8 snafu

snafu

John Hammonds

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:GPL. F2B (Toy planes)

Posted Mar 16 2021 - 07:30 AM

The thing which made Murray Walker stand out to me was in today's age where commentators sound like they are talking to an audience, Murray Walker always sounded like he was telling me specifically was going on. Not always correctly I'll admit. ;) But his real enthusiasm really made it all the more enjoyable.

TTFN
John.

#9 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Music

Posted Mar 19 2021 - 11:18 PM

View PostSaiph, on Mar 13 2021 - 03:03 PM, said:

And I'm sure that without Murray's help, Bernie Ecclestone wouldn't be a billionaire today.

Fun story, when Murray hung up the mic in late 2001, Bernie said he still had a good 10 years left in him and wanted him to commentate for F1Digital, but Murray was adamant it was his time to retire.

Although, he still stepped in on occasion, for example to replace David Croft at Nurburgring 2007!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links