quico

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:GPL & GTL
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 06 2017 - 03:51 PM

trk23doz reports Floating point division by zero and I have no idea what it could be. It's a flat track, zeroed manualy and with only two traces, so close to the centerline (9m), so walls are inside the radius of curved sections.

EDIT:  when I put some lines in the set file, this message disapears and goes to another error message, Access violation at address 00420457... Read of address 00000008
Now I'll continue working in the track files.

2nd EDIT: it was a simple error, walls out of the limits of traces :P

Edited by quico, Jun 07 2017 - 11:06 AM.

#393 quico

quico

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted Jul 01 2017 - 04:36 AM

3DSimED continues with problems exporting objects to 3do. I detected that the error has to do with some normals that became inverted when exported, while mapping remains unchanged. I reported this to Dave Noonan, but it could be long untill this will be fixed. I want to know if there is a way to recalculate/edit normals with another program like gpl editor. I saw in a thread that its possible to work with 3DOED helping the edition with gpl editor.

#394 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Jul 02 2017 - 03:08 AM

I found easier to rebuild 3DOs with 123do than fix the errors that 3dsimed creates.
You can invert the plane by changing the vertices sequence from clockwise to counterclockwise and then fix the plane in GPLeditor but if the polys are a lot then is a really boring job.

#395 quico

quico

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted Jul 02 2017 - 04:22 AM

Really heavy objects. The tower has 200 polys, as the boxes 1 and 3 (I 've made the boxes in three groups) and box 2 is almost 400 (3DSimED actally makes all the polys triangles, no more square polys).
As 123do can work with square polys, the amount of polys could be almost the midle but there is already a lot of work. Exporting a txt file of the objects from 3DSimED to 123do doesn't help as they are in triangles...

The vertices are correctly sequenced both in 3se and in 3do, when exported to 3do,  only the normals change :blink: and that polys can't be seen in gpl. The changed normals are many in the double sided polys, and few of other polys. In the new 3DSimED, normals are asigned to vertices :shock: not to polys, I think is there where it get messed.

I'm still waiting for Dave Noonan answer.

Thx Ginetto.

Edited by quico, Jul 02 2017 - 04:27 AM.

#396 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,623 posts

Posted Jul 03 2017 - 04:13 AM

Building the boxes in 123do usually is a matter of creating the first one or 2 garages and then copy-paste it to the lenght you need so it will not be a very long task from scratch.
The tower I don't know but usually if 3dsimed says 200 polys, you can usually made the same object with 50 or 60 polys.
I will just measure the first vertices ( of the first part) then make it without using the whole old structure.

#397 quico

quico

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted Jul 04 2017 - 08:40 AM

In my laptop I installed 123do, but never got to save 3do files, only export for ase.

In my "big" PC, after install when I try to start it, I get this: Attached File  123do.png   77.66K   11 downloads and after clik <Aceptar> the program hangs.

Both in Windows 7

I have read the 123do thread...  http://gplr.srmz.net...?showtopic=3749 but no way. I'll keep trying

Edited by quico, Jul 04 2017 - 09:15 AM.

#398 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,623 posts

Posted Jul 05 2017 - 06:00 AM

I have Win7 64 bits too and found out that 123DO needs this Attached File  pic004.jpg   40.41K   21 downloads in the compatibility window.
After that it works just fine.
To create 3DO just keep your files in a folder without spaces and you will not need any other programs :)

#399 quico

quico

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted Jul 07 2017 - 12:15 PM

No way. I'm going on with the tools I have. I think I can optimice objects and still have to work on mapping as there are many things that I must test.

Thanks again

#400 quico

quico

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted Jul 21 2017 - 01:17 PM

Big success!!

I'm getting almost the same number of polys with ASE that the 3se have. In some cases, the same! (remember actually 3DsimED only works with 3 vertex polys, as ase23do does)

This means that there are no split polys in objects. Finished objects in 3do are really optimiced.

Attached File  polistorre.png   69.35K   9 downloadsAttached File  polisbox2.png   67.79K   11 downloads

As I think these are good news, in a few days I'll explain a couple of things to be avoided buildings objects.

Edited by quico, Jul 21 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#401 quico

quico

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted Jul 23 2017 - 11:38 AM

Here are what I 've found about exporting 3se files to 3do through ase23do program.

I'm working with 3DSimED 3.1g but it's possible that older versions works the same when exporting through ase.
These are things that made that ase23do split polys apparently without control in my objects, Jarama boxes and Jarama tower.

First the numbers in the boxes, that were 5cm inside the ceiling of the box outside. When I lower the numbers just to the high of the ceiling, many splits disappeared.

Attached File  boxnum_00.png   179.38K   6 downloadsAttached File  boxnum_01.png   186.34K   7 downloadsAttached File  boxnum_02.png   187.35K   9 downloads

The other problem I had, were the wooden top of the low wall in the front of the boxes.

I putted simply a square face (2 polys) but the wall dividing boxes left a little part of the wooden cover hidden so split polys appears

Attached File  boxmuro_000.png   156.92K   10 downloadsAttached File  boxmuro_001.png   167.83K   11 downloads

I had to make the wooden cover surrounding the vertical wall so that no part of the faces was hidden.

Attached File  boxmuro_002.png   226.45K   10 downloadsAttached File  boxmuro_003.png   216.04K   8 downloadsAttached File  boxmuro_004.png   224.7K   10 downloads

When I started doing this, the 3se object was 382 polys, that became 550 when exported to 3do through ase.

When I corrected the boxes, 44 polys were added as each cover have 6 polys instead of 2, so the 3se object have finally 426 polys.
But it happened that no split polys were generated when converted to 3do, so the final object has also 426 polys. (This is my first zero!!)

Different problems with the tower, that began with almost 700 polys when converted. Finally I have 236 polys in the 3do object while the 3se is 222. Is the best I could do but I'm really happy with that.

The Seat adevrtisement was the first thing. I saw vertical lines that began where the Seat polys crossed with the lines of the cube bellow the Seat faces. The cube initially had not upside cover. Then I tried to close the open cube and... It worked! The split polys of the Seat faces disappeared.

Attached File  torreseat1.png   312.82K   10 downloadsAttached File  torreseat2.png   89.65K   7 downloadsAttached File  torreseat3.png   21.84K   5 downloads

When corrected:

Attached File  torreseat4.png   261.82K   6 downloadsAttached File  torreseat5.png   68.31K   10 downloads

The vertical structures of the tower, were initially the complete high till the top crystal box. That was other source of spliting polys, so I had to divide the structures in two parts as the platform below the crystal box is 20cm thick and ase23do doesn't liked that.

Attached File  torre.png   138.59K   10 downloadsAttached File  torre2.png   344.22K   9 downloads

The thin vertical structure still had two points to solve. Upside it penetrated in the crystal box and in the bottom penetrated in the entrance ramp.

Attached File  torre1__.png   179.94K   6 downloadsAttached File  torre1_.png   246.07K   2 downloads

Attached File  torre4.png   268.03K   3 downloads

One thing that I were difficult to find was the platform fences but it was my fault.

I putted the fences outside the platforms and all was OK. But when I made reverse faces of them to have the inside fences, the bottom of the interior fences were hidden, as all the platforms are 20cm thick.

Attached File  torrebarandilla1.png   356.22K   3 downloads

All of this can give you an idea of how to avoid spliting with the 3DSimED working with the ase23do. Possibly the latest versions of 3DSimED from the 3.1g could do the 3do directly, but with large objects I always find problems, although with simple objects it works fine.

Hope this can be useful for people like me that find classic editors so difficult -or impossible- to use.

Quico

#402 quico

quico

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted Aug 27 2017 - 02:16 PM

I think it's worthy to add this example from the grandstand.

The bottom access corridor of the stands, when reaching the end of the outside stairs -protruding the main body of the grandstand- it makes the number of polis grow to 380, while in the limits of the main body, polis decreased to 260, making no split.

Attached File  tri0.png   238.76K   11 downloadsAttached File  tri2.png   192.94K   16 downloadsAttached File  tri4.png   332.26K   13 downloadsAttached File  tri1.png   188.96K   12 downloadsAttached File  tri3.png   261.03K   13 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links