- - - - -

What Are The Resolution Limitations Under Linux?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Music & Guitar playing
    Hockey, golf, F1 & downhill skiing
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Aug 18 2017 - 04:51 AM

Last autumn I built a computer more or less assigned just to run GPL. I got a lot of help in this thread http://srmz.net/inde...120#entry121940 and this computer runs just fine.

A part of the advices concerned OS. I was ready to test Linux on that computer and was more or less guided through the process. Running from Wine and all. I'm a experienced computer user but no skills at all when it comes to Linux OS. If I'm not guided step-by-step I have to use my inuition, and I've found out that Linux do handle a lot of the OS-related stuff totally different from Win. In the matter below I tried intuition and failed. Perhaps someone here can fill me in around the task as such.

The thing is that I bought a very nice and big screen to my working computer (t.i. NOT the game computer). A HP ZR30w with 2560x1600 resolution (yes, I know you have to use a DVI Dual cable). I was a bit curious how it would look to run GPL from that screen. I admit I didn't know anything about limitations in doing that but just plugged and played it in the game computer. I could see that the system did not admit any resolution of that kind and the screen in GPL looked just like that. Bigger picture but in the "ordinary" lower resolution.

I then took some step of intuition and had some trouble. Not used att all to handle drivers in Linux bout found this Drivershandler app. It listed three options and 'fglrx' was marked as active. At this point I should have checked out more but my interntion was just toi check another driver and see if the would enable the high resolution of my screen. Later I found out that the guidance I've had from the thread mention was that I had to use 'fglrx'.

Instead I tried something that sounded right. I marked option 'xserver-xorg-video-ati (recommended) (open source)' and expected just to find out if that driver made it possible to get the high resolution out of my monitor. That was a catastrophy. Strange things happened (as I fixed this I don't get into the details) and GPL didn't start at all from GEM. I intended to reset to the 'fglrx' just to get thing to work but was prohibited in the dialogue as all options in Drivershandler was greyed out and nothing could be changed at that point. At last I could reset after a couple of Terminal commands I was adviced to use to rinse and re-install. At last I was able to reset to 'fglrx' and everything worked. With the original screen that is.

So my question now is if it's possible at all for me to use a driver that can handle the HP max resolution? Perhaps there are some new available? Or is it still the one and only 'fglrx' alternative that is the right one for me? Here's the specifications:

Version: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa 64-bit (Ubuntu 14.04)
Card: Radeon HD 7970 DirectCU II

If there's a possiblity to get a setup with my OS and screen that gives me a 2560x1600 resolution experience when running GPL it would be great. Perhaps there isn't?

Edited by MickeK, Aug 18 2017 - 04:54 AM.

#2 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Aug 18 2017 - 05:56 AM

Hi Micke

There are no OS limitations!
Your OS version is the right one and for the "old" AMD GPU you need the fglrx driver.

In the HP help forum I found:

Have you tried using the DISPLAY PORT cable?  From what we found we could not achieve full resolution until we used the display port cable.  Sounds weird, but give it a try

Edited by Cookie, Aug 18 2017 - 07:26 AM.

#3 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Aug 18 2017 - 09:37 AM

Welll, I have to give it another try then. Last time, with fglrx activated, I had no option to change the screen resolution at all. The OS dialogue about that had one fix (lower) resolution available and it wasn't possible to even try another. That's the reason I tried another driver. And later I had to reset to 'fglrx' to be able to start GPL. Bur perhaps I had some glitch in my system so I'll try again later. Might take a couple of days before I can post a response on that.

#4 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted Aug 18 2017 - 12:47 PM

I just put my HD 7970 in the Linux mint PC and found it is the same: I can not change the resolution in CCC!

But it has the max resolution of my monitor...

#5 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Aug 19 2017 - 03:56 AM

Interesting. Will check it out. What would the optimal settings in GEM (Rasterizer) and the resolution setting in the original game be to get the HP deliver full resolution?

#6 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted Aug 19 2017 - 04:03 AM

I use the display port and get the native resolution.

OpenGLV2 is my rasterizer and all 3D settings in CCC are set to high values manually.

#7 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Aug 19 2017 - 04:19 AM

Haven't got the Diaply cable and run with DVI Dual. But it shouldn't be any difference or?

I also use OpenGLV2 but there's a setting of resolution to the rasterzer in GEM. Have to try it out, but can't do any testing with the big screen until next week.

#8 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted Aug 19 2017 - 04:28 AM

The resolution in GEM do not work, only in game works...

Here a setting to have (german):

https://picload.org/...122047.jpg.html

Edited by Cookie, Aug 19 2017 - 04:31 AM.

#9 MickeK

MickeK

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 140 posts
    Foto & film
    and GPL

Posted Aug 19 2017 - 04:36 AM

But is there any differnce using DVI Dual or a Display ports? To me it's exactly the same. Have I missed anything? Stupid to buy otherwise.

#10 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted Aug 19 2017 - 05:54 AM

I've no idea, but I found the thread in HP forum...

A DP cable costs less than 10€ here and has sound included...

https://h30434.www3....p/421577/page/4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links