Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Classic Sports Cars
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jan 31 2018 - 09:15 AM

Fellow enthusiasts, I know this is an old thread but the topic is still very interesting.  60fps would likely be the design target if GPL were developed during the last 10 years rather than in 1998 or so.  I think it is generally accepted that gpl looks much better at 60fps than at 36, so the focus on how to get this to work still seems worth the effort.

I don't have the gpl / programming design skills to build another 60 fps patch so my approach has been to read everything I can find on the subject and start experimenting from there.  I don't race online so my focus has been on racing against the AI.  Others of you have described the 60fps AI problem and a reasonable summary is probably as follows:  (1) the AI are too quick off the line at the start of the race; (2) the AI are too fast in slow corners; (3) the AI are too slow on long fast straights; and (4) last but not least  ... they are way  too aggressive almost everywhere if you try to speed them up to normal lap times.

Several great suggestions have been put forth that solve some of the problems: (a) use the 60fps ai1v patch (it adjusts the track parameters to try and adjust for the frame rate difference and seems to run on all mods); (B) reset the AI parameters in GEM 2 to about .85 to speed up the AI average lap speed to something close to the 36fps levels and live with the rest of the over under problems (i.e. start from the back of the pack and enjoy passing a good portion of the field during a short to medium level race).

I have experimented with a few other adjustments that seem to improve the situation substantially.  First off use the 78 patch in GEM 2 that slows the AI in the corners by 10% (78l Ai Speed Control V2) ... this could even be 15 or 20% for our purposes.  Secondly, go to the driver.ini for the installation that you have (e.g. one overall installation; individual installation per mod; or race specific for the 55 MOD or the 67 Historical Mod and adjust the aggressiveness index for each driver in the field to approximately 80% of its current value.  These values are typically, aggression = 1.030000 or less and change them to 0.824000 or less.  Adjust every driver in the potential field (usually 19 in total).  The net result is substantially better than before but still not perfect.  Hunt for driver,ini or driver55,ini or driver65.ini etc.; they all open with notepad.  You should make a copy of each driver.ini before you start experimenting ... just to be safe.

Typically the tracks with the most extremes (fast straights leading into very slow corners) have the most problems.  These two additional corrections reduce the number of crashes caused by the AIs and allow for a reasonable race with much lower probability of you being "taken out" by the aggressive AI before the race is over.  Rouen is a great track to test on due to its very fast straights leading into very slow corners.  I'm still experimenting ... maybe more to follow!

At 80% the AI are still pretty agressive but not ridiculas; ... there is a happy medium that is a best compromise for each individual track but one overall setting across all of the many gpl tracks is a much greater challenge.  Greg's race specific car sets for the 55 mod is an ideal solution space, because you can adjust each track separately ( i.e. each track has its own driver55.ini file); unfortunately not every Mod has this feature.

Thanks for your time, hope this helps some of you to better enjoy racing the AI in gpl at 60fps.  As in real racing, the further down the track you can focus, the faster you can drive.

Roger

#22 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Feb 06 2018 - 08:36 AM

A follow up on my last post (#21) re: 60fps AI racing.  The scenario described above applies mostly to F! cars and tracks from the 55,65,67, and 69 Mods.  To better understand the overall challenge of using the 60fps ai1v patch I ventured away from F1 and towards CAN AM (71 and 66 Mods).  I started by setting the GEM 2 AI at .85 (this speeds up the AI by maybe 15 to 20%) and turning on the 78l Ai Speed Control V2 (this has the effect of slowing the AI down a little).  The result was different than I expected!

The 71 CAN AM cars were too slow in the corners but OK on the straights ( I turned off the AI speed control patch in GEM 2)?   Mid Ohio CA71 was a little slow as was Road Atlanta 71 at the .85 GEM 2 AI setting.  I adjusted the dlong_speed_adj_coeff in the respective CAtrack.ini files up about 5% for those two tracks and enjoyed the racing.  The 10 championship courses for the 71 Mod are generally more wide open and have less severe corners than most of the F1 courses (Mosport being an obvious exception): that may be part of the explanation for the reduced incidence of AI crashes.

The 66 CAN AM cars ran best with the GEM 2 AI set at 1.00 and the 78l Ai Speed Control V2 turned off.   In other words, just using the 60fps ai1v patch as is?  That includes using the special gpl_ai,ini supplied with the patch (on all Mods).  I tested on the 6 championship tracks recommended in the 66 MOD plus Nassau.  I read elsewhere that this mod needs to be run with the Gem 2 AI set at 1.0.  I'm not sure why this still works with the 60fps patch but that seems to be the case?

Both CAN AM fields are set with a wide performance difference slowest to fastest drivers & cars and this may have contributed to a reduction in AI crashes?  The wide open tracks may have also been a factor ... I decided not to adjust the driver aggression stats.  

I'm not sure I fully understand these results but the implication seems to be ... that all Mods are not created equal?  The race starts (at 60fps) are faster than I'd like on both CAN AM Mods, but other than that you can have a pretty good race against the CAN AM AI with the above suggested settings.

My testing objective is to have the AI field approximately half above and half below a comfortable personal qualifying speed.  Also factor in to your understanding that I'm probably an average GPL driver.  If you are faster or slower you may have to adjust the GEM 2 AI factor or the
dlong_speed_adj_coeff, appropriately.  Instead of adjusting the GEM 2 AI you can also directly adjust the NPT_override setting found in the 60fps modified gpl_ai.ini file.  On the base 1967 program the GEM 2 adjustment does not seem to work, so you have to resort to a direct NPT adjustment..

I hope this information helps; if you get different results let me know.  I am still pursuing the 60fps quest ... i'll post again if I come up with anything else that may be useful.

Roger

#23 mysterion

mysterion

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted Feb 07 2018 - 08:24 AM

Hi Roger,

I just wanted to thank you for your work on this issue which has really plagued my offline experience of GPL at 60fps (which I agree is the only real acceptable baseline now).

Strangely I never really had any 60fps AI issues until I installed the Gpl 67 Patch V1.3  - I actually thought I was improving at Spa until I realised the AI were just dog slow!

Please do post any further findings you discover.

- David

#24 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Feb 07 2018 - 09:56 AM

David,

Thanks for the encouragement!

Good solutions seem to be MOD specific and in some cases track specific within Mods.  Increasing overall track AI performance seems to bring with it increased driver aggression.  On some tracks it is severe enough that you have to drive extremely defensively to avoid being "taken out" by the AI.  Controlling driver aggression (at those tracks) seems to be one of the larger challenges.

Roger

#25 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Historic motor sport, sailing, astrophotography

Posted Feb 07 2018 - 09:57 AM

You can mitigate against very aggresive AI by raising their Awareness values. It makes them less likely to crash into you.

#26 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Feb 07 2018 - 10:38 AM

JonnyA,

Good to know!

Any idea how sensitive the attribute is?  Setting the AI at .85 (in GEM 2)  seems to be a common 60fps adjustment (1.00 / 0.85 = 17.6% increase in AI adjustment value); does alertness need a similar percentage adjustment to reduce crashes?  Also what else does this attribute effect?

Thanks,

Roger

#27 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted Feb 07 2018 - 02:33 PM

Try awareness values around 1.2

#28 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Feb 08 2018 - 10:31 PM

This represents the next step in the continuing process of converting my GPL Mod collection to 60fps (a follow up on posts #21 and #22).  I decided to tackle the 1967 Historical Mod in all its magnificent splendor.    This very large collection of different cars / drivers / tracks all need to be addressed in some way to make 60fps work.

I decided a game plan was in order:

(1) Take one or two tracks I know rather well and see how the AI react to the 60fps ai v1 patch combined with the 78l Ai Speed Control V2 Patch.  This combination of patches seems to work best on F1 cars and tracks and should serve as a baseline for development ... at least this was my hope.  

(2) From this mini test formulate a larger approach (if it still made sense) to the 18 or so tracks included in the mod; This assortment of tracks has 7 different sets of cars available based on the time of year the race was held.  It also has three different sets of driver lineups.

(3) Test for an overall Gem 2 AI setting for all 18 tracks ... if one exists.

(4) If one general Ai setting is close (e.g..85, or .90, or .95, or 1.00 etc.), then test (through AI simulation qualifying sessions) for needed  adjustments to the dlong_speed_adj_coeff in the respective 18 track67.ini files.  I chose to target Ai pole position values at 10% above published Rank Historic hot lap times.  These times are generally close to the actual pole position times recorded for the races we are discussing.  For the non championship races I used the actual pole position times plus 10%, as I could not find the Historic Rank times for those tracks.

(5) if adjustments to driver.ini files are necessary; figure out how to handle the 3 sets of driver lineups included in the Mod ... I was hoping against all hope that this step was not necessary as these tracks share driver lineups and getting a good compromise between tracks might prove to be very difficult.

Long story short, step (5) was not necessary!!!!!! :D

I probably ran 90 or so simulation qualifying sessions using novice race specs and advancing the 15 minute qualifying time through the advance box tab.  It only takes a few minutes, under this process, to determine an AI qualifying field.  Again my target was to get the top AI qualifyer to be about 10% above the Rank Historic Time for the track.  Each track was adjusted individually to operate under one overall Gem 2 AI value.  I chose 1.00 (after much additional testing) as my Gem 2 AI adjustment value; individual adjustments to the track67.ini dlong_speed_adj_coeff (s) were generally within 5% of the original values.  This process generally puts me mid field during qualifying.  If you are faster or slower you will have to adjust accordingly.  For instance, if you can set repeatable Rank Historic qualifying times, GEM 2 AI would be set to approximately .90 and you would vie for pole position in every race.

This process then allows one overall future adjustment of the Gem 2 AI value to effect all 18 tracks equally.  This whole simulation / adjustment process took about 8 hours of work but the results were well worth the effort.  As I improve, I can adjust the whole 67 Historic Mod through one Gem 2 AI value ... in just seconds.  GEM 2 remembers the AI value from race to race, because it is attached to the mod unique driver name.  I basically race at 60fps just like I did at 36fps; I'm also able to increase both detail level and screen resolution without any additional stability issues.

This all sounds more complicated than it really was to execute.  The hard part was figuring out the process.  Knowing what I know now, I could repeat this whole process in less than half the time.

The saving grace was that I did not have to adjust the aggression or awareness indices of each driver.  Tampering with these indices would have increased the effort level substantially.

I again, hope this helps those of you that are considering a similar journey.  I'm slowly converting my 12 GPL Mods to all be 60fps AI capable.

Roger

#29 pioujd428

pioujd428

Chris

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:1967 and 1968

Posted Feb 09 2018 - 12:52 AM

This looks interesting Roger. When I get a chance I will try and follow your steps to see if I can get the ai to work reasonably for myself at 60fps.

Maybe you could post your track67.inis and other files you have edited? I think I would like their speed the same as what you have set.

#30 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Feb 09 2018 - 03:14 AM

pioujd428,

Here are the pertinent data:
<
Track /    car set number   / dlong_speed_adj_coeff (in track67.ini)   /   target AI pole position
Kyalami67/ 1 /    1.06400  /    91 sec
Brads /    1 /    1.03000  /   102 sec   
Oulton -Spring  / 1 /    1.01000  / 101 sec
Silver2Express / 1 /    1.01000  /   100 sec
Moncane / 2 /    1.00410  /   103 sec
Syracuse / 2 /    1.05500  /   111 sec
Zandvoort / 3 /    1.07220  / 96 sec
Spa 67  / 3 /    1.09300  /    227 sec
Bugatti / 4 /    1.01000  /   110 sec   
Silver /    4 /    1.00500  /   100 sec
Nurburgring / 5 /    1.01800  /    552 sec
Mosport /    5 /    1.04000  / 91 sec
MosportRain / 5 /    0.96000  / 97 sec   
Monza  / 6 /                          1.13000  / 99 sec
Oulton2- Gold Cup /   6 /    1.04200  /   101 sec   
WatkinsGlen  /    6 /    1.07500  /    74 sec   
Mexico  / 7 /    1.01000  /   123 sec   
Jarma  /   7 /    0.95500  / 97 sec
Kyalami 68  /   7 /    1.03200  / 91 sec
>
This should save you hours of testing.  It is possible that I may have a different version of one of these tracks from your version.  If you get unusual results during racing, consider retesting that track.  I have updated my tracks for AI and other  improvements when I find a relevant update ... this could possibly change one or more of the above listed values.  As an example ... Oulton has several different versions / improvements available.

The track67.ini values listed above are the key to my 60fps 1967 Historical set up; if you have any other questions let me know.

Best of luck and good racing,

Roger

Edited by Roger_F, Feb 10 2018 - 10:12 AM.

#31 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Feb 09 2018 - 03:21 AM

pioujd428,

I had this in table form but the post unraveled the table.  I guess I need to learn how to take a picture of the table?

Roger

#32 Cookie

Cookie

Chris Amon Fan

• Members
  • 865 posts
  • Interests:Historic Motorsport, F1, MotoGP

Posted Feb 09 2018 - 04:13 AM

You can keep the table posting it in a code < >

#33 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Feb 10 2018 - 10:22 AM

To all who are interested,

I updated my post #30 to include the target pole position times for the 60fps AI.  These data will be useful in trying to recreate a 60fps version of the 1967 Historical Mod.

This is truly a wonderful Mod ... thanks to all who participated in its creation.   It looks even better at 60fps and higher levels of screen resolution.

Roger

#34 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Feb 13 2018 - 09:10 AM

This is part of my continuing series on the Mod by Mod conversion of GPL to a 60fps format.  Using the same process detailed in post #28, I reworked the 1967 SCGT MOD and the 8 tracks that use race specific car sets.

As with the other "non F1 Mods" this mod likes the 60fps AI v1 patch WITHOUT the AI patch that reduces cornering speeds by 10%.  If you have been following this thread ... that is the same result that was experienced in the 66 and 71 CAN AM Mods.  The GEM 2 AI setting centered on 1.07 (i.e. the mod is a little too fast even with the 60fps ai V1 patch.  Here are the tracks / pole positions / and delong_speed_adj_coef data:

<
1967 World Sport Car Championship/   
(GEM 2 AI set at 1.07)/
Track/ Actual Pole Position (in sec)/    Target Pole= +10% (in sec)/ delong_speed_adj_coef/                                                                                                                                              
1.  Daytona/   115/ 127/   0.9776/
2.  Sebring 67/   168/ 185/   0.9021/
3.  Monza 10K/ 174/ 191/ 1.0163/
4.  Spa 67/    216/   238/   0.8860/
5.  Targa Florio/    2232/ 2455/    0.9050/
6.  Nurburgring/    512/ 563/   0.9550/
7.  Bsarthe/   204/ 224/   0.9143/
8.  Brads Hatch 67/   96/ 106/    0.9750/

>
Since the AI are slowed down slightly at a GEM 2 setting of 1.07 (1.00 is normal; higher is slower), the need for the adjustments to driver aggression and alertness did not seem necessary.  If you do decide to adjust these driver attributes bear in mind that each of these 8 tracks has its own separate driverGT.ini (ii.e. you will have to adjust each track specific driverGT.ini separately; there are 8 of them).

If you run additional tracks, there is a general overall driverGT,ini for all tracks other than these 8.  This overall driverGT.ini already has the aggression indices set at 0.800 (as opposed to the general 1.000 range normally used).  If you feel the AI are still too aggressive you can set the alertness indices to 1.200 across all 19 AI drivers for additional prevention against AI crashes.

These 8 tracks had one of the larger spreads in delong_speed_adj_coef adjustment that I have experienced; namely 10% from low to high.  3 of the 10 tracks needed significant adjustments from the norm of 1.07.  I'm sure the developers of this excellent MOD adjusted these tracks at 36 fps, so the 60fps AI v1 Patch must be having a divergent effect on AI performance?  As you add additional tracks, keep this in mind .... you may have to reset the delong_speed_adj_coef (in the  trackGT,ini file) on the tracks you add.  The other settings suggested here should work for all new tracks.

If this post does not make sense to you, I suggest you reread my prior posts that describe the reasoning and processes behind these suggested adjustments ... still unsure, send me a question and I will attempt to explain further.

Hope this information helps ... more to come,

Roger

Edited by Roger_F, Feb 13 2018 - 09:28 AM.

#35 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Feb 21 2018 - 09:53 AM

My latest 60fps conversion is focussed on the 1966 F1 Mod.  As in previous posts, I used the the 60fps ai1v patch and the 78l Ai Speed Control V2  patch.  This seems to be a good starting point for all F1 / F2 Mods.   After some testing I determined that the GEM 2 AI needs to be set at .90.  Once you get much below 1.0 for GEM 2 AI you also need to reset the driver aggression data to 80% of their current values (standard is around 1.020 new values will be around 0.820) for each of the 19 AI drivers.  These data are in the driv66.ini file ... in the 66 Mod one files controls all tracks.  JonnyA also suggests that you can reset the driver alertness settings to the 1.2000 range for additional crash avoidance ... this also helps!

After completing the above, open up the attached chart and apply the revised delong_speed_adj_coef data to each track66.ini file.  While you are at it, you should also set the max coef to 2.5000 and the statistics reference value to a few seconds over the target pole position.  This needs to be done for each track referenced in the attached chart.

You are almost done ... run a simulated qualifying session for each track to make sure your target AI pole positions are close to target values and enjoy racing at 60fps.  I have found that I can run at max screen resolution for my screen, highest detail levels for most tracks and 60fps with only a slight drop in frame rates at the start and a full 60fps for the whole race.

If any of this seems confusing, I suggest you reread my prior posts in this thread and if still concerned drop me a line and I will try to help you individually. I am basically applying the same methodology to each of the 12 or so Mods I have in my GPL installation.  This methodology is detailed in prior posts.

Roger

Attached Files

Edited by Roger_F, Feb 22 2018 - 12:59 AM.

#36 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Feb 25 2018 - 11:37 AM

Attached File  UO1965 F1 Mod001.jpg   89.17K   37 downloadsSince the 1965 F1 mod is so similar, physics wise, to the 1966 F1 mod I reused some of the same words to explain the conversion to 60fps.  As in the previous post (on 1966F1 Mod) , I used the the 60fps ai1v patch and the 78l Ai Speed Control V2  patch.  This seems to be a good starting point for almost all F1 / F2 Mods.   After some testing I determined that the GEM 2 AI needs to be set at .90 (same as the 1966 F1 Mod) .  

Once you get much below 1.0 for GEM 2 AI you also need to reset the driver aggression data to 80% of their current values (standard is around 1.020 new values will be around 0.820) for each of the 19 AI drivers.  These data are in the driv65.ini file ... in the 65 and 66 Mods :one files controls all tracks.  JonnyA also suggests that you can reset the driver alertness settings to the 1.2000 range for additional crash avoidance; this also helps substantially!  Try one or both adjustments and see which one you like best.

After completing the above, open up the attached chart and apply the revised delong_speed_adj_coef data to each track65.ini file.  While you are at it, you should also set the max coef to 2.5000 and the statistics reference value to a few seconds over the target pole position.  This needs to be done for each track referenced in the attached chart.

You are almost done ... run a simulated qualifying session for each track to make sure your target AI pole positions are close to target values and enjoy racing at 60fps.  I have found that I can run at max screen resolution for my screen, highest detail levels for most tracks and 60fps with only a slight drop in frame rates at the start and a full 60fps for the whole race.  The 65 cars were about 1% to 2% slower than the 1966 F1 cars and that was reflected in my data for "target pole positions."

In my installation of the 1965 F1 Mod I also have the 1964 through 1968 Tasman Series Cars.  Physics for the 64 through 66 Tasman cars are from the 65 F1 Mod and the 67 and 68 Tasman Cars use the 67 FD physics (F1 chassis with the 2.5 litre race engines).  Interestingly, both Tasman groups are a little faster that they should be on multiple 65 tracks ( I tested at East London, Silverstone, and Watkins Glen).  In order to get reasonably correct target pole positions I had to use Gem 2 AI values of .97 for the 64 through 66 group and 1.07 for the 67 and 68 group.

I did not adjust aggression, alertness or track track pole times for the Tasman Cars at this point in time.  There are too many tracks that these cars can run on to make this task reasonable.  Trying to find target pole times for the Tasman Series also seems to be extremely difficult ... if not impossible.  I adjust the tracks by feel as I race on them.  If I consistently qualify at the front of the pack I speed up the AI; If I consistently qualify at the back of the pack, I slow them down: using the delong_speed_adj_coef  in the respective track65.ini file.  Most Tasman tracks have less abrupt transitions than the typical F1 track ... so AI crashes seem to be less of a problem.

If you need more of an explanation  I suggest you reread my prior posts in this thread and if still concerned drop me a line and I will try to help you individually. As I've said before, I am basically applying the same methodology to each of the 12 or so Mods I have in my GPL installation.  This methodology is detailed in prior posts.

Roger

Edited by Roger_F, Feb 26 2018 - 07:30 AM.

#37 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Mar 08 2018 - 10:37 AM

Attached File  UOF2-67001.jpg   73.5K   47 downloadsAttached File  UOF2-68002.jpg   66.42K   46 downloadsMy next 60fps conversion target is the 1967 (and 1968 ... more on this later) F2 Mod.

Since the 1967 F2 mod is similar, physics wise, to the 1965 F1 mod, I have reused some of the same phraseology to explain the conversion to 60fps.  As in the previous post (on the 1965 F1 Mod), I used the the 60fps ai1v patch and the 78l Ai Speed Control V2  patch.  This seems to be a good starting point for almost all F1 / F2 Mods.  

After some testing I determined that the GEM 2 AI needs to be set at .97 (this is less of an adjustment than was required for the 1965 F1 Mod).   1.00 is standard for GEM 2 AI and generally needs no adjustment if the delong_speed_adj_coef data is also close to 1.00000.  Once you get much below 1.0 for GEM 2 AI you need to reset the driver aggression data to 80% of their current values (standard is around 1.020; new values will be around 0.820) for each of the 19 AI drivers in each F2 race year.  If the delong_speed_adj_coef data for each trackF2.ini file goes much over 1.00000 you also need to adjust the Aggression and / or the Alertness indices in the drivF2.ini (1967) and dr68F2.ini (1968) files.  Try 1.2 for the driver Alertness indices if the aggression adjustment is still too crash prone for your tastes.   This interesting bit of data on Alertness came from JonnyA on a previous post in this thread.

If you study the attached tables for 67 F2 and 68 F2 you will see about a third of the tracks fall into this adjustment criteria range?  I'm not sure why this is occurring but it is clear that this group of tracks were not collectively adjusted for the F2 mod.  Since one general driver.ini file controls the whole collection of tracks for each race year, the previously described adjustment is necessary for both the
drivF2.ini (1967) and dr68F2.ini (1968) files (this is 19 AI drivers to adjust for each race year ... 1967 and 1968).

This is probably a good time to introduce the excellent 68 F2 addition to this mod by Jonathan Abbott (username JonnyA).  This addition uses the physics of the 67 F2 Mod but includes the cars that actually competed in the 1968 F2 Season to correct detail for 1968.  The result is a separate 68 season that can be matched against the actual tracks used in the 1968 F2 championship and non championship venues.There are 3 unique tracks in the official 1968 Championship races (that are different from 1967) and about 4 unique tracks in the non Championship races.  JonnyA's new 1968 carset is outstanding visually and (in my opinion) noticeably improves the mod.   New drivers are defined for 1968 and an excellent new car set, that is historically accurate, give us a complete new season to enjoy.  Though the 68 addition uses the same physics it only includes the cars that were carried over to 1968; the net result is a somewhat faster AI field for 1968.  Many many thanks, JonnyA!!!

After completing the above suggested changes, open up the two attached charts and apply the revised delong_speed_adj_coef data to each trackF2.ini file.  While you are at it, you should also set the max coef to 2.5000 and the statistics reference value to a few seconds over the target pole position.  This needs to be done for each track referenced in the attached two charts.  There are a few non Championship tracks that I chose not to include in my two, race year set up.  If you want to include them follow the procedures outlined in previous threads in this topic.  If you still need help drop me a line and I will walk you through the process.  You are almost done ... run a simulated qualifying session for each track to make sure your target AI pole positions are close to target values in the two charts and enjoy racing at 60fps.

Additional tracks will need new target pole position data to follow the process.  A google search will usually yield either non championship "best lap" or "pole position" F2 data; convert to seconds and add 10% and your ready to roll.  There were 16 non championship races in 1967 and 7 races in 1968.  Not all of these tracks are available in GPL and some are better tracks to race on than others.  I roughly split the non championship races between 67 and 68 with no repeats in my final set up.  I left out a few tracks for various reasons.

If you have been following this thread you should now have quite a good collection of 60fps capable GPL Mods ... more to come.

Roger

Edited by Roger_F, Mar 08 2018 - 10:50 AM.

#38 JonnyA

JonnyA

Perry McCarthy

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted Mar 08 2018 - 12:59 PM

*blushes*

#39 Sam

Sam

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:GPL, IRACING

Posted Mar 12 2018 - 03:21 AM

would you be able to upload .ini files for the 67 tracks at all please, having trouble adjusting parameters and getting it to work. cheers

#40 Roger_F

Roger_F

Fiero NStar V8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted Mar 12 2018 - 09:20 AM

Attached File  UOMex-67H001.jpg   167.07K   37 downloads           Sam,

Lets first try and make this instructional so we can help others who may be having similar problems.  If I were to download every file I have altered in this entire 60fps AI Tuning thread, the downloaded files would number several hundred and explaining where to put all those files would be a very interesting task ... to say the least.

For instructional purposes I have selected the Mexico track from the 67 Historical Mod.  The attached screenshot is from the file track67.ini located inside the track file Mexico. (1967 HISTORICAL / Tracks / Mexico / track67.ini).  I opened up this file with notebook and scrolled down to the sub category [ GP ].  Under this sub category [ GP ] are two values and attached explanations.  The current value of delong_speed_adj_coef = 1.05000 and this value needs to be changed to 1.01000.  the information following the " ; " is read only and does not affect the operation of GPL.

There is also a value for delong_speed_adj_maximum which is currently 2.38000 and this should perform slightly better if you reset this to 2.50000.  All GPL Mods need this set to 2.5000 for every track for the AI to shift at the proper times.  Since 2.38000 is so close to 2.50000 you could probably leave this unchanged but for future reference in other Mods this number needs to always be set at 2.50000!

Now each of the remaining eighteen (18)  1967 Historical file tracks have this same track67.ini file included therein.  Even though the "
track67.ini" file name is exactly the same in each track file the data included is unique to each individual track file.  The data located in the chart attached to my original post is relevant to the same place in each track67.ini file and you need to replace the original value with the new value provided in the chart included in the original post.  After replacing the value you need to "save" the file using the dropdown menu in the upper left hand corner of the header of the track file.  Do this 18 times and you are ready to roll.  You also need to follow the instructions for the GEM 2 AI file value plus any other instructions unique to the Mod post you are trying to replicate.

If I sent eighteen (18) track67 ini files (each with exactly the same name) some of you would likely struggle to match the right file with the right track ... changing two pieces of data in the same existing track.ini file (for each track) seems safer from an accuracy standpoint and easier from an execution standpoint.  if you don't  delete /  replace the file it will always be in the right place and the two numbers you change will allow the 60fps AI adjustments to work as planned.

I hope this helps ... if you still have problems send me another reply.

Best of luck,

Roger

Edited by Roger_F, Mar 12 2018 - 09:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links