- - - - -

Grand Prix Legends 15 Years Old This Month ?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 19 2013 - 08:16 PM

How long was Steve Smith's booklet, "Four Wheel Drift", included?

#17 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:Music & Light!
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Sep 20 2013 - 02:07 AM

I can't be certain but by a piece of luck whilst browsing some cycling magazines in WHSmith I noticed the picture of a 1960s F1 car, the Brabham I think it was, on the cover of PCGamer. Inside at the back was a brief article talking about Sierra's Budget release for £9.99 along with reviews for two other budget releases but absolutely cannot remember what they were. The review was so good, 92% or something IIRC and as I loved that era of motor racing it was a must buy. I wasn't a PC Gamer myself at the time so like other's here I also had to buy my first home PC in order to be able to play it, luckily I had recently had a job promotion. It came with Steve Smith's 'Four Wheel Drift' which I read many times over. I think it must have been about August / Sep 1999.

#18 MLGathome

MLGathome

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:simracing

Posted Sep 20 2013 - 03:00 AM

The Manual and Steve Smith's 'Four Wheel Drift' are still available on replacementdocs.com!

Enjoy the read.

Grand Prix Legends Manual:
http://replacementdo...ad.php?view.525

Four Wheel Drift:
http://www.replaceme...ad.php?view.524

Greetings, Marcel

#19 dangermouse

dangermouse

The mobile chicane

• Administrators
  • 5,955 posts
  • Interests:Errrrrr, GPL? :-)
    Music , computing, hi-fi, motor racing

Posted Sep 20 2013 - 03:10 AM

On sale £19.99 Dec 98 at Woolworths and couldn't use it as the matrox video card couldn't run it w/o stuttering. Had to wait quite a few years till I updated the computer and my Kyro 3 card could cope with gpl........

#20 TurboMan

TurboMan

Jim Clark - Gilles Villeneuve - Tazio Nuvolari

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:GPL, GTR2, Music

Posted Sep 20 2013 - 05:01 AM

View Postdavef, on Sep 18 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

When did you begin driving this great sim ? :D

I started playing this in June 2013. I was searching in the IGCD a game that contained the words Grand Prix. Wrote it on the search bar and saw the Grand Prix Legends title on the list. Something in mind pushed me to click there... and then... saw the cars. Fell in love inmediately. Feel the need of buying it and 2 weeks later my game arrived. I swear it's one of the best sims ever, and i won't stop using it. Then found all the mods :drool:

BTW, when was the 1st "official" release date of the game (not the demo)?
Was Sept. 27th 1998 as davef shows?

#21 David Wright Lo67

David Wright Lo67

Denny Hulme

• GTLW Crew
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:GPL, GTL and P&G

Posted Sep 20 2013 - 07:28 AM

I suppose you could say games have more than one birthday.  The day they go "gold" - files are frozen and the game is sent for manufacture and distribution by the publisher- and the release date, which will vary around the world.  We may have passed the gone gold birthday, but I suspect the release date birthday is still come.  From a customer/user point of view, the release date is arguably the most relevant birthday.

Edited by David Wright Lo67, Sep 20 2013 - 07:29 AM.

#22 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Sep 20 2013 - 08:29 AM

I subscribed to a mag called "Computer Gaming World".  At some point they shipped the mag in a celophane bag with a disk full of game demos and stuff.  In 1998 I installed a demo for GPL.  My PC at the time was a 80386 / 20MHz home-built.  On entering a GP car all I got was a very, very slow 'slide show' of a low-res car in the pits.

Three years later and cut to my next machine, a Pentium I / 1GHz and I was able to run GPL and fell in love.

Edited by gliebzeit, Sep 22 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#23 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,484 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Sep 21 2013 - 08:17 AM

my brother told me to came to the next Carrefour hypermarket store to find gifts to offer for Christmas 2000 . We were wandering between the long and large alleys without any ideas in mind.
  We crossed the video game area by inadvertance, not playing any , and not interested at all .
  Suddenly, my eyes got trapped  by a red ferrari F1 car on a big white box .It was impossible to miss it, because they built a kind of babel tower presentation of only GPL boxes (40 or 50 boxes together). Four Wheel Draft book included. Later, I learned that Sierra decided to sell already the great game in  a "nice price" second edition.

Having only a 200 Mhz Pentium PC at that time, the game cld install, but with no GFX cldn't get it to run . But by total happy coincidence, I was living with a girl that got a Packard Bell with a 600 mhz Pentium II and a 3DFX video card ! Got immediatly a Logitech Wingman formula Force ( still quite new on the box, because was soon replaced by a Speedway)

For our common misfortune, because it was later a cause of making her angry,and of resentment, I installed it on her PC.

It was largely enough to get the game running smoothly at 36 fps in 1280 X 1024 . But she didn't get a web connection, so that 's only mid 2001 that I discovered Legend Central and all the online GPL world, when I upgraded to a new PC at home. Maybe it is forgotten now, but a  3DFX gave a very sharpy and beautiful 3D rendering, with only 600 mhz.And no need to tweak something in the game.

I can say GPL changed manys hours of my life since, that wld have been occupied by others activities.... a lot less rewarding, for sure !!!  From a distance,don 't regret at all that GPL put a little contribution to a girlfriend loss.

Edited by M Needforspeed, Sep 21 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#24 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Sep 21 2013 - 09:16 AM

I think  it was about 1998/99 I got my first computer from PC World, and bought GPL soon after that, if not the same time. That was all there was, no four wheel drift or book. I downloaded those last year.All I ever drove was in the novice mode for years. I was unwell in 2007, and not having much to do I was trawling the net looking for motor racing sites and found SRMZ. I know that I've mentioned before that this helped me get through my illness. I found that the 1965 cars were the cars I could drive, the rest because of the speed made me dizzy. I drove the track promotion in 2011 and got a lot of advice and help from Saiph, Sven and others with regard to set ups. John Woods also helped me a great deal with set ups and advice. I'm slowly getting quicker and am trying to get onto all the mods ranking.

Edited by Andy Clegg, Sep 21 2013 - 09:17 AM.

#25 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 862 posts

Posted Sep 21 2013 - 10:37 AM

Glad you are getting better Andy!! Almost the same happened to me back in May 2001 (accute myocardial infarction that was worked out by the MDs, fortunately), and GPL helped me a lot to keep my mind busy with this hobby. Much cheaper than a shrink for sure ;)

#26 silence

silence

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted Sep 21 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostRemy, on Sep 19 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

I bought it in november 1998 before my first computer which cam for Xmas, 15 years of passion and many more to come :)

Reminds me of my situation back in 1998, no PC, but love of first sight with GPL. I Had to use the PC of my girlfriend to spin my first laps, always at night...First track I ever tried was Watkins Glen and after 15 years it's still a mystery for me being fast there.

GPL was my first racing sim and still is my only serious racing sim!

To the next 15 years :partytime:

#27 Greg Longfield

Greg Longfield

Jimmy Clark

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted Sep 21 2013 - 09:33 PM

I remember the downloadable demo was available a few months before the Australian release, it included the Brabham and Watkins Glen, maybe Monza as well ? In any case you couldn't change the setup on the car and was horrible to drive around the Glen ! Didn't stop the usual aliens (ex - Indycar Racing 2) to get some quick times, into the 1:06's I recall.

#28 Andy Clegg

Andy Clegg

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Long distance sports car racing. Touring cars.

Posted Sep 22 2013 - 02:29 AM

View PostArturo Pereira, on Sep 21 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

Glad you are getting better Andy!! Almost the same happened to me back in May 2001 (accute myocardial infarction that was worked out by the MDs, fortunately), and GPL helped me a lot to keep my mind busy with this hobby. Much cheaper than a shrink for sure ;)
This website is still the first I read every day. There was someone else that had a similar problem as us, I hope that they are doing as well as us. I get Motor Sport monthly and the author Christopher Hilton was asking for photographs. His books really helped me as well. We had some interesting conversations before he passed away.

#29 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

Denny Hulme

• 862 posts

Posted Sep 22 2013 - 05:00 AM

I was hooked with GPL from the start, but after I had that problema it helped me in other ways. Soon I was involved with 4 or 5 other guys with the idea of developing a mod for GPL, back in 2003. We opened a Yahoo email list and we went for it. The names were Paul Thurston, Richard Cooke, Phil Flack, John W. King and I think Bob Berman was also there from the beginning. Soon we got help from the GPLEA guys and many many other helpful gentlemen. The list would be huge. The developement of the 1965 F1 mod made me contact Dough Nye, who gave us a lot of informaiton about those years, and also from the 1950s.
I was a bit burned out in the ast 2 year, but I am involved with the GPL mods again. I would say this is more than a hobby. It´s a way of life :)

#30 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,484 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Sep 22 2013 - 06:06 AM

View PostArturo Pereira, on Sep 22 2013 - 05:00 AM, said:

I was hooked with GPL from the start, but after I had that problema it helped me in other ways. Soon I was involved with 4 or 5 other guys with the idea of developing a mod for GPL, back in 2003. We opened a Yahoo email list and we went for it. The names were Paul Thurston, Richard Cooke, Phil Flack, John W. King and I think Bob Berman was also there from the beginning. Soon we got help from the GPLEA guys and many many other helpful gentlemen. The list would be huge. The developement of the 1965 F1 mod made me contact Dough Nye, who gave us a lot of informaiton about those years, and also from the 1950s.
I was a bit burned out in the ast 2 year, but I am involved with the GPL mods again. I would say this is more than a hobby. It´s a way of life :)

I am happy, we are all happy of your true come back, Arturo !

welcome again to the Repository, too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links