• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted May 29 2014 - 06:08 PM

View Postezechiel47, on May 17 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

Hi jgf,

nothing like that on my install !
M65 doesnt work very well with the 60fps patch. But the only great issue is the top speed limit (only 180 km/h). Is the top speed normal on your install ?
What are the ai laptimes in practice and race at laguna ?
Could you send me your gplc65.exe ?
And afterwards, try that : delete your gplc65.exe and let gem rebuild it...

good luck

Ez

Haven't checked AI top speed.   Haven't fired up GPL in several days so working from memory, but in practice/qualifying at Laguna (Monterey Historics, not Laguna67) with the 65 F1 mod I run about 1:40, the best AI about 1:37 (I typically qualify 5th-8th);  in the race I will lap the field in a twelve lap race ...a note scrawled on an envelope lists "Laguna AI practice 1:37, AI race 1:59".  Without the 60fps patch AI race performance is consistent with practice times and I will finish mid-pack.  The exe has been rebuilt several times as I tried different 60fps patches and played with FOV.

Had similar results at Pebble Beach and Spa.

#102 Sash2006

Sash2006

Jo Siffert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Racing, music, etc.
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted May 31 2014 - 03:49 AM

Wow! Very good job. I think that grip reducing analogical of difference between grip on dry Spa and Ring and wet, isn't it?

#103 ezechiel47

ezechiel47

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 354 posts

Posted May 31 2014 - 04:37 AM

View Postjgf, on May 29 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

View Postezechiel47, on May 17 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

Hi jgf,

nothing like that on my install !
M65 doesnt work very well with the 60fps patch. But the only great issue is the top speed limit (only 180 km/h). Is the top speed normal on your install ?
What are the ai laptimes in practice and race at laguna ?
Could you send me your gplc65.exe ?
And afterwards, try that : delete your gplc65.exe and let gem rebuild it...

good luck

Ez

Haven't checked AI top speed.   Haven't fired up GPL in several days so working from memory, but in practice/qualifying at Laguna (Monterey Historics, not Laguna67) with the 65 F1 mod I run about 1:40, the best AI about 1:37 (I typically qualify 5th-8th);  in the race I will lap the field in a twelve lap race ...a note scrawled on an envelope lists "Laguna AI practice 1:37, AI race 1:59".  Without the 60fps patch AI race performance is consistent with practice times and I will finish mid-pack.  The exe has been rebuilt several times as I tried different 60fps patches and played with FOV.

Had similar results at Pebble Beach and Spa.

Hi,

Same issue (and a bunch of other ones) on some tracks. 65'mod doesnt like very much 60fps.
Try that :
-decrease a little bit the qualifying param (0.1 for instance) in the driv65.ini for each driver
-increase a little bit the hype param (0.2 for instance) in the driv65.ini for each driver
-increase a little bit the max_accel at the bottom of the gpla65.ini
-decrease a little bit the traction_circle at the bottom of the gpla65.ini
-adjust the global ai speed through gem (if necessary)

and then (last but not least), let us leave this topic and open another one elsewhere : otherwise some moderator could become angry :P (the topic is the gplweather patch !)

Good luck

Ez

PS
and thanks again to Lee for this marvelous addon !

Edited by ezechiel47, May 31 2014 - 04:39 AM.

#104 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, chess, classical music(piano concetos), computers, firearms, modern military history, motor racing, racing sims.
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Jun 28 2014 - 04:24 AM

Just a thought, Lee...

Would it be possible, on a server for on-line GPL racing, to invoke your weather patch on a time-delay basis?  Two scenarios...

1. Start dry and at a pre-determined time as defined by the GPL clock registering from zero at the start of the race, have the patch come into affect?  This feature would not necessarily be announced prior to the event.  The resulting chaos would be a treat to see whom could manage it best.

2. Start wet and do the reverse of the above?

Wishful thinking, right?  :)

PS: I suppose I could throw up the same question for off-line races but my primary interest would be for multi-player events.

#105 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Administrators
  • 1,666 posts

Posted Jun 28 2014 - 06:57 AM

Hi Manfred,

That was one of my original goals, but it isn't possible because GPL's fog effect is set only once early in the track loading process.  It can't be changed after the track is loaded..

#106 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, chess, classical music(piano concetos), computers, firearms, modern military history, motor racing, racing sims.
  • Sim interest:I have no preference

Posted Jun 28 2014 - 08:24 AM

Bugger!  :(

It would have been trĂ©s kool to have that feature.  TY for the qwik reply.

#107 Michkov

Michkov

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jun 28 2014 - 02:55 PM

View PostLee200, on Jun 28 2014 - 06:57 AM, said:

That was one of my original goals, but it isn't possible because GPL's fog effect is set only once early in the track loading process.  It can't be changed after the track is loaded..

Are you saying dynamic weather would be possible but the graphic engine wont allow it?

#108 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Administrators
  • 1,666 posts

Posted Jun 28 2014 - 03:45 PM

Yes.

#109 Alistair64

Alistair64

Jackie Ickx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:gpl
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Apr 25 2015 - 08:54 AM

Got a bit of a problem, the read me is opened by microsoft office which I don't have, so don't know how to install, Help!!

#110 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 3,104 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Apr 25 2015 - 09:01 AM

I've added a PDF of the readme in the first post  :wave:

#111 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:Motor racing

Posted Apr 19 2016 - 01:04 PM

Awesome patch, finally got to try it out!

Just wondering, can the EXE be modified so that asphalt has the same properties as dirt?

Surely there must be code which defines dirt as having both bumps AND dust, and just the dust properties could be ported onto the properties of an asphalt surface, for the purpose of creating water spray?

#112 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:GPL and GPL editing

Posted Apr 19 2016 - 03:50 PM

I have a feeling this was tried and it turned out to not be quite so simple as that since up to a point cars would make "spray" but beyond a certain number (maybe four or five, I forget exactly) you then don't get spray from each additional car. Presumably this limit was set for some reason when the game was first made, and I guess in normal circumstances you just wouldn't expect that many cars to be off track and creating dust at once, so it wasn't an issue.

Rob

#113 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,401 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted Jan 10 2017 - 09:14 AM

Lee's GPL Motorworks
http://gplmotorworks.gplworld.de

-> All of Lee`s programs, patches, and informations about Grand Prix Legends at one place.

#114 D_J

D_J

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted May 29 2017 - 05:06 AM

Great patch but is it only fog? What about rain?

#115 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Administrators
  • 1,666 posts

Posted May 29 2017 - 04:58 PM

View PostKeyser Zose, on May 29 2017 - 05:06 AM, said:

I thought this was covered before, but the answer is that making a track show rain requires modification of the track files themselves...it's not something that can be done with a patch to the physics to make all tracks show the rain effect.  Sure wish it could!  :)

Edited by Lee200, May 29 2017 - 04:58 PM.

#116 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted May 30 2017 - 12:34 AM

View PostKeyser Zose, on May 29 2017 - 05:06 AM, said:

FWIW, GPL was originally to have weather options;  basically as in Sierra's NASCAR sims - clear/cloudy/rain, wind speed and direction, adjustable for each race, and ambient temperature from a range in the track's ini file, also a random weather option.  A "historic season" option was also discussed, I don't recall how seriously, where each race would be hardcoded for its real world weather conditions.  But all was abandoned when the release date was moved from spring '99 to "before Christmas" '98.

#117 PMercal

PMercal

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Music ,Vinyls, Motors, Movies,Simulator

I installed GPL in October 1998 and it's been 20 years ..
    W GPL and W the GPL community

Posted Mar 12 2019 - 01:58 PM

In a newspaper of 1998 in which they anticipated the release of
Grand Prix Legends,
in an image, that I am attaching, weather options are "visible"

Attached File  Gpl Zeta 98.JPG   138.33K   54 downloads

Edit: forgot to attach image!

Edited by PMercal, Mar 16 2019 - 08:15 AM.

#118 rusticfire275

rusticfire275

Guy Ligier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Racing from 1967 to today
    Mountain Biking

Posted Jan 14 2020 - 11:07 PM

Okay. The patch looks good on all of my other carsets, but I am having trouble getting it to load on the 67gplsc set. So far I've tried it on sebring, le mans, and spa67, and it doesn't work with the sports cars, however I tried those tracks with the 66canam cars and 66gp cars and they work just fine.

I'm using OpenGLv2 and switched to the other v2 rasterizer and it still didn't work. I also

read the readme and I dropped the patch into each specific carset, but I'm having no luck. Can someone help me out?

#119 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Administrators
  • 1,666 posts

Posted Jan 15 2020 - 06:12 AM

PMercal, on Mar 12 2019 - 01:58 PM, said:

In a newspaper of 1998 in which they anticipated the release of
Grand Prix Legends,
in an image, that I am attaching, weather options are "visible"

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for posting that interesting image.  Yes, it seems there were a lot of enhancements that were thought about, but didn't make it into the released version.  GPL truly was ahead of its time.

#120 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Administrators
  • 1,666 posts

Posted Jan 15 2020 - 06:18 AM

rusticfire275, on Jan 14 2020 - 11:07 PM, said:

Okay. The patch looks good on all of my other carsets, but I am having trouble getting it to load on the 67gplsc set. So far I've tried it on sebring, le mans, and spa67, and it doesn't work with the sports cars, however I tried those tracks with the 66canam cars and 66gp cars and they work just fine.

I'm using OpenGLv2 and switched to the other v2 rasterizer and it still didn't work. I also

read the readme and I dropped the patch into each specific carset, but I'm having no luck. Can someone help me out?

By carset, I assume you mean mod.  The patch doesn't depend on a specific carset or mod an works with all of them.  The patch does have to be placed in each GPL installation directory though.  So if you have installed your mods to individual installations, then you will need to place the patch in each installation or in the GPL Secrets directory where it will work with all installations.

Did you delete your mod .exe before applying the patch?  Sometimes, GEM+ won't properly patch the new mod .exe unless the old one is deleted first.

Edited by Lee200, Jan 15 2020 - 06:18 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links