- - - - -

My New Steering Wheel - A Dream Come True!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Tormentor

Tormentor

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 14 2017 - 12:29 AM

After so many year with my Logitech Wingman FF, i had the chance to test a friend's Thrustmaster T300RS. It was amazing. One lap in Assetta Corsa in the Lotus49 on the Nordschleife, and i new this is getting expensive. So i've bought a Playseat Evolution, a used T300RS, T3PA-Pro Pedals, TH8A Shifter, new PC, PS4 Pro and set up my "racing room". I can tell you, GPL never was harder to drive. Clutch and H-Shifter adds so much on realism, but i stumbled over my own feets, literally spoken. Laptimes dropped ~ 2 to 4 seconds on average tracks, did'nt finished a complete lap on the ring till now. Feeling a little like 1998...
I've found a wooden Lotus shifter knob on ebay to replace that metal ball of the TH8A shifter, and now i finally got the missing part to make it more realistic than ever.

Posted Image

This is a dream come true. The wheel is made by Jakob Engineering in the UK. They make steering wheels for historic racing and idiots like me. They also made Brabham or Lola wheels or sell parts of cars, just have a look if you are interested.

So, how does ist feel while driving?

UNBELIEVABLE!

Edited by Tormentor, Jul 14 2017 - 12:34 AM.

#2 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jul 14 2017 - 01:57 AM

That wheel looks stunning!

I still play with a Xbox 360 controller but I'm saving for a wheel at the moment, things like this give even more motivation to get a nice setup like yours.

May I ask how much a custom made wheel like that goes for? I can't find any prices on their site.

Edited by Millennium, Jul 14 2017 - 01:57 AM.

#3 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Jul 14 2017 - 05:00 AM

:thumbup: :drool2: Wow! Great!
And I see you also have proper gearshifter lever :drive:

Edited by Pavel, Jul 14 2017 - 05:01 AM.

#4 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 14 2017 - 08:08 AM

Did you reduce the throw on the shifter too? I can't tell from the photo but remember the original one being really long.

From what i can see on the site the badge alone goes for £85 or £120 depending on which version (his looks like the 85 quid one from  what i can tell).
The full wheels sets seem to sell for over £300 - lotus elan is £325, mini cooper £360

To be honest, if you're going to spend that much on a wheel you might as well put the money into the hardware and try and make yourself and Open Sim Wheel ;) I think you can get them starting just over £800? For me if I ever had space to make a rig and enough money i'd do that and then try and get pedals / gear stick etc out of a real car and modify it. Not that i think that will ever happen but it would certainly be a lot cheaper than buying specially made sim stuff.

Mind you I only had the money for a £130 G27 in a sale so who am I to talk hahaha. And even then I don't like it much - the FFB is awful compared to my MOMO Racing but the downside to that wheel is the degrees of rotation is too small (and no clutch or shifter).

If someone could make a wrapper for the FFB that smoothes it out for the G27 that would be good. The stupid firmware logitech wrote for it is what ruins it. If you wrote a driver that benchmarked your wheel and then tried to alter the FFB sent to it to make it more linear that would help. However it would also mean that certain parts of the range of FFB have more resolution (and therefore detail) than others. Still, would be a vast improvement.

There used to be a really decent seat rig you could buy for cheap that I bought for work but I think they upped the price significantly now and I can't remember what it was called. You got a decent seat and rig for about £110, way cheaper than anything else similar. I'm kind of sad I never got one myself before they jacked the price up.

I think it was this: https://www.gtomegar...tor-cockpit-rs6
And it came with casters so £320 now at least - I can't remember if it came with the shifter mount but potentially £340 if so.

So basically they've added £200 to the price just because they knew they could. A bit shitty if you ask me. The seat isn't the best quality in that the cushion inside is too low but we stuffed it with packing foam and then it was fine. As a cheap and cheerful rig I was really impress with it but for that price it puts me in the mindset of just having to make my own.

Edited by one2fwee, Jul 14 2017 - 08:19 AM.

#5 tikfas

tikfas

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted Jul 14 2017 - 09:16 AM

@one2fwee,maybe you mean this
https://www.fk-shop....5gi2ugvnrqqmg41
Momo has better ffb than G27?? And G25???
With ffb2xml i think my g25 gives me feedback.

#6 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted Jul 14 2017 - 09:39 AM

Thanks you're right that's exactly what I meant - I couldn't remember what it's called! As you can see it looks very similar.
Even they have put their prices up but still a lot more reasonable.
I think we got it for less than £100 at the time - it was about €107-114 or something, i can't remember, but it was very cheap.

What's FFB2XML?

The momo is much more linear in FFB and doesn't have the giant minimum force deadzone.

Check out the posts I made here about it (with graphs):
http://srmz.net/inde...showtopic=11285

#7 tikfas

tikfas

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted Jul 14 2017 - 09:45 AM

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=4226
About the deadzone you are right!

#8 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,616 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Jul 14 2017 - 09:46 AM

ffb2xml by brr:

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=4226

tikfas .... you beat me by less than 1 second.   ;)

Edited by gliebzeit, Jul 14 2017 - 09:46 AM.

#9 tikfas

tikfas

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted Jul 14 2017 - 09:47 AM

yes!!!

Edited by tikfas, Jul 14 2017 - 09:52 AM.

#10 one2fwee

one2fwee

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted Jul 14 2017 - 11:11 AM

If ffb to xml is the normal FFB patch from Brr then I already have it. I think I had a newer unfinished beta version too but i'm not sure if that is available anymore. I can't check atm unfortunately.

Sadly it obviously doesn't help with the FBB deadzone / non-linearity (in fact I already used it with my momo racing) as it isn't meant for that.

Edited by one2fwee, Jul 14 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#11 Tormentor

Tormentor

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Jul 14 2017 - 12:33 PM

View PostMillennium, on Jul 14 2017 - 01:57 AM, said:

May I ask how much a custom made wheel like that goes for? I can't find any prices on their site.

With center badge, custom drilling to match the Thrustmaster wheel boss and finger guards (cost extra), the wheel is ~ 520€ without shipping incl.Tax. But don't tell my wife.

View PostPavel, on Jul 14 2017 - 05:00 AM, said:

:thumbup: :drool2: Wow! Great!
And I see you also have proper gearshifter lever :drive:

Jepp, but thats only a 20€ placeholder. Mark Davies also sells the "original" gear knob. Next pont on my to.do list.

View Postone2fwee, on Jul 14 2017 - 08:08 AM, said:

To be honest, if you're going to spend that much on a wheel you might as well put the money into the hardware and try and make yourself and Open Sim Wheel ;)

Yes, but one step after another. Building the monocoque is'nt THAT problem, it's getting expensiv when you try to get all the gauges working. We'll see.

Edited by Tormentor, Jul 14 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#12 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:I'm Way Too Addicted to GPL For Anything Else

Posted Jul 14 2017 - 07:39 PM

:jaw-dropping:   :wow:  :cool4: :drive1:

#13 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,225 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting

Posted Jul 15 2017 - 08:58 AM

Nice setup Tormentor.

#14 fastmule

fastmule

Dan Gurney

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:GPL of course.

Posted Jul 16 2017 - 06:39 AM

Nice man!

What adapter did you need to put that wheel on the base?

#15 Tormentor

Tormentor

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted Jul 16 2017 - 12:39 PM

Non, I've just just the original Thrustmaster part. The wheel is costum drilled to match this part. Will take some photos in the next days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links