gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jun 22 2018 - 09:38 AM

Well ... they return to Circuit Paul Ricard after a 28 year absence.   There were some good races there in the 70s and 80s.

I am a bit concerned about the short pit exit that dumps the cars right onto the racing line.  In the heat of good dicing, I hope that nothing untoward happens there.

#2 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,468 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Jun 22 2018 - 12:23 PM

Greg,

The come back of the father of alls the "modern" tracks !

I used to go there in the seventies and eighties, and to the last GP . The only advantages of the location was the quiet beauty of the land surrounding the track,a good chance for sunshine, and the mediterranean sea,to rest after practice sessions and the GP.Attendance was usually very poor for practice sessions,(even for the F1), and the walkaways were large,with manys areas to sit with good views without any need for a tribune ticket.    

In 1970, for the first international F2 opening race,the track had already automatic electronic signals,a large width course, perfect asphalt and very gentle kerbs all around.Pits, control tower and large building for VIP 's and press were ahead of their time ( in Europe, maybe not in your country ) , but contributed to the artificial feeling of the place.  

Infortunatly, Paul Ricard was the precursor with Nivelles in Belgium,Jacarapegua in Brasil,  of anesthesia tracks . It was praised, once completed, for its complete safety .Bad times were to come, and the track probably contributed to change F1 Motor racing .Returning here is not a revolution, but a confirmation of the immoderate taste of FISA and all the official mafia around, for boring courses.The "improvements" they have done since 1990 perhaps make the layout even worse.  

And we had natural non permanent courses,Clermont Ferrand or Rouen that cldn't host the GP !!

Edited by M Needforspeed, Jun 22 2018 - 03:12 PM.

#3 twinpotter

twinpotter

Richard "Dick"Seaman

• Supporter
  • 1,429 posts
  • Interests:Motor Racing
    Motorbikes
    computer gaming-

Posted Jun 22 2018 - 01:59 PM

Really looking forward to this gp, this weekend. It's about time, that F1 returned to France. The birth and headquarters of motor sport. As I've said numerous times, having no French go, was just wrong.

I believe, that one of the other French tracks, that could hold a gp, is Magny Cours. Which I believe is well away from any facility and was never liked.

Ah Jacarepagua I believe as been demolished now, due to the 2016 Olympics. How dare they 😁

As for Paul Ricard, the only reason they have gone back, is because of Bernie Ecclestone, who as the keys to the front gate 😁

TP

Edited by twinpotter, Jun 22 2018 - 02:03 PM.

#4 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jun 22 2018 - 02:19 PM

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't imagine a circuit that is more boring than this super flat test track.

#5 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,943 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Jun 22 2018 - 02:28 PM

It just doesn't look safe to me.  Besides the pit exit, the two layer tire walls will stop speeding cars with a huge gee force.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links