• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 j Behra

j Behra

Ayrton Senna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:sim racing, history, computers, literature, music, politics, nature and astronomy
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Apr 02 2021 - 02:27 PM

Hi everyone. Happy Eastern!

I need help for steering seetings in GPL something i never quite mastered. My Wheel has just 240 º degrees of rotation angle. In some tracks i find myself struggling for the best lines our missing the corners appex. I´m using mid linearity option ...should you recommend more our less linearity in the meny options?

Thks!
Regards

#2 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,980 posts
  • Interests:racing :)

Posted Apr 02 2021 - 03:41 PM

See my settings here (scroll down):
http://www.gplworld....tallation-guide

I have set linearity to the far left.

With only 240 degrees you could probably drive setups with a higher steering ratio, like 16:1.
I use 8:1 with 540 degrees.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Apr 05 2021 - 04:29 PM.

#3 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

Jim Clark

• Members
  • 3,974 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Muzzleloader Hunting
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Apr 02 2021 - 04:45 PM

Even though my wheel has 900 degrees. I just use 180 degrees and use 14-1 for a steering ratio. I want to go from lock to lock and not have to move my hands on the wheel. Like a kart.

#4 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,839 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Apr 04 2021 - 07:54 AM

The purpose of the in-game steering linearity setting is to enable user tweaking of the "linearity curve," which as I understand, (probably not very well), involves a coefficient and an exponent, (something like a=f/x2), in which when the slider is on left side the curve narrows almost to a point, (so the curve looks like a "V"), which is appropriate for wheel users, and as the slider is moved to the right the curve widens and looks like a "U."

The U-shaped curve has the effect on a non-wheel controller of softening the left/right, right/left transition during the middle of a turn. Otherwise, it is difficult for a non-wheel user to steer and cars will seem to them very very twitchy as if there is only one-way or the other and no middle.

Typically, keyboard users prefer a lot of linearity.

Wheel users do not suffer this non-wheel issue, so the appropriate linearity setting with a wheel is to the far left, which is zero/off/disabled. Some wheel users have reported here in the past preference for a little bit of linearity, often in the range of 3-6 clicks from the left, which will put just a little more U in the curve at 12:00 on the steering wheel.

Somewhere here is a formula for determining, given total degrees of wheel rotation, the in-game steering ratio that is most appropriate when the priority is "realistic feel."

Maybe someone remembers that or knows where it is?

Edited by John Woods, Apr 04 2021 - 08:03 AM.

#5 j Behra

j Behra

Ayrton Senna

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:sim racing, history, computers, literature, music, politics, nature and astronomy

Posted Apr 04 2021 - 10:43 AM

View PostStefan Roess, on Apr 02 2021 - 03:41 PM, said:

See my settings here (scroll down):
http://www.gplworld....tallation-guide

I have set linearity to the far left.

With only 240 degree you could drive setups with higher steering ratio, like 16:1.
I use 8:1 with 540 degrees.

Understood thks!

View PostPete Gaimari, on Apr 02 2021 - 04:45 PM, said:

Even though my wheel has 900 degrees. I just use 180 degrees and use 14-1 for a steering ratio. I want to go from lock to lock and not have to move my hands on the wheel. Like a kart.

Thats what i´m currently doing now. Perhaps it might be the best, only 90 degrees for each side; i set linearity  in the verys middle perhaps i should choose something between full left and the middle setting.

Thks!

#6 MLGathome

MLGathome

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:simracing

Posted Apr 04 2021 - 12:07 PM

The steering wheel calculation is as follows. Historical 540 degrees, 270 degrees left and right. With 30 degrees steering input gives a steering ratio of 270/9=9, 1:9.
Since your wheel is 240 degrees, 120 left and right. The steering ratio should be 120/30=4, 1:4. I believe the smallest value in GPL is 1:6.
Some drivers use the steering hack with low steering rotations. Unless you use a joystick, linearity should be to the full left.

Off course there is some personal preference inolved also.

Greetings, Marcel

#7 j Behra

j Behra

Ayrton Senna

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted Apr 04 2021 - 01:40 PM

View PostMLGathome, on Apr 04 2021 - 12:07 PM, said:

The steering wheel calculation is as follows. Historical 540 degrees, 270 degrees left and right. With 30 degrees steering input gives a steering ratio of 270/9=9, 1:9.
Since your wheel is 240 degrees, 120 left and right. The steering ratio should be 120/30=4, 1:4. I believe the smallest value in GPL is 1:6.
Some drivers use the steering hack with low steering rotations. Unless you use a joystick, linearity should be to the full left.

Off course there is some personal preference inolved also.

Greetings, Marcel

Salute Marcel.
Well my hardware is pretty basic a Thrustmaster t80 ferrari 488.
Ho can i set steering ratio in GPL?

THKS! :up:

#8 paul_v

paul_v

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:grand prix legends and mods

Posted Apr 04 2021 - 02:19 PM

I am happy using 540 degrees for steering and usually steering ratios in GPL of 8,9 or 10:1.

I have noticed on some tracks and cars that the car can dart or twitch around the steering centre,  although I generally use the linearity at the full left position one or two clicks to the right gives what feels like a touch of dead zone to me and sorts it out.

Might help in some circumstances.

Paul.

Edited by paul_v, Apr 04 2021 - 02:20 PM.

#9 MLGathome

MLGathome

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:simracing

Posted Apr 05 2021 - 07:12 AM

Steering ratio is on the first car setup page, right top, above the fuel setting and weight indication. 1:5 is the lowest setting.

Greetings, Marcel

#10 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,203 posts

Posted Apr 05 2021 - 07:53 AM

Wheel parameters are like car setups - whatever works for you is "correct".

I agree with Pete that 180deg is fine;  definitely not realistic, but in any sim we get so little of the feedback that we subconsciously process while driving in real life that we compensate however we can for enjoyment (I don't feel enough input from the car to be comfortable spinning the wheel like a bus driver in a rodeo).

#11 j Behra

j Behra

Ayrton Senna

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted Apr 05 2021 - 02:45 PM

View Postjgf, on Apr 05 2021 - 07:53 AM, said:

Wheel parameters are like car setups - whatever works for you is "correct".

I agree with Pete that 180deg is fine;  definitely not realistic, but in any sim we get so little of the feedback that we subconsciously process while driving in real life that we compensate however we can for enjoyment (I don't feel enough input from the car to be comfortable spinning the wheel like a bus driver in a rodeo).

Indeed as you can rely only in our eye not our back !
Still i would like to know how can i change the steering ratio in GPL. What´s the file?

#12 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Music & Light!

Posted Apr 05 2021 - 04:43 PM

View Postj Behra, on Apr 05 2021 - 02:45 PM, said:

Indeed as you can rely only in our eye not our back !
Still i would like to know how can i change the steering ratio in GPL. What´s the file?

You will find it (the steering ratio setting) in the setup screen whilst in the game, go to setups once you are at the track of your choice. You can change it there. You can also change it with whatever GPL setup utility you use outside of the game, if you use one.

View PostJohn Woods, on Apr 04 2021 - 07:54 AM, said:

The purpose of the in-game steering linearity setting is to enable user tweaking of the "linearity curve," which as I understand, (probably not very well), involves a coefficient and an exponent, (something like a=f/x2), in which when the slider is on left side the curve narrows almost to a point, (so the curve looks like a "V"), which is appropriate for wheel users, and as the slider is moved to the right the curve widens and looks like a "U."

The U-shaped curve has the effect on a non-wheel controller of softening the left/right, right/left transition during the middle of a turn. Otherwise, it is difficult for a non-wheel user to steer and cars will seem to them very very twitchy as if there is only one-way or the other and no middle.

Typically, keyboard users prefer a lot of linearity.

Wheel users do not suffer this non-wheel issue, so the appropriate linearity setting with a wheel is to the far left, which is zero/off/disabled. Some wheel users have reported here in the past preference for a little bit of linearity, often in the range of 3-6 clicks from the left, which will put just a little more U in the curve at 12:00 on the steering wheel.

Did you mean non-linear (which would actually be incorrect anyway), because linearity is to the left on the slide bar? Keyboard users should go as far to the left with their linearity setting as they feel comfortable with to drive. I had it full or very close to full left.

Edited by DuncanS, Apr 05 2021 - 04:43 PM.

#13 j Behra

j Behra

Ayrton Senna

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted Apr 06 2021 - 05:59 AM

View PostMLGathome, on Apr 05 2021 - 07:12 AM, said:

Steering ratio is on the first car setup page, right top, above the fuel setting and weight indication. 1:5 is the lowest setting.

Greetings, Marcel

Thank you Marcel!
Salute!

View PostDuncanS, on Apr 05 2021 - 04:43 PM, said:

You will find it (the steering ratio setting) in the setup screen whilst in the game, go to setups once you are at the track of your choice. You can change it there. You can also change it with whatever GPL setup utility you use outside of the game, if you use one.

Did you mean non-linear (which would actually be incorrect anyway), because linearity is to the left on the slide bar? Keyboard users should go as far to the left with their linearity setting as they feel comfortable with to drive. I had it full or very close to full left.

Thank you Duncan!

#14 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,839 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Apr 06 2021 - 06:23 AM

Hi Duncan!
Sure you are aware I get confused a lot.

Have understood with the in-game menu sliders, (number of cars, volume, detail, linearity), zero is on the left and all/100 is on the right.

Assumed some consistency there, which implied that far left on the linearity slider meant zero linearity, which would mean to the right 100% would be fully linear?

Now guessing maybe zero is in the middle of the slide bar?
Or it should be called the non-linearity slider?

The correct way to set linearity, (any type controller), is to begin with the slider full left, then test by moving the slider incrementally to the right until the car behaves in a manner that the user feels is appropriate to their driving.

In this way, the slider will be as far to the left as the user determines is good for them. The user makes the call as to what is right for them.

:)

Edited by John Woods, Apr 06 2021 - 07:00 AM.

#15 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted Apr 06 2021 - 08:36 AM

View PostJohn Woods, on Apr 06 2021 - 06:23 AM, said:

Hi Duncan!
Sure you are aware I get confused a lot.

Have understood with the in-game menu sliders, (number of cars, volume, detail, linearity), zero is on the left and all/100 is on the right.

Assumed some consistency there, which implied that far left on the linearity slider meant zero linearity, which would mean to the right 100% would be fully linear?

Now guessing maybe zero is in the middle of the slide bar?
Or it should be called the non-linearity slider?

The correct way to set linearity, (any type controller), is to begin with the slider full left, then test by moving the slider incrementally to the right until the car behaves in a manner that the user feels is appropriate to their driving.

In this way, the slider will be as far to the left as the user determines is good for them. The user makes the call as to what is right for them.

:)

No worries, it's easy to get confused with this John.

Linearity is when the slider is fully to the left (at zero as you describe it). As soon as you move the slider even one digit to the right, the input is starting to be read by the GPL physics in a non-linear fashion. The curve of non linearity increases the more you place the slider to the right until the maximum it can go (at 100 units). The properties of the curve of non-linearity are dictated by the formula used in GPL's physics as you have alluded to yourself.

Here is a graph posted a long time ago of GPL's linearity output. The Linear line is shown when the slider is placed fully left (at zero), the non-linear line shown is I presume when the slider is fully to the right at it's maximum (at 100).  Units 1-99 will fall between these two lines. To think of it as the degree or amount of non-linearity slider as you suggest, is a good way to think of it, with the understanding that fully left (at zero) is linear. Anything above that, even one unit, is then showing some level of non-linearity.

Sorry I don't recall who originally posted this graph to give credit to them.

Attached Files

Edited by DuncanS, Apr 06 2021 - 08:54 AM.

#16 GPLaps

GPLaps

GPLaps

• Supporter
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Apr 06 2021 - 08:59 AM

I use full linear, 300 degrees and a 10:1 steering ratio. Works best for me!

#17 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted Apr 06 2021 - 09:03 AM

View PostGPLaps, on Apr 06 2021 - 08:59 AM, said:

I use full linear, 300 degrees and a 10:1 steering ratio. Works best for me!

This is where it can get confusing, I understand why (because of the slider design in GPL). However there is only linear, or non-linear. There is no full linear. Linear is selected by zero on the slider. (You could say I use fully non-linear though (100 points [to the right on the slider]), or 1 point of non-lineariy, or 50 or 85, or 92 etc.

Edited by DuncanS, Apr 06 2021 - 09:09 AM.

#18 PTRACER

PTRACER

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Motor racing

Posted Apr 06 2021 - 09:08 AM

I use fully linear steering with 440 degree steering angle, but a few clicks to the right can help make the steering less sensitive at circuits like Monaco where you need to increase the steering ratio to get around the tight hairpins.

Going lock to lock is not ideal since you're scrubbing the tyres, which generates heat. Over about 45 degrees of lock in either direction, even with a 440 degree total rotation, there is less grip available as per below:

Attached Files

Edited by PTRACER, Apr 06 2021 - 09:13 AM.

#19 GPLaps

GPLaps

GPLaps

• Supporter
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Apr 06 2021 - 09:09 AM

View PostDuncanS, on Apr 06 2021 - 09:03 AM, said:

This is where it can get confusing, I understand why (because of the slider design in GPL). However there is only linear, or non-linear. There is no full linear. Linear is selected by zero on the slider. (You could say I use fully non-linear though (100 points), or 1 point of non-lineariy, or 50 or 85, or 92 etc.

I think everyone knows what i mean, full left slider.

#20 DuncanS

DuncanS

Jochen Mass

• Members
  • 491 posts

Posted Apr 06 2021 - 09:13 AM

View PostGPLaps, on Apr 06 2021 - 09:09 AM, said:

I think everyone knows what i mean, full left slider.

It is incorrect to think of a fully linear 'setting', there is either linear or not. Linear is a singular state. There are no degrees or amounts of linear.

This is what I think causes some of the wider confusion over the slider in the community. So to help prevent that for everyone it is better to think, like I say, that there is only linear or there isn't. Fully linear doesn't exist.

Another thing that causes the confusion is that when you first install GPL I think the slider is set midway as default, so 50 units of non-linearity. Papy should have made it be set to zero units (linear) at default.

Edited by DuncanS, Apr 06 2021 - 09:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links