• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 20 2017 - 05:57 PM

Hi All:

I have an online friend on fixed income that would love to try his hand at GPL, but the price that the game commands on eBay and Amazon is beyond his retirement income.  Didn't I see "somewhere" that there is a legal online version that can be downloaded and updated into the full game, or something like that?

If so, this might be something he can try his hand at.

Thanks for any input.

Old Simmer

#2 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Jul 20 2017 - 07:01 PM

Try here: http://srmz.net/inde...434
This is a page link to a download of the 2004 Demo.

See reading thru the thread you have to create an "Exports" folder to get the Demo to work.
(I don't recall ever doing this).
For sure I didn't with the French-version 2013 Demo.

For more GPL-related go here: http://www.gpllinks.org

And of course its fun to search and learn about things around here.

Edited by John Woods, Jul 20 2017 - 07:08 PM.

#3 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Mainly interested in two sims: GPL (and mods) and Nascar 2003 Season (and mods).

Posted Jul 20 2017 - 07:47 PM

Thanks John:

I'm trying to copy/paste links to a file as I learn/discover them.  It is quite a challenge to learn all the little tidbits one needs to know to successfully navigate within the GPL environs. GPL is also sprawled across the internet and if one doesn't know what to look for... a feller's out of luck. OH... and I'm afraid my old brain doesn't retain stuff as readily as it used to, also!

In all... lots and lots to learn!

Old Simmer

#4 Lalethor

Lalethor

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 253 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 21 2017 - 11:45 AM

Try this seller, this price maybe is not bad
https://www.amazon.i...nd prix legends

#5 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jul 21 2017 - 05:18 PM

Can't he borrow your cd to install the game?

I don't know if that falls under piracy or not, but since you only need the cd once...

Edited by Millennium, Jul 21 2017 - 05:20 PM.

#6 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Jul 21 2017 - 06:20 PM

OS, has your friend installed the Demo?

This would give the exact same opportunity to check out the 67s as a CD install. Think this is an easier way to go. Your friend could then decide about wanting to get farther into Grand Prix Legends.

:D

#7 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The answer man

• 2,243 posts

Posted Jul 21 2017 - 06:33 PM

Old Simmer - did you see my personal message to you here at the forum?

#8 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Jul 21 2017 - 07:57 PM

Hi All:

Thank you so much for your follow ups.

Seems to me there was enough information in the threads linked that he can get started. When I shared the thread links with him, he thanked me, but I didn't get the impression that he was going to follow through. Ah well, frankly, one has to be willing to root and gouge in order to noodle out the various tidbits for GPL from all over the internet... may be more piddle time than he's up for.  I still have lots of GPL things I want to install, learn, etc, but my available time is limited and has to be divided among my other interests, so, I can sort of understand where he's coming from.

Even though GPL is very piddle intensive, it has a great community and all of you seem to be so very helpful. IMHO, his loss for not joining in!

#9 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Jul 21 2017 - 08:00 PM

Bob:

Thanks so much for you PM. As you can see, though, I don't think my friend is inclined toward significant effort toward racing sims. (We actually know each other through railroad simulations!)

I think "plug and play" would be more to his liking and as we all know: GPL ain't plug and play!

Edit: Speaking of GPL... me thinks I need to head off to Spa or Reims or Silverstone, and crash my brains out trying to win it all in the first lap!! (I'm SO impatient at times!)

Later!

Edited by Old Simmer, Jul 21 2017 - 08:02 PM.

#10 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Jul 21 2017 - 09:06 PM

Surprised am I! Yup, I totally misinterpreted his reply. He went and did it!

He's got the Demo version up and functioning. He's not successfully installed the 55 mod as yet, and asked me for help. I'm way out of my league on this, having never tinkered with the Demo version, but I'm trying to determine just what he has installed thus far.

BTW: Tried to run with the big dogs at Silverstone in 1955.  Even though I am making the same turn speed as the top 5 or 10 going into the first turn... someone usually rams me from behind! Seems at Silverstone the AI almost drive like they're brain dead!!

All fer now!

#11 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,631 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Jul 22 2017 - 04:06 AM

Install 55 MOD over demo version is exactly the same than over your version. :rolleyes:
Only difference is that Demo has only one track installed instead of 11 :)

#12 Old Simmer

Old Simmer

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted Jul 23 2017 - 12:38 PM

I want to again thank all of you for your input and help. Through your input and links/etc, my long time train sim friend is now up and going with the full GPL! He can't wait to start adding some of the superb add-on content available for GPL. He's just become a member here, so hopefully he'll drop in and introduce himself.

Again, thank you much for your helpful attitude toward us that are much more casual in our approach to the GPL hobby as well as having much less understanding of the intricacies of GPL. With such a strong and helpful community, no wonder this sim has survived and going strong since 1998!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links