sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dirt Rally, watching real races, modeling
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 15 2018 - 03:28 AM

Thanks Leon and Stefan for reply.

Yes, win 10 is on my black list too from long time now. IE, I remember last year when after a major update most of programs and games doesn't recognize the gfx card at all! GPL went on CTD when trying to go on track, and many other system's issues occurred; after some investigation I found that disabling executable protections and a couple of other things I don't remember atm do the trick, but this time I haven't a clue... thanks microsoft for nice unwanted updates, good customers' support/information and always providing stable and friendly-user OS from long time now, LOL

#17 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,918 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Oct 15 2018 - 04:49 AM

I am running the latest Windows 10 version 1803 (See screenshot attached for exact build. To get this info on your Windows 10, use the search function and enter "Winver") on my race PC and two servers and luckily I don`t have any problem.
One time Pribluda was not working anymore after a big Windows 10 update but after another Windows 10 update Pribluda was working again.
Besides that I never had any problems.

Considering that GPL is 20 years old I am quite surprised that there are not more problems running GPL on Windows 10. ;)

Attached Files

Edited by Stefan Roess, Oct 15 2018 - 07:08 AM.

#18 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted Oct 15 2018 - 06:29 AM

I'm surprised too that a twenty year old program such as GPL runs at all.  In fact, it runs amazingly well on my new laptop.

Setting up Windows 10 for GPL is a bit of a pain, but only has to be done once.

#19 Tato

Tato

sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted Oct 15 2018 - 07:06 AM

View PostStefan Roess, on Oct 15 2018 - 04:49 AM, said:

I am running the latest Windows 10 version 1803

Considering that GPL is 20 years old I am quite surprised that there are not more problems running GPL on Windows 10. ;)

Same version here. So I'm wandering again in the not-a-clue-at-all-world... :wall:
Considering that GPL is 20 years old I am also quite surprised that such an old program is still up and running for most of the system, but I don't forget too that without Nigel Pattinsons contribution with new rasterizers probably the situation couldn't be the same; unluckyly, he leaved the scene 10 years ago, but I really miss his kindness and programming skill. :bigcry2:

#20 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted Oct 15 2018 - 08:07 AM

Tato, didn't your issue begin when you updated the Nvidia drivers?  If so, then it's not Windows 10 that caused the problem.

BTW, I'm running the latest Nvidia v388.73 drivers OK.

Yes, we miss Nigel and especially his v2 raterizers, but he's been gone for almost 10 years and not likely to return now.

#21 Tato

Tato

sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted Oct 15 2018 - 08:47 AM

View PostLee200, on Oct 15 2018 - 08:07 AM, said:

BTW, I'm running the latest Nvidia v388.73 drivers OK.

Hello Lee.

I'm runned Nvidia v388.73 drivers OK too. AFAIK, problems started with ver. 4xx.xx onwards.
BTW, latest version available to date for my card is 416.34 released 2018-10-11, that is WHQL too.

Anyway, since I've found a workaround toggling off AA and Digital Display to reach acceptable fps, I think I can survive with it for now; in the future, things can go worse but also better, who knows, in life never say never.

#22 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted Oct 15 2018 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the new Nvidia driver version info.  Think I'll stay away from v416.34 for now too.

I've been running detailed tests on my new laptop and am quite happy so far although it's got some quirks.  Basically, GPL runs at 36 fps with all the Nvidia and GPL graphics settings maxed out.  :)

With the Sports Car mod however, the fps drops to 24 to 30 fps at the BOG.  This happens at all tracks tested so far which is surprising.  After race start though, the fps increases to 36 fps.

What's weird is than neither gpu or the cpu is maxed out when GPL shows 24 or 30 fps.  So something else is limiting the fps at this point.

#23 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:AssettoCorsa,rFactor2,LiveForSpeed,Race07

Posted Oct 16 2018 - 03:15 AM

Hi Tato, and to anyone having FPS trouble with GPL Digital Display, I'd suggest to try Pribluda Version 1.1.2.1 ( http://srmz.net/inde...t=30#entry48129 ), which does all the thing GPL Digital Display does and a lot more extras, and no any performance impact at all with full grid and demanding track like targa florio (my pc is a 4 year old i5-4440 with AMD RADEON R9 270).

I uploaded a pribluda.ini configuration made for 1080p, you can find it here(with preview): http://srmz.net/inde...105#entry135246

Edited by SV3000, Oct 16 2018 - 03:16 AM.

#24 Tato

Tato

sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted Oct 16 2018 - 03:23 AM

thank You

#25 Tato

Tato

sinner, but simmer

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted Oct 16 2018 - 09:10 AM

View PostLee200, on Oct 15 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

Thanks for the new Nvidia driver version info.  Think I'll stay away from v416.34 for now too.

I've been running detailed tests on my new laptop and am quite happy so far although it's got some quirks.  Basically, GPL runs at 36 fps with all the Nvidia and GPL graphics settings maxed out.  :)

With the Sports Car mod however, the fps drops to 24 to 30 fps at the BOG.  This happens at all tracks tested so far which is surprising.  After race start though, the fps increases to 36 fps.

What's weird is than neither gpu or the cpu is maxed out when GPL shows 24 or 30 fps.  So something else is limiting the fps at this point.

Yes, Lee, I'm pretty sure it's a fact. I don't run any detailed test, but when I launch GPL it uses more or less same resources as per idle OS/2d/text/internet etc.; infact, cooling fans in my case doesn't accelerate - they not do more noise - and a couple of them don't even run for case and CPU cooling... if and how could be possible to force GPL to use all CPU/GPU/memory resources go further my small and useless knowledge.

#26 Warren Hall Jr.

Warren Hall Jr.

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff

Posted Oct 16 2018 - 09:28 AM

Because GPL is not an installed program Windows does not know it's running. It's also why anything more than a dual core is useless for GPL.

#27 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted Oct 16 2018 - 11:13 AM

I think Warren is right.  GPL only uses one or two cores regardless of the cpu size.  Further tests on my laptop show that the gpus never approach 100% load even with the most taxing mod and track graphics so the cpu must be the limiting factor.  And there is almost no difference in fps regardless of what Nvidia 3D graphics settings I use.

I've been using Task Manager to monitor the "logical processor" loads while GPL runs.  Overall, the cpu may be running at only 40%, but individual logical processors approach 100%.  So for GPL purposes, the cpu is maxed out.

I don't know a way to force the cpu to use more cores/logical processors with GPL.  Online sources say it's impossible without rewriting the program's code.

Edited by Lee200, Oct 16 2018 - 01:04 PM.

#28 Warren Hall Jr.

Warren Hall Jr.

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff

Posted Oct 16 2018 - 12:49 PM

I don't know if this works, but....http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258321-28-force-multi-threading

Never mind, I read the article and it doesn't work.

Edited by Warren Hall Jr., Oct 16 2018 - 12:57 PM.

#29 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted Oct 16 2018 - 12:57 PM

Just tried that method with no luck.  :(

Basically, that program specifies which logical processors a program will use.  By default, Windows automatically uses all cores/logical processors, but in theory, it might be possible to speed up GPL if you could force GPL to run on two virtual processors while also forcing any background programs to run on others.

You can do the same thing manually by using Task Manager and selecting the gpl process.  Then specify which virtual processor/s to use.  I tried that and got GPL to run on two virtual processors, but it had no effect on fps.  :(

Also tried using one virtual processor and GPL CTD.  :(

My overall conclusion is that with today's PCs, graphics cards can handle GPL easily, but it's still important to have the fastest cpu possible.

Edited by Lee200, Oct 16 2018 - 01:02 PM.

#30 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,918 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Oct 16 2018 - 02:26 PM

I am running Nvidia GeForce Game Ready Driver 416.34 (released 10/11/2018) on my system and I don`t have any problems with GPL.
FPS are perfect.

Edited by Stefan Roess, Oct 16 2018 - 02:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links