Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:I'm Way Too Addicted to GPL For Anything Else
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 02:28 AM

ok now this is weird i tried some of the mods some of them work others i still get the error message

#17 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:AssettoCorsa,rFactor2,LiveForSpeed,Race07

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 04:08 AM

At which stage does the error message occur? Since you mentioned some mods are working, i guess GEM+ only crash when you hit the flag to start GPL with a troubled mod? Are those working mods' exe file (such as gplc65.exe) recently generated or from a while ago? Do you have those mods installed in the same GPL folder as the other none-working mods, or separately?

Also I always use GEM+ to generate multiple gpl exe of the same mod with different patches & features, so I can easily copy/override for quick swap (and allows me to avoid using GEM+ every time). And since those exe files won't be modified without GEM+ or other patchers, if something goes wrong I can be pretty sure it's not caused by the exe.

--------------
Just my personal opinion, the amount GEM+ problems people encountered is quite overwhelming (and a lot people gave up on the quest of finding solution). While a lot of them might due to mistake with configuration/setup, I feel GEM+ could really use some updates to improve compatibility and usability. GEM+ is such a great and vital program for GPL and sadly no longer being developed (along with the network counterpart, which are talked about a lot recently), if only the original creator could kindly make source code available (lots old game fan projects are opensource nowadays for better future development) for others to continue work on, things might be different.

Edited by SV3000, Oct 21 2018 - 05:01 AM.

#18 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,823 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 04:43 AM

Actually that kind of GEM+ crashing with the push of GPL button with some of the mods happens to me also.
Seems random; sometimes it happens, some other times everything goes smoothly.
For example, with the Sport Cars, if I delete its exe before to start GEM+ then it crashes and keep on crashing until I reboot the PC. At that point it doesn't crash anymore and enters GPL as supposed to.
It happened also with the 65 mod, with 67 xtra and 69 xtra mod.

I never had these issues before; it's a few months that happens and I never payed too much attention to it but if there is someone who figure out the cause, it will be great :)

#19 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 05:40 AM

yes SV as soon as i hit the green button ill get the message with some mods while others it will go through n i can drive laps

originally the exe files had been in the gpl folder for awhile but since the error occurred (hadn't tried the old files) i just deleted them all then let gem rebuild em

what i have noticed is that the mods that don't work in gem if you click on them within gpl i get a Error windows cannot access the specified device path or file you my not have permission to access the item message

#20 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 06:04 AM

grrrrrrrrr late last night  SV3000 you ask me about my anti virus but silly me forgot to check it to busy trying other things

only just remembered to check it n guess what it had blocked some of the mods grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

must of happened after the update  so Ginetto if you are having the same problems check your anti virus software

so thanks to everyone for helping me out

#21 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 06:21 AM

Glad you have solved problem :lol:. I used to have similar problem with anti virus, some kind HIPS defense system would block any unrecognized full screen games, which not only turned whole screen black, but also make all keystrokes useless (had to do hard reset), and it took me a long time to find out why.

#22 Brocky05

Brocky05

King of the Mountain

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 06:57 AM

thanks mate dont no why i didnt check it earlier to many late nites i guess still carnt figure out why it block some n not others

#23 Lee200

Lee200

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 07:48 AM

View PostSV3000, on Oct 21 2018 - 04:08 AM, said:

Just my personal opinion, the amount GEM+ problems people encountered is quite overwhelming (and a lot people gave up on the quest of finding solution). While a lot of them might due to mistake with configuration/setup, I feel GEM+ could really use some updates to improve compatibility and usability. GEM+ is such a great and vital program for GPL and sadly no longer being developed (along with the network counterpart, which are talked about a lot recently), if only the original creator could kindly make source code available (lots old game fan projects are opensource nowadays for better future development) for others to continue work on, things might be different.

We've had some discussions about this in the past.  GEM+ is a great program, but its most essential use is for patching the donor .exe to make a mod .exe.  All the other stuff are bells and whistles that make life easier for the GPL player, but can be done manually.

The only problems I've experienced are when GEM+'s .ini file gets corrupted.  This happens on occasion for no apparent reason.  It's sometimes possible to hand edit the .ini to fix it, but the easiest solution is to just delete the .ini and then add the various GPL installations and mods from scratch.

Paul Thurston was the author of GEM+ and is still around, but I don't think he is interested in doing more development work on GPL or GEM+.  AFAIK, GEM+ was written in Visual Basic 6 which, like Latin, is a dead language now.

I could probably write a GEM+ substitute in VB.net, but it would only be a simple file patcher and not have GEM+'s bells and whistles.  As long as GEM+ still works well, it's not worth the effort to change it.

#24 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• Supporter
  • 2,462 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 08:45 AM

GEM+ has been thru a few revisions of its bells and whistles.
(Still have working v1.14.3 maybe?)

Options to change driver cam were dropped a long time ago, for instance.
:(

Modifying driver cam display view as with CarCamEdit cams would be nice.

Recall a thread here with Bernd Nowak and a discussion with him about GEM's future and the idea of it being the spine from which GPL's diverse features could be integrated into one user interface.

So at that moment there was anticipation of many future yet unknown revisions to enhance bells and whistles.

Integration of VROC and iGOR, xml file capability, etc. were part of that evolution?.

So, completely agreeing with Lee, no need to scrap it yet, or at all.

Another aspect of Grand Prix Legends that is always of concern is that it works at all given its cobbly-wobbly-conflaguration of code that encompasses the evolution of Windows from 95-98 thru 10. Acknowledgement of this circumstance and the consequences of ignoring it are what, jmvho, dropped interest in DX11/12.

Its not just about keeping up. Its about preserving all the effort reflected in the Credits List.

There should probably be some graduate level studies on how Grand Prix Legends has survived at all.

Happy 20th Birthday GPL also btw
:D

Edited by John Woods, Oct 21 2018 - 08:48 AM.

#25 SV3000

SV3000

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 11:09 AM

hi Lee and John, thanks for the clarification!

Didn't know GEM+ was coded in an old language, totally agreed it is not worth making changes atm. Glad to hear there are concerns about future improvement. It's an amazing job everyone has done in the past 20 years to make GPL alive and better (been following GPL since the RSC days, good memories). The more i have played GPL the more i am impressed by its depth (and new stuff discovered), and the car phys/handling is one of the best among the sims i have played, hopefully that one day it will get officially re-released.

And Happy Birthday to GPL and the community!

#26 marco lenarduzzi

marco lenarduzzi

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:racing sims,cars, F1,cooking,skiing

Posted Oct 21 2018 - 05:00 PM

Glad you got it all sorted out :thumbup:
To touch on the subject of anti viruses. With windows 10 all you really need is windows defender. I got rid of my AVG anti virus over a year ago and turned on windows defender with out any problems what soever. It's less evasive and is hardly noticeable running in the background. Boot up time is also much faster. Those antivirus's can behave like a virus themselves. Some are so well embedded into your system you need an exorcist to remove them. Just some food for thought.  :) Happy twentieth GPL

Edited by marco lenarduzzi, Oct 21 2018 - 05:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links