Spehert77

Open Wheel Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Auto racing history
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Nov 03 2015 - 01:40 PM

Anyone still working on a USAC 1967 mod for GPL?

Years ago, I attempted to put something together.  I had a small group who were pitching in - but it never went anywhere.  I just found all of my files - and I did do a lot of work painting skins and making other graphical updates.

There was not really any work done to the car models themselves (or to the physics).  I just repainted existing cars that matched as closely as possible.

I'd love to revisit this project.  I've had a few life changes recently that now mean I have more free time than I've had in a long time.

They're some great tracks out there.

Any interest?  Anyone working on something like this?

My areas of expertise would be painting and research.

Thoughts?

#2 TvO

TvO

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Interests:Unknown
  • Sim interest:other

Posted Nov 03 2015 - 04:06 PM

I picked your project up for a while :) . we made a Paxton Turbine and some preliminary physics. But I got caught up in real life stuff so had to abandon the project for a while. Other continued on for some time but the project has layed dormant for some time. 1966 Can-Am mod release is imminent, after that we plan to pursue the IndyCar mod again to show off the turbo Offenhauser engines we made for GPL :) .

This will not affect the progress of the 1955 mod, as I'm not very actively involved there.

Edited by TvO, Nov 03 2015 - 04:07 PM.

#3 Spehert77

Spehert77

Open Wheel Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Nov 03 2015 - 06:16 PM

Looks very promising!  An interesting era for open-wheel racing in the United States - some very interesting designs.  I wasn't born until 1977 - so I missed out - but my dad attended his first Champ Car race in 1962 - so he saw the transition from the big front-engine roadsters to the sleek rear-engine machines that finished out the decade.

If I can help at all with the USAC mod - let me know.  I use Photoshop extensively in my regular job so I'm pretty good at most graphic stuff and I'd love to lend a hand.

The turbine looks great, BTW.  Thoughts on the physics?  Would have been trouble on the road circuits with the throttle lag (I would think).  I know Chapman attempted to make one work in F1 with limited success.

Also - some of the screenshots look like they're at the Milwaukee Mile which is located about 5 miles from where I'm sitting right now!

#4 Iestyn16

Iestyn16

Tom Pryce

• Members
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Music

Posted Nov 05 2015 - 04:17 PM

Looks great Tommie :). I think JonnyO also was doing the USAC 66 and 72 skins?

#5 Spehert77

Spehert77

Open Wheel Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Nov 06 2015 - 02:08 PM

The trick with creating a complete USAC mod is figuring out how to create all of the different chassis/engine combinations that were run.  You had two basic engines: the Turbo Offy and the 4-Cam Ford...but they were slung on the back of several different chassis.  Also, many (if not most) of the cars run in USAC had their chassis offset because they were mostly run on ovals.  AJ Foyt's 1967 Indy-winning Coyote, for example.  The fuel tanks were all on the left side of the tub - creating a distinct bulge on one side of the car.

I think you'd have to maybe settle on the 7 most common chassis/engine combinations??

Most of the tracks already exist for GPL - which I think is a huge plus.  The ability to run the 1967 National Championship would be a must.

Phoenix (1967 version)
Trenton
Langhorne (1967 version)
Milwaukee Mill
Indianapolis
Mosport
Mont-Tremblant
Riverside

The only tracks that don't exist (I believe) are the road course at IRP and the obscure Hanford Speedway (which I would think could be created easily enough).

The one element of the 1967 USAC season which would have to be left out would be the Champ Dirt Car portion of the series - but oh well.

Interesting that nobody has ever attempted a version of IRP??

#6 Spehert77

Spehert77

Open Wheel Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Nov 06 2015 - 02:27 PM

Hanford was an interesting track.  1.4 miles - it was roughly triangular.  Each corner had a different radius and it was banked.  Turns 1 and 2 were at 22 degrees, while Turn 3 was at 18 degrees.  There were two small ovals in the infield, plus a road course section AND a lake large enough for "drag" boats.  It ran into financial trouble was all-but-abandoned by the mid-70's.  It sat - unused - until about 1984 when it was torn down.

The 2.5 mile road course at IRP isn't very interesting - but it is historic.  Mario Andretti won his first Champ Car race there back in 1965!

#7 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,464 posts
  • Interests:GPL - start a collection of GPL era die cast racing cars -Skiing

Posted Nov 06 2015 - 03:24 PM

a little travel to the Hanford experience

Attached Files

Edited by M Needforspeed, Nov 06 2015 - 03:40 PM.

#8 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,731 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Nov 07 2015 - 03:29 AM

And this :wave:

Attached Files

#9 Pavel

Pavel

Bruce McLaren

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Interests:Racing, Simracing, Music

Posted Nov 07 2015 - 06:13 AM

View PostSpehert77, on Nov 06 2015 - 02:08 PM, said:

Most of the tracks already exist for GPL - which I think is a huge plus.  The ability to run the 1967 National Championship would be a must.

Phoenix (1967 version)
Trenton
Langhorne (1967 version)
Milwaukee Mill
Indianapolis
Mosport
Mont-Tremblant
Riverside

The only tracks that don't exist (I believe) are the road course at IRP and the obscure Hanford Speedway (which I would think could be created easily enough).
Trenton is also missing. There is alpha version of IRP by Rick King.

#10 Winin Turnone

Winin Turnone

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Nov 07 2015 - 07:02 AM

Can't your NL Trenton be converted one day Pavel ?

#11 gliebzeit

gliebzeit

Targa Fan

• Supporter
  • 1,907 posts
  • Interests:Old guy stuff...

Posted Nov 07 2015 - 08:37 AM

Sergio Loro has a beta of Trenton that is looking very good.
I'm sure that if we ask him nicely.....  :)

Attached Files

Edited by gliebzeit, Nov 07 2015 - 08:41 AM.

#12 ginetto

ginetto

GPL track editor

• Administrators
  • 2,731 posts
  • Interests:Mountain

Posted Nov 07 2015 - 09:09 AM

Trenton was almost finished, done by Sergio Loro. It shouldn't be that much effort to get it ready for a public release .

Instead I lost in last year robbery Indianapolis with correct banking inclination and Milwaukee mile which I really liked how it came out. I will not do another try.

#13 Spehert77

Spehert77

Open Wheel Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Nov 07 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostPavel, on Nov 07 2015 - 06:13 AM, said:

View PostSpehert77, on Nov 06 2015 - 02:08 PM, said:

Phoenix (1967 version)
Trenton
Langhorne (1967 version)
Milwaukee Mill
Indianapolis
Mosport
Mont-Tremblant
Riverside

Trenton is also missing. There is alpha version of IRP by Rick King.

I do have a beta of Trenton...never saw the version of IRP - though Rick helped me with a few track when I was working on this mod.  This is where the circular version of Langhorne came from!

#14 Spehert77

Spehert77

Open Wheel Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Nov 07 2015 - 11:35 AM

I have not driven the version of the Mile in awhile.  As long as it has the old main grandstand - I'd think it would simply need some graphical work to give it a vintage feel.  The Mile is about 4-5 miles up the road from my house - and my dad has been attending races there since 1962.  I definitely know what graphical changes would need to be made.

I also have to fire up the version of Trenton that I have - not sure who the author was.

I think I need to learn how to create tracks!  Could be fun, right?!

#15 Spehert77

Spehert77

Open Wheel Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted Nov 07 2015 - 11:50 AM

There is a Trenton Speedway 1967 pinned on the GPL Request page.  Claims to be a final version - not a beta.  Anyone ever run this track?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links