- - - - -

Fia Has Done It. They Have Officially Killed F1.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Bruce

Bruce

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:None
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 20 2017 - 11:06 PM

View Postt3r, on Jul 19 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

F1 has been dead for a long time ...
My sentiments exactly. It is mobile joke compared to what it was even in the 1990s.
Indycar (or whatever they call it now) is going to same way with that stupid semi-enclosed design they are using now.

I haven't followed either of these formats for many years; my televised motorsport fix is provided very nicely by MotoGP, thank you very much.

Edited by Bruce, Jul 20 2017 - 11:07 PM.

#17 Millennium

Millennium

Roger Williamson

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:GPL

Posted Jul 21 2017 - 02:06 AM

I may be wrong, but I believe Indycar will get rid of those wheelguards next year?

#18 Int

Int

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted Jul 21 2017 - 02:19 AM

I hope that "the flying bolt" will be smart enough to go hit the protection instead of the driver's visor...

Intruder

#19 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Too Much Fun

Posted Jul 21 2017 - 05:41 PM

Compromise...

Attached Files

Edited by John Woods, Jul 21 2017 - 06:08 PM.

#20 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:Check out my channel for some nice GPL content :)

Posted Jul 27 2017 - 03:44 PM

This is interesting... so the FOM put the positive comments of Vettel, Alonso and Ericsson, but they left out the negative comments by H├╝lkenberg, Verstappen and Magnussen.

Biased political correctness, much? :hmm:

#21 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,173 posts

Posted Aug 28 2017 - 09:24 AM

This recent freaky crash makes me think okay, some sort of halo-like protection is a good idea.

http://autoweek.com/...ar-race-gateway

#22 paul skingley

paul skingley

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted Aug 29 2017 - 01:34 PM

No one wants to see drivers killed on live TV ESPECIALLY if your name is all over the car. And money talks.

But would that halo have prevented Senna's death ? It looks as if a suspension component could still easily get through the gaps in the halo system.

I think the whole thing is a knee jerk reaction to Henry Surtees accident which was tragic fluke. I do not think you can make a race car safe for every possibility.

Edited by paul skingley, Aug 29 2017 - 01:34 PM.

#23 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • Interests:GPL and GPL editing

Posted Aug 30 2017 - 02:32 AM

Short of a canopy that will stop anything getting to the driver's head then I don't see how you could be certain that a component couldn't miss the halo and still hit the driver, just as Paul says. For larger stuff like wheels etc. it might make a difference, although I still don't see that it could actually be all that strong and rigid to resist a bouncing tyre and wheel which is still very heavy and will still have a large amount of momentum. Likewise I don't think that a halo or a canopy could have made a difference to Jules Bianchi in his accident, where the fault was entirely poor procedure and not a fault of the car design.

I can also see a problem that in the case of needing to extract a driver from the car that either a halo or a canopy could cause an issue, although fortunately fire in accidents does seem to be much less of an issue that it used to be.

The big thing is though that neither solution makes any sort of difference once cars touch wheels and get airborne. At that point all bets are off and it is down to luck what the car lands on and indeed which way up it is, or in fact if it is still within the confines of the circuit. The energy involved in these types of accident aren't going to get dissipated by a canopy or a hoop of carbon fibre.

The bottom line for me is that motor racing is dangerous. It always has been and it even says so on the ticket. You cannot legislate for every possible scenario or freak circumstance, although obviously organisers do have a duty of care to take every reasonable and sensible precaution to ensure driver and crowd safety. I do see a problem with perceived safety, however, that if drivers do feel safer they are more likely to take unacceptable risks and also to be much more aggressive in their driving as they have a sense that they won't get hurt. As I said above, once cars touch and start flying then you are into a whole other type of accident where the cars can leave the confines of the track and this type of accident I think is much more likely to happen where driver's are defending aggressively, weaving, moving late under braking, or indeed perhaps if they have obstructed or restricted peripheral vision due to a carbon fibre hoop around their head.

Rob

#24 John Woods

John Woods

Be Somebody

• GPLLinks Team
  • 2,173 posts

Posted Aug 31 2017 - 02:24 PM

How much is the sport of motor racing a metaphor for real life?

Many years ago went to a Neal family reunion and was told the story of how the hand became applied to the crest. In a competition for a kingdom as a reward for glory in battle, on seeing that he would be unable to win a foot race for the land, the Neal patriarch cut off his hand and threw it ahead to claim his estate.

Talk about blood sport...a few of his genes are alleged to be scattered about somewhere in my DNA, so the story has stuck because regardless of my desire it is part of me. Have many times asked myself sincerely, in view of my pathetic life, would I have even thought of that and had the courage to carry it out to win a kingdom?

Maybe back then, but probably not now.

Motor racing grew as a sport between and after two world wars in which millions of lives were lost and philosophers fathered Existentialism. So many died, and with so much horror and tragedy, that life itself seemed to became worthless in contrast to the suffering and sacrifice of those who perished in pursuit of a greater good.

Surely it is sport to risk one's life in pursuit of folly when others are dying and have died for an humanitarian cause. But it is only an acceptable metaphor while life has very little commodity value.

Once a single life becomes more valuable in life than in death we will refine our definitions of sport and of a champion.

Recent idea: pop-off canopy with built-in roll bar that is set over driver's helmet but not so far forward it blocks view to side.
Also maybe some attention to aero and the undersides of cars to prevent them becoming aircraft when they loose contact with track.

Apologies for the bighead post.
:D

Attached Files

Edited by John Woods, Aug 31 2017 - 08:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links