• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kingkat

Kingkat

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Reading and researching GP Racing. Especially during the early years.
  • Sim interest:I am here to spam and wish to be deleted after registering

Posted Jun 27 2010 - 01:42 PM

Tried to install each part.........without saving to any directory brfore I had all 3 parts.

Would not move or save anywhere..........since its in 3 parts I guess (because I am not very PC savy) a Step By Step Instruction to help.

Otherwise game installed and runs good.

thanks

#2 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jun 27 2010 - 03:58 PM

I assume you mean the P&G mod file itself.  If you d/l'd three parts, put all three rar files in one directory, right click on the number one file and select "extract here".  You should end up with a single exe file just over one gig in size.  With GTR2 installed (should be V1.1.0.0, if not, apply the official patch) and the GTL disk in the CD/DVD drive, double click that large exe (if you're using Vista, right click>"run as administrator") and select the option to create a new install;  this will copy all the necessary files from the GTR2 install and the GTL CD into a new folder and patch them to P&G.  This may take a few minutes but you should then have your original GTR2 install and a separate P&G install.  Run the GTR2config in the P&G folder to set graphics options and you should be ready to go.

Also, if you're running Vista (you have my condolences if you are), don't install GTR2 or P&G to C:\Program Files.  Install to C:\GTR2, C:\P&G, instead.

Edited by jgf, Jun 27 2010 - 04:04 PM.

#3 Kingkat

Kingkat

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Reading and researching GP Racing. Especially during the early years.

Posted Jun 27 2010 - 04:14 PM

YES........I have VISTA........ :blink: .........should have waited and gone to Win7, or stayed with XP.............

will do this.............I appreciate the help.

:thumbup:

NEXT: a LeMans Track.........gotta run the Ford GT40........luv the sound......... :clap2:

the TRACKS go into the GTR2 folder, correct? didn't see any other folder there...........

Edited by Kingkat, Jun 27 2010 - 04:30 PM.

#4 aSa

aSa

Denny Hulme

• GTLW Crew
  • 252 posts
  • Sim interest:P&G for GTR2

Posted Jun 28 2010 - 12:05 AM

If you didn't use "the install option 3" (which creates a mixed GTR2/P&G installation.. which is not recommended), you have a separate P&G installation with its own GameData\Locations folder.

Note that SOME tracks need to be installed at the root of installation path (like for example: C:\Program Files\P&G2\).  If the path in an archive begins with "GameData\...." then this is the case.

SOME other tracks needs to be installed at the "Locations" folder (like: C:\Program Files\P&G2\GameData\Locations\).  The path in these archives begins usually with a variation of a track name (that is: not with GameData).

Of course to see those first folder names you need to be able to open archives.  They are usually zip, rar or 7z files so WinRAR or 7Zip will open them nicely.

Posted Image

Edited by aSa, Jun 28 2010 - 12:06 AM.
D'oh

#5 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted Jun 28 2010 - 01:38 AM

I always extract the track into an empty folder, then copy/paste the actual track folder into the Gamedata\locations folder.  Same with adding cars, just be sure to get them in the proper gamedata\teams\... folder;  and occasionally they have extra files which go elsewhere, but it's easy to figure out.

There is a utility at nogrip which, through some windows legerdemain, allows you to have only one locations folder shared between GTR2 and P&G so you don't need two copies of the tracks installed (with about 400 tracks available this can quickly eat up some HD space).  I don't use it, mainly because I couldn't decipher the setup procedure and there were too many warnings about removing it properly (also because I use different LOD screens in GTR2 and P&G).

#6 aSa

aSa

Denny Hulme

• GTLW Crew
  • 252 posts

Posted Jun 28 2010 - 03:22 AM

heh, the warnings are there for a good reason Posted Image.

The point for the warnings are that if you (for example) remove a track from your "ghosted"/target installation (f.ex. from P&G) by just deleting it or decide to uninstall P&G v2 completely, your master/source track directories (those of which were ghosted to P&G) will be empty as a result.  Simple, but I learned that by the hard way Posted Image.

Btw.. P&Gv3 uninstaller is "TrackLinker-aware"  Posted Image

#7 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted Jun 28 2010 - 05:58 AM

View PostaSa, on Jun 28 2010 - 03:22 AM, said:

... but I learned that by the hard way ...

Which, unfortunately, is how I usually learn things.  So I left that program alone.

But it's a moot point if you want to use those magnificent coordinated P&G LOD screens (created by some obviously wonderful person) and not have them also appear in GTR2.

#8 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts

Posted Jun 28 2010 - 06:19 AM

View PostaSa, on Jun 28 2010 - 03:22 AM, said:

Btw.. P&Gv3 uninstaller is "TrackLinker-aware"  Posted Image
:hat-tip:  Excellent. I use track linker and have not had a drama, probably because I make a backup of my sims every couple of weeks. Things usually only go wrong when I don't have a backup :o

Edited by Burnsy865, Jun 28 2010 - 06:19 AM.

#9 Kingkat

Kingkat

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 145 posts

Posted Jun 28 2010 - 02:31 PM

So far I have installed a "Le Mans" track. Looks great, nice graphics and a real WOW factor.

I am just very a little shy about some tracks and installs. It seemes I always have some kind of problem with this downloading stuff.... :idunno:

But overall, the GTR2 and the P&G mod are awesome! The Ford GT40 is a monster machine!!!!! :shock:  I can hradly keep it on the track, let alone actually drive it around.  :shock:

But I really appreciate the help. Just ask a few of the guys from GPL. WE spent almost 3 days trying to figure out HOW to get Targa Florio installed. :duh:  Finally got it to work and its absolutely georgeous!

Next up: a racing wheel. Trying to decide between a Logitech DFGT or a 'refurbished' MOMO. I think Logitech is the way to go. :D
I think (at the moment) a G27 is a little too much to spend.  I need to stay around 100USD.

#10 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted Jun 28 2010 - 07:50 PM

Which Lemans are you using?  There's the recently released 70Lemans, and several variations of the modern track;  but my favorite is from http://www.virtua-lm.com/lemans/ ; they make versions representing 1971-1996, all excellent.

#11 Kingkat

Kingkat

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 145 posts

Posted Jun 28 2010 - 08:46 PM

Will look at that one too.......I just love Lemans.

Question......I installed the 67LeMans track to: GTR2/Gamedata/Locations and it shows in game and plays.

I installed 70Nordschleife (same path) shows in My Computer.........but not in game? Does it need another path?

#12 jgf

jgf

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted Jun 28 2010 - 09:52 PM

Make sure you don't have the track files in a subdirectory;  it should be Locations\70Nordschleife\ with 17 files there. If you have Locations\70Nordschleife\70Nordschleife\, or some such, it won't work.  Also, to belabor the obvious, make sure you have the GTR2 version of the track (it's also available for GTL and rfactor).

#13 Burnsy865

Burnsy865

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 1,835 posts

Posted Jun 28 2010 - 10:44 PM

View PostKingkat, on Jun 28 2010 - 02:31 PM, said:

Next up: a racing wheel. Trying to decide between a Logitech DFGT or a 'refurbished' MOMO. I think Logitech is the way to go. :D
I think (at the moment) a G27 is a little too much to spend.  I need to stay around 100USD.
:2c:  I'm no expert because I have only tried a few different wheels over the years. I had a Momo for years, had only minor problems that were easy fixes but then I picked up a second hand G25, chalk and cheese, I wish I had the G25 years ago. If you could find a decent G25 that's cheap, I would recommend it but the momo isn't a bad start on a budget.
Of course with the G25 you get a clutch pedal and 6 speed H shift, perfect for Power and Glory.

#14 aSa

aSa

Denny Hulme

• GTLW Crew
  • 252 posts

Posted Jun 29 2010 - 12:50 AM

One vote for G25 from here.  Maybe it is a bit more expensive than its older brother(s) but it is pretty good for its money.  Powerful (twin) effects motors, clutch (you need it for the LONG gears Posted Image, for Le Mans, old Spa etc), wheel and pedals are quite sturdy (I don't mention the shifter here Posted Image, it's the weak point), real leather on wheel, flaps (below the wheel) are *still* working for me.

I recommend this wheel if you are into (sim)racing.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links