#16 Rudy Dingemans

Rudy Dingemans

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL

Posted Jul 12 2011 - 09:20 AM

Thanks to you guys for taking the job (no small one) on! Also, I think in the long run, the conversion gives room to further update it down the road in all kinds of sims to come - which in GPL isn't so easy.

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -40)

#17 Stefan Roess

Stefan Roess

Denny Hulme

• GPLLinks Team
  • 1,918 posts
  • Interests:racing :)
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Jul 12 2011 - 11:58 AM

Thx guys (GPL and rF)! I just did a lap in the 70s Porsche and it feels and looks great!

Thinking back to those days (years ago), when we tested the early GPL beta versions of Targa (there was almost no vegitation nor houses :D ) I never ever thought this track could be available for rFactor. And now it is... :D

:hat-tip::thumbup::clap2:

Edited by Stefan Roess, Jul 12 2011 - 12:00 PM.

#18 WPK

WPK

Chris Irwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted Jul 17 2011 - 07:43 PM

grazie mille -

I love the track in both GPL and rFactor!

#19 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,847 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Jul 18 2011 - 04:37 PM

It's fantastic being able to drive the Gulf Porsche 908/03 around Targa. If rFactor had a WSC 1970 Rank site it might just steal my heart away from GPL!  :shock:  :P  :D

#20 dbell84

dbell84

Dan Gurney For President

• Supporter
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Whatever

Posted Jul 18 2011 - 05:34 PM

Thanks to 6e66o and his team for the hard work it must have took to make this conversion.  I looked at the screens at the site and it looks fantastic.  I probably won't get a chance to try it until tomorrow, but the screens look super.  It looks like the rFactor version does great justice to the amazing work of the GPL team.

On a side note, I never noticed that Jim Pearson did work on the GPL version.  I missed that when Targa was released for GPL, but saw it on the credits at the rFactor site.  Pretty cool that so many of the great GPL track makers contributed to Targa.  

Thanks for all the hard work from both the GPL team and the rFactor team for this one of a kind masterpiece.

Dave

edit: Strange, when installing the rfactor version I saw the GPL read me was included.  When I looked at the credits, Jim's name isn't there.  Must be a typo at the rfactor Targa site?  :idunno:

Edited by dbell84, Jul 18 2011 - 05:56 PM.

#21 sky

sky

ultra highres junkie & 917 addict

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:travel, music, racing, vintage cars, model cars

Posted Jul 19 2011 - 05:52 AM

View PostSaiph, on Jul 18 2011 - 04:37 PM, said:

It's fantastic being able to drive the Gulf Porsche 908/03 around Targa. If rFactor had a WSC 1970 Rank site it might just steal my heart away from GPL!  :shock:  :P  :D

well a 908/3 is in the works for gpl...  :report: (and a few others 1971 monsters)

#22 Saiph

Saiph

Drives 4 Team BDS

• Supporter
  • 1,847 posts
  • Interests:Computer gaming (esp. sims, strategy, RPG), real ale, live music, motor sports, boring the NSA/GCHQ to death.

Posted Jul 20 2011 - 06:16 AM

I seem to be having a problem with the rFactor version of Targa Florio. The track installed fine, and I can enjoy driving it. However, I've now completed three laps, and rFactor doesn't seem to want to record my laptime. I run in testing mode (using the WSC 1970 mod), which seems to work fine for tracks like VLM Le Mans and others. But when I cross the finish line at Targa, I drive on and slow down for half a mile or so, and then exit out of the test session. rFactor saves a replay of my lap with no problem, but it doesn't update the laps display in the game. It always says zero laps completed, and no laptime recorded. After driving around for about 40 minutes, this is a bit disappointing!

Anyone have any suggestions as to why this happens? Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I've just remembered that I also don't get the pit guy sending me a radio message telling me what my laptime was. Seems to be another symptom that something isn't working correctly.

Edited by Saiph, Jul 20 2011 - 06:30 AM.

#23 Jim Pearson

Jim Pearson

Denny Hulme

• Supporter
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Trackmaking, Bike Road Racing, Links Golf, Long Distance Walking.

Posted Jul 23 2011 - 01:37 AM

View Postdbell84, on Jul 18 2011 - 05:34 PM, said:

Thanks to 6e66o and his team for the hard work it must have took to make this conversion.  I looked at the screens at the site and it looks fantastic.  I probably won't get a chance to try it until tomorrow, but the screens look super.  It looks like the rFactor version does great justice to the amazing work of the GPL team.

On a side note, I never noticed that Jim Pearson did work on the GPL version.  I missed that when Targa was released for GPL, but saw it on the credits at the rFactor site.  Pretty cool that so many of the great GPL track makers contributed to Targa.  

Thanks for all the hard work from both the GPL team and the rFactor team for this one of a kind masterpiece.

Dave

edit: Strange, when installing the rfactor version I saw the GPL read me was included.  When I looked at the credits, Jim's name isn't there.  Must be a typo at the rfactor Targa site?  :idunno:

Actually, I didnt work on Targa at all.

I think my name was included simply because I assisted Nigel by making and testing ultra long test tracks when he was experimenting with making a viable long tracks patch.

For Targa, credit must go to those who actually worked on it, especially those who put the most work into it, like Ginetto, Sergio, Richard and Nigel.

#24 thomass

thomass

Denny Hulme

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Sim interest:GPL and P&G

Posted Sep 14 2011 - 07:18 AM

Thank you 6e66o and team for this beautiful convertion.

As I don't own rFactor I only can compare available screenshots and youtube videos to the original GPL version. As far as I can judge you seem to have done a great job and, more important, with the recommended respect to the original creators.

With your release my hope grew that one day I will be able as an owner of GTR2 and user of P&G to move some historic sheet metal with tin tops around the track I love so much in GPL. That hope still was there when you announced you will not convert it to GTR2 by yourself as there might be some further kind person/group that will do it in the same respectfull way as you did the rFactor convertion.

Joy was high when I first learned on nogrip that there might be a convertion. But as further that thread at nogrip developed (http://www.nogriprac...ad.php?t=263423) the more I felt disappointed and angry how it came out. While your convertion project showed how it should be done that other one is a complete "how to not do it at all".

I don't write this at nogrip as the other person already proved he is not able/willing to learn anything. Anything I could write over there at nogrip whould only result in one more ridiculous response of that person that hurts the soul of every respectful racesim fan and makes the situation even worse. And there is already enough damage done by now.

So let me here express my support for how you handle that unpleasant situation and let me say thank you again for that you proved that convertions can be done the right way.

Regards,
Thomas

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sim Racing Links